Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronised Fridays 2013

My choice for the sync was Ropion's Une Fleur de Cassie.

Oh dear for tomorrow. Spring fragrance. We have snow, its freezing and I have the cold. Trust me Spring is something happening to other people. LOL
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Oh dear for tomorrow. Spring fragrance. We have snow, its freezing and I have the cold. Trust me Spring is something happening to other people. LOL
    Same here (luckily I don't have the cold). I was apparently too optimistic when I scheduled this sync for the end of March... :-(

Not very spring-like here either - snow on the cars this morning! But it has been a beautiful sunny day so maybe the weather is turning at last.

OK - spring - I'm thinking fluffy bunnies, daffodils, birds tweeting, renewal, etc ... a fresh floral comes to mind, maybe L'Occitane Fleur Cherie, OJ Osmanthus or a soft musky frag like SJP Lovely.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, none of the above ... Forever and Ever Dior - pink floral loveliness. At least I smell like it's spring, even if the weather isn't obliging.
    Last edited by devilcat; 21st March 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Spring fragrance...... lawdy. It's nithering in my garrett. It would have to be something cold and snowdroppy or green shoots through cold earth. Actually I've just looked outside for inspiration and it's raining.... so I'm going with:-

Serge Lutens - L'Eau

That's kind of Springy.... April rain

I have settled for an "end of winter" fragrance instead: Gourmandises from Keiko Mecheri. It doesn't feel like spring over here...

Morning. Well it's not very Spring like here either. We have heavy snow falling! I've gone for a very Springy fragrance though. Olivia Giacobetti's En Passant. Smells just like a lilac bush in full bloom. But don't be deceived into thinking that means delicate. Not at all. If you have ever stuffed your nose into a lilac bush you will know that those blossoms pack a punch, as do many Spring flowers, hyacinths, narcissus, and the like. As well as the hyper realistic lilac in this fragrance I noticed a rubbery note today, which reminds me, I had better go and dig my car out.
    Last edited by Foustie; 22nd March 2013 at 10:38 AM.

I've settled on Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan. It feels nothing like spring here!

I'm having another day getting to know Nohiba.
    It's a warm, carnation/spice based oriental and is
    keeping me warm in this snowy, windy Spring weather!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Its sleeting outside, I have an awful cold. But for spring I chose Jo Malone White Lilac and Rhubarb.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

I hope you feel better soon, Donna.

For sync Friday I chose Diorissimo edp. It's probably my favorite scent for spring, it's a sign of things to come. It's definitely not spring either, it's -5F this morning and we have several feet of snow, but next week it's to get up above freezing. Hopefully then it's just a matter of time before the snow goes and the spring flowers start coming up. Diorissimo is one of the best lily of the valley fragrances out there, it's springtime in a bottle.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Get well soon, Donna!

No spring weather here; winter should be ashamed of itself, overstaying its welcome like this. Thinking like my sister-in-l'eau Foustie with the lilacs. Mine is Cote Bastide Lilas, a sheer lilac/carnation bouquet. Very, very pretty!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I went with Sophia Grojman's Tresor today for the Spring Sync. I think one of the bottles may be going slightly off but it's still pretty -I smell sort of like clover(and maybe wildflower) honey.It's cold here so Tresor's semi-heavy/semi-fluffy fragrance seems appropriate.
    Fragrance Omnivore

N°5 Eau Première. And actually there was a bit of sunlight here. But still below 0°C.

Basenotes Plus

Your most silent fragrance for tomorrow? Oh dear..... Should I go literal with Silences or simply wear something that is a skin scent?? Decisions, decisions???
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

First time taking part in this, having missed the last few.

In Penhaligon's Elixir today. Though strictly speaking, I suppose my quietest scent would be DSH Special Formula X.

Oh 'eck! This is a tricky one. May dig out my sample of L'Eau by Uncle Serge - that's pretty quiet, or that JHAG 'Not a Perfume'.

Hi Rowan - glad you're joining us.

Oh, boy, is this one timely. Husband brought home a stomach bug this week and guess who has it now? Quiet scents are the only kind I can fathom today. Prada Infusion d'Iris EDT it is.

Welcome, rowan-! Hope you'll join us for lots more syncs! Elixir is a nice choice, such a sheer, well-behaved spicy oriental!

Basenotes Plus

Hi, Rowan, welcome to sync Fridays!

Oh PerfumedLady, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope it passes quickly.

Today I chose Calvin Klein Beauty because it's very subtle. It has notes of ambrette, jasmine and cedarwood. Somehow it reminds me a little bit of Petite Cherie, they have totally different notes, but they seem similar to me. My most silent scent is Vera Wang Look, but it's just too quiet for me today.

Basenotes Institution

Kilwia, I love Beauty. It reminds me of something Lauder might have done. rowan, on me, Elixir is quite the Projection Monster - good luck.

me? I'm going with something from Jean Claude Ellena, one of my favorite Hermessences, Brin de Reglisse. Licorice/lavender/minimalism at its finest.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

In sync in TDC Osmanthus. This scent is just a whisper on my skin.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thanks devilcat, PerfumedLady and Kiliwia! Am already thinking about my choices for the next couple of weeks (although there are some I just don't seem to have any frags for... but perhaps they just need a little more thought) so yes, it does look as if I will be back for more sync Fridays.

Mikeperez23, I did use to think Elixir projected somewhat more than this. Then I took a bit of a break from it, and now it seems to have gone rather quiet on me (or maybe I've become anosmic to something in it and everyone else around me is choking on it). Maybe I should have gone for one of the Hermessences for today's sync!

Anyway you've just reminded me that I should revisit Brin de Reglisse, especially as I've been on a lavender run of late. It's probably the one Hermessence sample I've got that's still nearly full, so this ought to dovetail nicely with the "back-of-the-wardrobe" thread!

Basenotes Plus

Y'all smell quietly fabulous
    Decided on Amaranthine for my scent
    A Scent Rescuer

Welcome, rowan, to our little game!

I choose 1873 Colette for today. I am not sure if it is my most silent scent, Un Parfum d'Alleurs et Fleurs and Nuda aren't louder on me, either. I'm still not sure what to make of it: sharp lemon and powder. I'll hold off my decision until I have worn it in warm weather (if it ever comes...).

Great choices, everybody, now I am craving to put on TDC Osmanthus and Brin de Reglisse again.

queen of the universe

Me? Quiet? This is a stumper, but I'd have to say my quietest is Nocturnes de Caron.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hi girls. Sorrry I missed you on Friday. I was away for the weekend.

Well, I have a cracker for this synch. L'Antimatière by Isabelle Doyen for Lez Nez. Barely a murmer. Hmm. I've had this sample for a long time. I can "get" it as a perfumers exercise in minimalism but I don't get it as something that you would buy or wear. Today I am helped along by Darvants timeous review. All very interesting and my nose is stuck to my wrist. It would have to be to smell this.

At first all I can smell is a faintly rubbery note, then salty amber, all in barely a whisper.

I had a similar experience with L'Antimatiere to yours, Foustie. I could barely smell a thing. I'm curious how many bottles they actually sell of it...

Basenotes Institution

So tomorrow's synch...it means a sample I got from Luckyscent?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So tomorrow's synch...it means a sample I got from Luckyscent?
    Not necessarily, it means that you just grab a sample blindly and (hopefully) enjoy wearing it. I'll change the description in the list, it is indeed not clear.

- - - Updated - - -

This morning's blind sample grab has awarded me with VC&A Gardenia Petale. It could have been much worse... It is a pleasant straight-up gardenia which slowly becomes creamier as time passes. (Un)fortunately I am so spoiled by Isabey's amazingly beautiful Gardenia that all other gardenia scents (even though beautiful in their own right) seem inferior to me. I am enjoying Gardenia Petale though, it puts me in a spring mood (hopefully the weather will also follow and finally become spring-like).

- - - Updated - - -

Update: the "turning creamier" seems to be more like "turning more and more soapy", unfortunately.
    Last edited by bonsai; 5th April 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Thank you everyone, back to normal

So stuck my hand in a plastic bag of samples and the winner for today??????????

MPG Cuir Fetiche. I admit that the Les Senteurs samples have an advantage, because they are carded so you grab them first.
    DONNA

Doh! Forgot it was Friday so didn't check synch. My choice today was a random grab - Tam Dao - but a FB not a sample. Will join you later. My samples are all over the place but have a box full of Les Senteurs ones so will choose from there.

Basenotes Plus

Just grabbed mine - Tom of Finland. Completely forgotten that I had it at all. Here goes ...

French Cancan Caron. Gorgeous! Seldom Im like Caron fragrances, but this one is an exception. Want a FB
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

I'm going to have to do a virtual choice by spinning the wardrobe random wheel because I am such a hopeless fraghead case that mine are all catalogued in alphabetical order so I would know where I was grabbing...

Randomiser says.... Chanel Sycomore new.....

Okey dokey then.....

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Just grabbed mine - Tom of Finland. Completely forgotten that I had it at all. Here goes ...
    Go on yerself Jon!

OK, mine are kinda neat too in little boxes but I will guddle around a bit...OK SL Ambre Sultan for me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    guddle
    Well there's a new word for the day. I really like that one. Grab + muddle = guddle

Haha, guddle! I have a collection of 3 white antique compote dishes that I use to hold my samples. Nothing too fancy but they're cute and convenient. A guddle around the smallest dish produced CdG Vettiveru.

Little experience with CdG here, this is only the second I've tried. Vettiveru has a nice floral/salty vetiver note but like my first sampling experience with this house, it doesn't feel like a real perfume to me. More like a functional scent such as shampoo, body wash, etc. Vettiveru is nice, just wouldn't buy.

queen of the universe

Pulled out the several bubble envelopes of goodies from kind basenote friends, closed my eyes, touched an envelope, then blind-grabbed a vial . Balmain de Balmain—thank you, sg!— it is, a suitably springy floral with green and peppery notes, reminding me of the Penhaligon's Peoneve of a few days earlier thanks to 30 Rose's sample pass. I don't get the chypre quality in B de B that others note; otoh, I have just applied, and oakmoss is our fashionably late friend after all.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I'm going to have to do a virtual choice by spinning the wardrobe random wheel because I am such a hopeless fraghead case that mine are all catalogued in alphabetical order so I would know where I was grabbing...
    I'm not quite there yet but I do store my samples by house, so I gave the wardrobe randomiser a spin and it told me I was destined for... Forest Walk by Sonoma Scent Studio.

So I obediently headed for the SSS box, but started thinking about the other frags I wanted to revisit - Winter Woods? Fireside Intense? Tabac Aurea?

And then I pulled out the first vial and it was...

Forest Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    I'm not quite there yet but I do store my samples by house
    Lol... then I beg to differ... I fear you are with me already

Lol... then I beg to differ... I fear you are with me already
    Then the first vial would have been Fireside Intense!

queen of the universe

mumsy, my goal is to organize, alas. Shoes, pencils, fragrances, eyeglasses, paperwork, my whole house is a case of "I know it's here somewhere..."

I blind-grabbed Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume. Very faint sweetened tea, then sour-ish and fading quickly...

Most of my samples are in 4 boxes .So I Eeeny Meenyed and the Liz Claibourne Vivid hatbox style perfume box was" IT".I opened and blind chose the first I touched.Aaaarrgh ! I don't want to wear Georgio today!I looked at it.
    Whew...
    Not Georgio (of Beverly Hills).
    I random chose Sensi by Georgio Armani.
    Soft orange blossom seemed much nicer than strong tuberose today.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    I blind-grabbed Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume. Very faint sweetened tea, then sour-ish and fading quickly...
    Wow it's been years since I last wore Russian Caravan Tea. I must have bought it while I was on my tea frag roll though I don't remember it smelling anything like actual Russian Caravan Tea (which I love)!

I sense another back-of-wardrobe challenge coming up for me (thanks bonsai - has anyone ever told you that these two threads of yours complement each other very well?)

Basenotes Plus

Most of my samples are at work- where I'm not on Fridays.But on Thursday I grabbed Mary Greenwell Lemon carded sample out of the drawer so imma gonna count it for this sample sync. It's only a day ahead.

Nice fruity true lemon opening and then....it just kept reminding me of Balmain de Balmain. Nice, but not an upgrade over the Balmain.
    A Scent Rescuer

This sync got me so enthusiastic that after Gardenia Petale has faded I reached for another sample. This time I was rewarded with Le Chevrefeuille from Annick Goutal. I wish she had added less citrus and concentrated more on honeysuckle.

This was a fun sync!

Basenotes Plus

I got nothin' for VISCOUS (my sp?).
    Closest I can manage is the striking leather chypre Paradoxe de Cardin
    A Scent Rescuer

Hm I don't think I have anything really vicious in my wardrobe... perhaps Mona di Orio Cuir or Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascèse?

Anyway am nursing a woolly head and a leaky nose and couldn't bear the thought of getting roughed up by either. So I chickened out, cocooned myself in Les Néréides Opoponax overnight and then dragged myself to work in Calé Preludio d'Oriente... so much for vicious!

I was also thinking about perfume with leather - mona di orio cuir or lutens cuir mauresque. The latter is quite visious.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Ah, Cuir Mauresque. I need to try that some day (not today though). Funny that the perfume I eventually chose as my SOTD does actually have leather in it - Preludio d'Oriente is gorgeous incense with leather and wood, all very nice, dry, controlled and elegant. Not talked about very much here, but one I like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    mumsy, my goal is to organize, alas. Shoes, pencils, fragrances, eyeglasses, paperwork, my whole house is a case of "I know it's here somewhere..."
    It's only the frags that are in such order..... The rest of the house is in chaos....

I think today will have to be Oudh.

Oudh's goudh mumsy.

Well, I think that the most vicious fragrance that I have (sample) is the screeching, spitting Jasmine and Lemongrass harpy that is O'Driu's Leva, but for those very reasons I don't want wear it. Hmmm. There is always the whip cracking bitter Cabochard, fabulous, and the cold, cold, Silences.

Sorry gals, I'm wimping out...... I really want a rose tonight. BUT, BUTwait a minute, roses have thorns, and thorns are vicious. By gad I've done it!!!!

Don't I always say that "The Friday synch makes you think!"

So, Rose de Petra by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777, from a sample.

Lol.... I read the synch as viscous not vicious, that's why I chose Oudh... but it does as well either way.....

Basenotes Plus

A fragrance you perceive as "vicious". ok viscous works equally well. I rename this sync the -viscously vicious. Many more options with all the resinous ingredients available.

LOL Foustie you are a genius! I couldn't help think of Morticia Adams cutting off all the rose blooms from her thorny stems after reading your post.
    A Scent Rescuer

I could only come up with Tubereuse Criminelle for a "vicious" scent. Alas, I had to go scentless on Friday (and the entire weekend) so I did not wear it. I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to wear it anyway, it's quite a vile creature.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I could only come up with Tubereuse Criminelle for a "vicious" scent. Alas, I had to go scentless on Friday (and the entire weekend) so I did not wear it. I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to wear it anyway, it's quite a vile creature.
    Was that as a solid perfume or as a liquid perfume or edt out of curiosity? I tried it the other day and found it quite gentle and pleasant as the solid wax sample in their mailing sample set. I may have to try again now you say that and i'm no lover of tuberose scents normally.

Was that as a solid perfume or as a liquid perfume or edt out of curiosity? I tried it the other day and found it quite gentle and pleasant as the solid wax sample in their mailing sample set. I may have to try again now you say that and i'm no lover of tuberose scents normally.
    Hi mumsy, I have a bottle of Tubereuse Criminelle. I don't think there exist multiple versions of the "liquid" stuff. The gasoline-like note in it is very strong and it doesn't disappear later either. I only tried it on my wrist though. More "Criminelle" than "Tubereuse" on me.

Not sure how small you want but I think this one only has 3 fragrances?

Institut Tres Bien Tres Russe(the parfum, this one was limited edition usually its cologne)
    DONNA

I don't think you can make it much smaller, Donna! Though now that I come to think of it Maria Amalia only has one scent and so does Anne Pliska.

I am wearing Ormonde Jayne's Tiare form a sample, a beautiful green floral, leaning a bit towards a cyphre. A perfect spring scent.