Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronised Fridays 2013

Just got a bottle of Ted Lapidus Silk Way in the mail today -so of course that's what I applied immediately.Smells soft -almost a perfect dupe for Barbara Bui Le Parfum . So what to layer over ........hmm.. I love powerhouses so its not a matter of having one it's CHOOSING! Arrrrgh! Limited time .. I guess I'll overspray YSL Opium -it should be loud enough.Don't you think?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Basenotes Plus

lol - i do not wear 'loud' scents, only those with trop de sillage

fracas should do it
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

The loudest in my collection is original Juicy Couture. It is a bomb!

- - - Updated - - -

What would you say about some floral fridays during summer - favorite white flowers, rose to die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfir View Post
    What would you say about some floral fridays during summer - favorite white flowers, rose to die for?
    Thank you for the idea! I belive we already have a "Day of Roses" (will check it though) but I'll definitely add the white flower idea to the list.

Right, what's tomorrow then? Easy peasy, House of Guerlain. Habit Rouge maybe... or Jicky. I'll take a look at my stats and see which ones I've neglected of late.

Edit: Mitsouko - last worn 6th Sep 2011 - for shame, devilcat! Will give it some air tomorrow.
    Last edited by devilcat; 14th February 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Thank you for the idea! I belive we already have a "Day of Roses" (will check it though) but I'll definitely add the white flower idea to the list.
    What about a day of Italian perfumery? English perfumery? Arabic?

Small perfume companies?

Nose: Malle

Perfumes with a color in the name?

What about a day of Italian perfumery? English perfumery? Arabic?

Small perfume companies?

Nose: Malle

Perfumes with a color in the name?
    YES, yes, yes! Thank you!

House: Rosine/Mecheri/Malone

House:Caron/..

House: By Killian/Tom Ford

Favorite leather?

Oh Guerlain so many to choose from.

Okay Mitsouko.
    DONNA

For today I'm in Guerlain Parure 2004 LE. Bought for some months ago and have not tried it yet, shame..

In synch without realising it!
    I put some Jardins de Bagatelle on
    first thing. Not their most popular fragrance,
    but it puts me in the mood for Spring.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Started off sampling Rose Barbare, not for me. Will be showering and switching to Shalimar sooner rather than later.

Kewart, I've never smelled Jardins de Bagatelle. The Guide says it's similar to Eternity, do you find this to be true?
    The nose wants what it wants!

summer means fireflys

I thought today would be the perfect day to test one of a few Guerlain samples I have not tried yet. Les Voyages Olfactifs Moscow was the winner.

Notes (from the BN directory): pine needles, absinthe, plum, redcurrant, bergamot, lemon, jasmine, tonka bean, sandalwood, vanilla, white musk

Pine needles? Absinthe? Really? I don't smell a drop of anything remotely green, but your mileage may vary. It starts off a very candy-ish fruity/floral, which is really not my style. It settles into a pretty drydown with hints of sandalwood and tonka bean toning down the fruit. It rates "ok" in my book.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

oh myyyyy...we need a few more G syncs IMO. Maybe broken out by time periods? The early claasic years, the war years, midcentury to LVMH takeover- the present.

As I am going to a violin concert tonight, I am greatly torn as to which of my G-babies to bring out into society
    Leaning towards Philtre D'amour. Will report back later.
    A Scent Rescuer

I wore Shalimar edc for Guerlain scent synch. Earlier in the week I wore Shalimar Eau Legere from an old decant. I used to love that version, but this time it feels a bit sterile and flat next to the edc. The edc seems more alive and dimensional. On my skin it is very long lasting for an eau.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I wore Shalimar edc for Guerlain scent synch. Earlier in the week I wore Shalimar Eau Legere from an old decant. I used to love that version, but this time it feels a bit sterile and flat next to the edc. The edc seems more alive and dimensional. On my skin it is very long lasting for an eau.
    S, do you know which Eau Legere you have? The gold juice or the blue juice? I find the gold (which I happen to own) much more satisfying but I must admit I only wear it in warm weather, I find that in cool weather it just sort of sits there, like you describe. That lemon-cupcake accord really comes alive when my skin is warm. The Eau de Cologne, well you all know that is my absolute favorite version of Shalimar...although I must admit that my new 'vintage' bottle of EdC that I just cracked open about a month ago, seems to have aged a bit too much. The top notes are a little limp...not like I remember my last vintage bottle smelling. The one I have is from the 1960's so I know that I can't complain (that's 50 years ago) so when I'm finished with this bottle I might search for 1980's stock.

Lilybelle (or anyone else) do you like Eau de Shalimar?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, mine is the blue one (I think). It's an old decant, so I was wondering whether it might have been losing something, especially that lemon-cupcake feeling that I remember. The citrus notes are the first to go. Then I thought it might be my skin, as everything is different now on my skin. Hormones. The thing about buying vintage is: even if it has been sealed and protected you just can't expect 40 and 50 year old edc to smell the same as it did the day it was bottled. Some fragrances age well, and others don't. But even the ones that do age well don't smell fresh. I don't know Eau de Shalimar. I think that is one I never got a chance to sample. I love my eau de cologne because even though it is relatively new (gold foil box from early 00s) it still has that range of facets and complexity that I don't get in the smoother, more modern versions of Shalimar. I suppose I should just sample them on their own merits as separate fragrances rather than expecting them to measure up to an old dream of a memory. I should probably sample as many Shalimars as possible in a side by side sniffathon. That would be interesting.

Basenotes Institution

The VERY FIRST version of Shalimar I ever smelled was 1980's Eau de Cologne, in the black/gold foil box. So, I know what you're talking about. It has a 'bite' from the bergamot that initially (when I first smelled it) I hated but then later I came to love. That 'bite' is missing from my 1960's Eau de Cologne. Although, the dry down on this 60's stuff is way more complex, just like the vintage Parfum (from the 1960') that I own - because back then it was Mysore Sandalwood. What a difference.

I'm going to PM you - I think you need to smell the 'gold' or 'vintage' Shalimar Eau Legere and Eau de Shalimar. I love both, for different reasons, and at different times throughout the year.

-- Jack Kerouac

Thank you, Mike. I look forward to that.

Comfort blanket scent. I'm torn between leather and food - perhaps go for a combination: Bulgari Black. Plus it's my go-to scent when nothing else beckons. Traversee du Bosphore also a contender.

^I bet Black does make a good blankie, devilcat! I tend to think of it as edgy but it really is cozy and comforting, too. I can see why it's your dependable one.

My comfort blankie is Shalimar, which I also wore last Friday for Guerlain day. Just settin' the world on fire with my originality lately!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 22nd February 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post

My comfort blankie is Shalimar, which I also wore last Friday for Guerlain day. Just settin'the world on fire with my originality lately!
    Haven't we been here before? Ha Ha.

Nice to see you girls. The luxuriously comforting Bois des Iles for me today.

We sure have, Foustie! Must admit, I've gotten out of the thinking part of sync day quite easily this month! You smell lovely in your Chanel!

My blankie is probably my beloved Houbigant Ambergris.

Basenotes Institution

Do I need to even post what my 'comfort blanket' scent is? I mention it so many times...Shalimar. Duh.

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh, guys, aren't we just the most comfy, cozy bunch today?!

I was tempted to go with Bois des Iles today, but since I wear it so often for all sorts of other reasons, I went with one that I do mostly think of as comfort - like a book by the fireside with a nice glass of red type scent - that type of comfort. SL Douce Amere My little sharp then sweet blankie.
    Last edited by cello; 22nd February 2013 at 04:52 PM.

My comfort blanket today was Carnation by MdO from a sample

My comfort scent is surprise, suprise... Shalimar! However, today I decided to go with something else which I have hardly ever worn before: the last drops of my Farnesiana decant.

Last week I was syncing in the gorgeous Jicky. Another scent I should really spray on more often.

- - - Updated - - -

House: Rosine/Mecheri/Malone

House:Caron/..

House: By Killian/Tom Ford

Favorite leather?
    Thanks a lot for the great ideas! I have added them to the list.

Well I am wearing Gobin Daude Biche Dans l'Absinthe, on the boards we used to call it bitch drinking absinthe. LOL
    DONNA

I know..... 'I am a Dandelion'.....lol .... by Mr Brosius. One of my silly favourites.

Funny ones you've found, donna and mumsy!

My choice for today is Charogne (meaning "corpse" if I remember well) from a sample. It does not smell that bad though. ELdO is quite a safe bet when looking for ridiculous fragrance names.

Oh I look forward to reading this thread later! Great names already! Yes ELDO is dependable that way, huh?

It's Monegals "Kiss My Name" for me today. Hmmm. I always wonder if something about thismone has been lost in translation? Ann odd name but a delightful little fragrance.

"The essence: Absolute Tuberose des Indes, Iris sur cedre, Absolute Jasmin Eqypte, Neroli Tunisie y
    Baume Tolu."

We also have "The Unicorn Spell", and (I anticipate sharp intakes of breath here) "Portrait of a Lady". A absolutely stunning fragrance but I have always found the name to be clunky and, well, daft.

Kiss your what?....lol

Kiss My Name is very silly! I've been wondering what on earth that means! Maybe you're right, Foustie, could be lost in translation.

My scents name is ridiculous not in a silly sense, more of an oxymoron sense- Modern Chypre by Esteban. Which means of course it's a floriental in the fruitchouli style. I do like some scents in this family but not so much this one. Wears a bit harsh.

The only scent in my wardrobe with a name I find totally ridiculous is Insolence, which I just wore for loudest scent sync. Insolence could also work for a "perfume name you hate" sync; I really dislike this title. Another silly one I used to have and I think I wore for a similar sync is Diptyque's L'Eau de L'Eau. Yep, "water of water". Fortunately, the fragrance is better than it sounds; a lovely sparkling citrus.

Challenging scent will have me reaching for Janus-faced Jicky. I only have current formulation edt. Sometimes divine to my nose and other times utterly evil.

summer means fireflys

It occurred to me that we might like this thread pinned ... What do you guys think? Would it make it easier to find or easier to overlook?

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    It occurred to me that we might like this thread pinned ... What do you guys think? Would it make it easier to find or easier to overlook?
    Yes!!!

Pretty Please?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Yes, please pin this thread.

I have no idea what to wear??????

Helmut Lang edp perhaps, sometimes its lovely. Then on other days it smells like BO(but only to me for some reason LOL), others think its lovely.

Oh and it seems to work better in warm weather.
    DONNA

Melograno - it takes guts to wear this!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'd love this! If "which scents chicks dig" deserves to be pinned up there, surely our sync discussion is worthy too!

I'm in HdP Tubereuse 3 Animale, which is part of a challenging trio of tuberoses. I think none in this series are particularly easy to "get". RHM called them "the three weird sisters" in our sample pass thread and it fits so perfect, this is now how I refer to the trio in my own head. Animale is tough to wear, a tuberose/immortelle/tobacco blend. For a bit, it smells like dirty hair. It also has a phase that is just smothering. Worth it though; if one can wait it out, it does become smooth and lovely and will stick with me throughout the day. Main thing with this one is NO OVERSPRAYING! I do think it's actually nicest when dabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    Challenging scent will have me reaching for Janus-faced Jicky. I only have current formulation edt. Sometimes divine to my nose and other times utterly evil.
    Me too! Own vnt cologne and never know how it will be this time... Love/hate scent))

Andy Tauer une Rose vermeille. I think the rose plus lavender plus raspberry plus vanilla is just WAY TOO MUCH for me.

Now, why do I have a full bottle of this?

Tune in, next time.....

Kewart, I LOVE Melograno. Can you believe that I've just come back from exercise and bathed in a little Melograno shower gel just because I wanted to, just before I read this thread!! Do you believe that?! (Well it is the Friday sych!).

Yup, scentsucker, me too with the Rose Vermeille. Weird.

Eeeeehm. I could say Mitsouko, but I won't. Eeeehm, OK another SMN, P'eau D'Espagne. Doesn't challenge me because I love it so but it might challenge other folk.

Basenotes Plus

well friends i had a dr appt today, so really challenging wasn't in the cards. I picked Traversee Du Bosphore- it was mainstream enough for the doc's office but interesting enough for me.
    A Scent Rescuer

Thank you for pinning the thread!

My choice for Friday was Tubereuse Criminelle. I did chicken out though and only sprayed it on my wrist. It is a real beast with that gasoline accord in it. I'm curious if I'll ever really wear it...

My, my. Don't we look good pinned! This is going to make the synch so much easier to find. Thank You, and well done Bonsai!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    My, my. Don't we look good pinned! This is going to make the synch so much easier to find. Thank You, and well done Bonsai!
    I love it "pinned" as well! No need to rumage through the page to find it anymore. The thanks should go to shadesofbleu - it was her brilliant idea.

Interesting for me tomorrow, I own fragrances by both noses but the most by Bertrand Duchaufour, so it will be one of his.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Simply spoiled for choice tomorrow!
    A Scent Rescuer

Mugler Innocent for me. Dominique is one of the noses behind this.

I was surprised how many of Bertrand Duchaufour I own. Only one from Dominique.

So Eau d'Italie Sienne l'Hiver by Bertrand.
    DONNA

Golly what a huge choice for a synch

DR here

BD here

CDG Avignon for me. I haven't put that on for ages. Thank you for notion to re-visit.

Well, this time I learned I have neither of these perfumers in my collection! I guess they don't tend toward my style. However, I did have a teensy bit of the scent that matters most to me out of our choices- Ropion's Carnal Flower. Have loved this sample literally to death; not even a whole drop was left for sync this morning. Luckily, not much is needed with this one! Half a drop and I'm still billowing tuberose! Just love it. And here I was sure I wouldn't like it. How wrong I was!

I went with Dzongkha by L'Artisan which is a Duchaufour scent pure and pure. Lovely little soft, but persistent incense, with a cool iris backdrop. Spiced just enough, but not too much.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    I went with Dzongkha by L'Artisan which is a Duchaufour scent pure and pure. Lovely little soft, but persistent incense, with a cool iris backdrop. Spiced just enough, but not too much.
    I have only a tiny bit left in a decant, I brought it with me to work so that I can wear it this afternoon. It was one that initially I disliked and now I really enjoy it.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Caron Aimez-Moi for me today
    A Scent Rescuer

Hello friends. Wow! What a choice. I am so fortunate that I have a good few. Well I am getting ready for nightshift, so I'm just getting fragranced now.

I read mumsy and I thought "ooooh yes, it has to be Kyoto".
    Then I read Perfumed Lady and I thought "sorry mums, your chucked, it has to be Carnal Flower.
    The I read Cello's lovely precis of Dzongkha, and I knew what I wanted.

So, Dzongkha for me. Thanks Cello!

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Ropion's What We Do In Paris Is Secret. I love the name, like the juice ... it is a gourmand for grownups with notes of bergamot, honey, lychee, Turkish rose essence, tonka bean, heliotrope, tolu, sandalwood, ambergris, musk.

I synced today with Dominique Ropion's discontinued (WaaaaHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-( ) Gucci Accenti.
    I got a completely unsolicited compliment too . I ran into my local Little Caesar's for a takeout pizza and the counter guy said "You smell amazing! "
    Huh ? doubletake from me. (My mind was on how long I had to run errands before work)
    "Your perfume -or whatever smells AMAZING"
    Hope everyone else had an amazing smelling day!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Nice to get compliments, for sure. Pizza and compliment, can't go wrong with that!

I wore Drole de Rose..sharper and greener than I remember it last time.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.