Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronised Fridays 2013

Was choosing between Nasomatto and Mona, the latter won))

Mona di Orio Chamarre.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Was that as a solid perfume or as a liquid perfume or edt out of curiosity? I tried it the other day and found it quite gentle and pleasant as the solid wax sample in their mailing sample set. I may have to try again now you say that and i'm no lover of tuberose scents normally.
    I'm going to send you some mumsy.

Todays synch is a pleasure. The little Irish house, Cloon Keen Atelier, Terre de L'Encens.

(I'll send you some of that too.)

Have a good synch girls.

Ta muchly ducky.

I am creating for a commission today, so I am testing a very small and previously unheard of house called my own. So new it doesn't have a name yet. It is so rare there is only one bottle.... lol. It is the best one so far in the vein of a smoky cocoa chypre. I thought it was ready and 'the one' but as I wear it, I feel it still needs some mods to the base... bother!

Ooh, I love the small house sync! One of my faves because it gives me the chance to yammer about my particular indie world darling- Ava Luxe. Had to be Pivoine Rose today, what with all the recent peony talk we've had.
    The nose wants what it wants!

For last week's sync I did a play on name Original Liz Claibourne Realities because reality is a _ _ _ _ _ and therefore viscious.Right?
    Hmm small house.... I'll get into my samples ,probably either a Garner James one or a Tauer.(will need to get FB in both houses!)
    Fragrance Omnivore

I'm all about small houses so this week's synch is going to be the ruin of me. I've decided I need to get my mitts on some Cloon Keen Atelier samples somehow - if only they shipped internationally! And mumsy, smoky cocoa chypre sounds incredible.

As it is, I had a hard time choosing from all the small houses I enjoy particularly - Slumberhouse? Dawn Spencer Hurwitz? Or perhaps something completely left-field like the O'driù samples I've been making my way through slowly (come to think of it, the opening of any of these would instantly qualify them for last week's vicious sync). But after a long, exhausting week, I picked up something I hadn't worn in a while and retreated into the comfort of the awkwardly but oh-so-aptly named November in the Temperate Deciduous Forest by Jill McKeever of For Strange Women.

queen of the universe

Favorite celebrity fragrance....hmmmm....thinking, thinking. I only have two, Queen by Queen Latifah and Carlos Santana for Women. Both are orientals, CS being more sumery, Q more gourmand, haven't reached for either in ages. I'll go with CS as I also have the body lotion, and the coldish weather here might call for some moisturizing.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I don't own any celeb fragrances.

Cheapest??

Well there is Coty Musk Oil which was free, Avon Occur £2.50, but at the same time I bought my Crown Perfumery Ess Bouquet and Eau de Russe for £2.50 a bottle years back.

Crown Eau de Russe it is.
    DONNA

Eeech..... I've got a nasty feeling that Darling by Kylie Minogue satisfies both criteria in one bottle but I just don't know if I can stomach that first thing in the morning. There is a Elizabeth Taylor White Diamond mini somewhere and i'm not sure that is much better. I cannot remember, but I know some like it. I'm really not in the mood for a screecher.

- - - Updated - - -

I've braved Kylie for this synch only.... I don't promise not to scrub..... and it's very pink and smells like bath cleaner with penicillin. Wow, very aspirin with flowers.

- - - Updated - - -

It actually doesn't screech after a moment. It goes something like this....

.....of bathing in soapy bubblegum flowers whilst crunching on your aspirins with the tinny hangover from last night... This ought to smell quite nice but your head and eyes aren't quite opposite the holes so it misses the mark but only just. Clean, sweet and soapy with a floral nuance of chemoflower. There is a slightly damp earthy flower in here like an older vase of flowers you left on the bathroom shelf and forgot to pour the water out last week, neither old nor new so you didn't bother. There is a musky smell because you left your last nights clothes by the bath too and the smell of last nights perfume is still there but fading into a musty clothes, almost fruity smell. Not horrid at all, just very slightly unfresh when it ought to be fresh. Fading into a vanillin woodsy thing. Smells very chemical to my nose but nicer than I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

I am however going to scrub now..... that is enough for me....... lol

mumsy, LoL

Mumsy, you are a joy! I adore you.

I don't think that I have any celebrity fragrances either, maybe some samples. I'll look later. But can I put a WISH on todays synch. I would like to have Sarah Jessica Parkers Lovely. I really like it. Must get it. I used to have Paloma Picasso when it first came out. Wish I had kept that one!

My cheapest is probably Yardley Citrus and Woods.

Poor mumsy! Didn't Kylie get you with another of her sugar bombs last year when we did this sync? Lol!

Will join you all later in my cheapest-Yardley Royal English Daisy. Could count as a celebuscent I suppose; this was created in honor of Kate Middleton back when she was just the fiancee. Whatever. It's cheap and lovely, the real reason for my purchase. Just a simple green apple, fresh cut grass and meadow flowers type scent. Similar to Daisy but not so synthetically loud. Dries down to blah but who cares? Certainly cheap enough to refresh as needed.

I also have a sample of Usher for Women. But no, just no.

Okay at first I thought Oooch tough one (I have a lot of celebrity scents -comes from a lot of discounter and thrift shopping)what to choose ...-hey wait OR cheapest ? How about I combo that to eliminate options ...hmm..Okay think I've got something ....Mary-KateandAshley( Olsen twins) two from their contract with Coty .A co-worker passed it to me so it was free too!
    Here goes ..(spritz,spritz) hairsprayish alcohol,and sort of a soft tea/appleish ? scent in a sort of very light Tommy Girl sort of thing.Not bad Touch of pepper comming through(way better than the eau de WET DOG that's drifting down the hall from recently cleaned up pet) Definitely wearable though it doesn't seem to last all that long -but it was marketed to girls-tweens ,so you wouldn't WANT it to last or be strong as they'd probably hose down in it and choke all life on the planet.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Mumsy - after that description I'm going out to get me some Kylie!

SJP Lovely for me. It's my only s'lubscent. Liquid Satin version - bit oily-feeling on first application, but very pretty, sweeter and not as sharp as the edp. Still a vague trace 10 hours later.

Kiss for Her by Kiss

Wild cheapie , bought it after falling in love with a sample I got with some ebay purchase.

Ah, mumsy, hillarious! You have to add it to the reviews.

Oh, tomorrow should be interesting. I class all my fragrances as mood lifting.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Oh, tomorrow should be interesting. I class all my fragrances as mood lifting.
    Agreed - for that reason I don't feel as if I'm actually going out of my way for a sync. Having said that, I'm picking a scent that, to my nose, has such peculiarly addictive and almost narcotic qualities that it not only presses all the right buttons but holds them right there for the next 16 hours:

Mood lifting.... that's actually quite hard to choose. What makes my heart soar in a frag and will suffer two hospital visits without offending others? I may have to do a private wrist synch only. I think I may smuggle in with a micro drop of Houbigant Ambergris on. I adore it and it won't offend anyone. These are good hospital visits, not bad BTW.

Oh mumsy!!!! A quick dab in the cleavage perhaps, you alone can smell it???

Well, I was having a rumage(love that word), in a drawer and spotted my decant of SL Encen et Lavande. Had a quick sniff and wanted to get up and dance around to Starships. So that is what it will be. Lavender always gives me a happy high
    DONNA

Wearing La Chasse aux Papillons today - carefree and cheerful.

After reading rowan's description I added Sova to my "to sniff" list. The list of ingredients sounds mouth watering.

Clarins Eau Ressourcante (tranquility) is my mood lifter in a bottle (a very nice easy-to-handle
    blue one at that!)
    Notes of lemon, basil, iris, benzoin and cedar produce a feeling of calmness and purpose.
    This is a huge compliment-getter and I love to wear it on hotter days or after a bath/shower
    to help me relax. Frequent reapplication is required but it is not too exorbitantly priced so I don't mind.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

queen of the universe

Mood lifting would be that floral glory Acaciosa by Caron, but I'm hardly about to teach 5th grade in that! Ralph Hot actually gives me the giggles, and seems more suited to the pre-adolescent vibe that will permeate my day.

Yes, tough choice here; my perfumes are mostly happy and uplifting to my nose. Have only a few deep & dark smellies for when the mood strikes. I naturally gravitate toward cheerful scents, must be addicted to this variety of mood boosting!

Decided to just go with my newest good mood in a bottle-Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Jasminora. Lemon, jasmine and a touch of lily of the valley. Perfect for a sunny spring day!

My favorite moodlifter if Seville a l'Aube by LaP. Generally fleur'd'orange and citrus fragrances are turnoners for me.

Basenotes Plus

I've missed the last few weeks but am game for the sync today. And Lo- the theme is mood-lifter. teeehee. My mood could hardly be more lifted today anyway.
    1. I'm on vacation and leaving for my first trip to Oahu on Sunday
    2. My cat who has cost me a king's ransom in medical bills lately got an all clear from the vet this morning
    3. After growing my hair out what seems like forever, I'm getting the chop later today and donating the tresses to Locks of Love. I know I'll feel 20 pounds lighter

So....what scent to wear??? It's really hot dry and smoky with terrible fires on the other side of the county so I'll stick to something light.
    Lubin L'eau Neuve
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Pink Sugar today, one of the best mood lifter scents I know. Yes, it's sweet but surprisingly more complex than it sounds. How can you NOT smile when wearing Pink sugar?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

queen of the universe

Day of the Roses, going with the obvious, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. Looking forward to seeing many different roses reported today!

Oh, has to be Caron Rose. So extract or edp?????? Okay the latter.
    DONNA

Ok, day of the roses.... into the cupboard I dive.....

...and a memory grab led me to Rose Ispahan by Yves Rocher....

Enchanting little spicy amber rose. Reminds me of rose pastille chocolate.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had forgotten about this one. No wonder everyone wants it.

Trying out a new-to-me rose today- Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses. Gorgeous jammy roses to start but veers off in a too sweet direction in the end. Still, very good. Would definitely recommend to those who like their roses a bit sweeter and muskier.

Basenotes Institution

I love rose fragrances. I rarely wear them a lot. It's one of those notes that I love smelling, yet I find it difficult to wear it a lot.

The only rose that was very wearable for me was Rose 31 but I have a lot of 'intimate' associations with that scent now.

I'm wearing Sa Majeste la Rose, a real stunner. My FAV rose, actually.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

The day of the roses. What a great synch. I adore roses. The smell of roses and rose fragrance is entwined with my memories. My first rose fragrance was the one I tried to make from rose petals in a jam jar of water. It always went brackish of course but it never did stop me trying again the next year. We used to open it with great anticipation only to be met with a chorus of "oh no, it's gone off again". Why on earth were we surprised? It happened every time. I didn't want to admit defeat and I remember looking up how to make rosewater in an encyclopedia and if I remember you were supposed to add something like arrowroot as a preservative. I intended to ask the local chemist if he had any for the next year but I never did.

One of my early real rose fragrances was called simply Rose Musk, an oil in a little bottle which you could put in the pocket of your denims (flared, with rainbow and peace sign patches sewed/ironed on). I adored that perfume. I thonk that we might have got it in Woolworths. Then there were some of the Avon Ones. I think that one was called Roses Roses, then I had Rose Ispahan too mumsy. Then the Body Shop Rose Oil which was great and smelled like I wanted my Rosewater to smell. Crabtree and Evelyn Rosewater is another.

Time marches on.....

I have several roses now and samples too. So, without further ado I'm going to go for Serge Lutens La Fille De Berlin. A red, red rose this one.

Hmm not sure what rose I'll wear.. Cannabis Rose? Knowing? Paris? Ce Soir Jamais? (sp?)Versace Versus (new)?
    Don't know yet .. But I need to bathe the dog and then shower before I choose.

Have a great trip Knit! And don't forget the sunscreen!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Just had to have not only the rose but the rest of the garden along with it - Diptyque L'ombre dans l'eau EDT. Had a brief flirtation earlier this year with the EDP, which to my nose has a lusher, grown-up, more forward rose and older, greener leaves, but it's time to revisit the good old EDT.

And as an extra sync, I think I'll spend what's left of the night with the deep, dark, creamy rose of Caron Or et noir.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    After reading rowan's description I added Sova to my "to sniff" list. The list of ingredients sounds mouth watering.
    bonsai, I do hope you enjoy Sova. It's well worth trying and re-trying for the sheer complexity and quality of the ingredients. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but I've simply learnt to apply it with an even lighter hand than I'm used to, and it is now one of the fragrances I find myself reaching for most often.

summer means fireflys

I'm not really a straight-up rose kind of girl ... I tend to like them a little on the dark side or well mixed with other notes. I'm testing Czech & Speake Dark Rose today and I'm finding it leans toward the dark side. I really like the saffron note, it is rich and spicy, but IMO, saffron adds some sunshine, keeping this Dark Rose not so dark after all.

notes: saffron, Bulgarian rose, patchouli, sandalwood, oudh, amber and white musk
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Red Roses by Jo Malone. Do not actually eat roses but love this one for simplisity and lightness.

I wore several rose fragrances over a couple of days, but I can't remember them all: Grès Caberet, Les 4 Reines by L'Occitane, Patou Eau de Joy, and a couple of others. I love rose scents from the palest pink rosewater & glycerine soap to the lush winey roses to the dark & deep roses with patchouli, tea roses, cabbage roses...and so forth. And I love fragrances that have a prominent rose in them. I've been wearing Bal à Versailles the past couple of days. The rose in that is liqueur-like. Sapfir, have you tried Jo Malone Red Roses in the bath oil? It is wonderful and highly concentrated. I sometimes use a little as a body oil on shower damp skin. I haven't tried La Fille de Berlin yet, and I think that will be next. I didn't wear it for the synch but my most recent rose discovery is vintage Caron's Nuit de Noel parfum. I bought a sample from The Perfumed Court and fell in love with it. It's on my wish list now. How could we possibly live without roses?

Lilybelle, that sounds goood, have not tried oil, but now I definitely will! Thanks for advice.

What's the sync for this Friday? The website move has caused the thread to be out of date and currently it doesn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    What's the sync for this Friday? The website move has caused the thread to be out of date and currently it doesn't say.
    Unfortunately, I don't remember what the next sync was. Maybe somebody will... Otherwise let's just think of a sync we'd enjoy and go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't remember what the next sync was. Maybe somebody will... Otherwise let's just think of a sync we'd enjoy and go with that.
    My sleep deprived brain can't be 100% sure but I think there was a list of three houses and the mention of Tom Ford? Sorry probably not much help. Maybe a suggestion, Famous Friday? A fragrance that has reached that instantly recognisable or legendary status. For example mine would be Chanel No.5.

Basenotes Member

I thought this Friday was 'English Perfumery', but I could definitely be wrong about that.

I haven' a clue???? I usually check on the Thursday.

English perfumery is the 22nd Nov.
    DONNA

Well if it's Tom Ford I've got BO, BOVdF,TF for men Extreme,and possible samples of Violet Blonde/Gray Vetiver .Will check back when I wake up .Night.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    My sleep deprived brain can't be 100% sure but I think there was a list of three houses and the mention of Tom Ford? Sorry probably not much help. Maybe a suggestion, Famous Friday? A fragrance that has reached that instantly recognisable or legendary status. For example mine would be Chanel No.5.
    If it was Tom Ford, then those three houses most likely are Gucci (1990s), YSL (early 2000s) and Tom Ford. We might add Tom Ford's version of Azurée. Famous Friday, though, would be a great alternative. What do you think?
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

I don't know either. I think that we should just have a free for all!

I'm wearing Santa Maria Novella P'Eau D'Espagne, what about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I don't know either. I think that we should just have a free for all!

I'm wearing Santa Maria Novella P'Eau D'Espagne, what about you?
    A free for all -- that's the spirit! I'm wearing a sample of ELdO's Archives 69 -- it's a bit of a free for all, you know? Quite a bit, in fact.

Foustie, was it you who asked me last week in this thread (now archived somewhere) about Coze? I'm going to pretend like it was. The short answer to how I felt about it after two wearings from my little sample vial is two-part:
    1) After the first wearing, I was all-in. Full bottle time. So interestingly rich and bitter. Like nothing else I have. Then . . .
    2) After the 2nd wearing, not so sure. All of a sudden, the 2nd wearing was mild, soft cocoa. And I mean cocoa in the American way, which means drinking chocolate. A small cup of mild drinking chocolate with a little milk and sugar. No bitter, no smoke. *Very* different.

So I'm in limbo, and I guess I'll have to try it a 3rd and 4th time to see what's up.

You?

So glad I'm not the only one that feels a little lost after the latest move. It took me awhile to find you guys. I went to Sniffapalooza in NYC last weekend and loved it. Will definitely go again. Got introduced to a lot of new niche perfumes. If you ever get a chance to go please do. It was my present to myself for not being able to go to Chicago for the Basenotes Meet-up. (Only $23 round trip and a couple of hours between Philadelphia and NYC).

Friday, since I had no idea what to wear and love a good free for all I wore Chanel Coco.

Does any one have a clue what next friday might be?

Betsy
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Can we please get an update on what it will be next Friday the 8th????

I actually wore nothing on the 1st(oh the horror), as I was a little lost.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    A free for all -- that's the spirit! I'm wearing a sample of ELdO's Archives 69 -- it's a bit of a free for all, you know? Quite a bit, in fact.

Foustie, was it you who asked me last week in this thread (now archived somewhere) about Coze? I'm going to pretend like it was. The short answer to how I felt about it after two wearings from my little sample vial is two-part:
    1) After the first wearing, I was all-in. Full bottle time. So interestingly rich and bitter. Like nothing else I have. Then . . .
    2) After the 2nd wearing, not so sure. All of a sudden, the 2nd wearing was mild, soft cocoa. And I mean cocoa in the American way, which means drinking chocolate. A small cup of mild drinking chocolate with a little milk and sugar. No bitter, no smoke. *Very* different.

So I'm in limbo, and I guess I'll have to try it a 3rd and 4th time to see what's up.

You?
    Yes, it was me. Dave, I'm exactly the same, but different! Ha Ha. I've had a sample of Coze for ages. I find it so intriguing. I'm the opposite of you because on early try's I found it interesting but just a bit much, a bit intense. On a recent try I found it to be very comfortable and I really enjoyed it. Now, all of that suggests to me that it is a keeper. It's on my never ending wish list.........

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Can we please get an update on what it will be next Friday the 8th????
    I actually wore nothing on the 1st(oh the horror), as I was a little lost.
    I am working on updating a list. Trying to remember what other syncs we have decided on...

I added "A trip down memory lane" for coming Friday. This could cover vintage scents, fragrances evoking emotions, memories, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The list is now complete. If you'd like to change anything about it please let me know.

Today I am syncing in Etro's Dianthus. It transports me back to a sparkling summer day on Helgoland, standing on the top of the island and looking out over the sea (and enjoying my delicious and oh, so happy Dianthus).

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Bonsai!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Okay I have gone for Rochas Femme pdt from the early 80s(before the horror that is the cumin version), I first bought this as a teenager in the 70s. I was in my first job and smelt it in a department store, saved up and bought the parfum. It was for me the first real classic fragrance I bought, before it was using my mum's Youth Dew or my own Coty Wild Musk oil.
    DONNA

Ha! Donna. It is so obvious that you are about the same "vintage" as me. I could have written your post!!

But today, I am going with a fragrance inspired by Bonsai's post and I am house twins with her too. I'm wearing Etro Patchouli because it takes me back to the day when we wore straight patchouli oil. A LOT of straight patchouli oil. The Etro has a straight up camphoraceous patchouli at it's heart but it is enhanced by a lovely aromatic geranium note. I think that it is terific.

Happy synching everyone.

queen of the universe

Synching with Rive Gauche. Half my life ago, I bought some when a guy I liked mentioned it was his favorite. Didn't get the guy, kept the fragrance.

Fabulous memories, ladies! Synching with Jil Sander's No. 4. My very first fragrance back in the 90s.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Good afternoon/evening, fair smelling friends.

I'm synching in Rive Gauche pour Homme. It's like I'm stepping out of the old barbershop.

Basenotes Plus

Greetings syncers! It's vintage Caron Royal Bain de Champagne for my journey into memory....and a little visual /aural to go with it.

start at 4:40

A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I went for a vintage scent (though not really one I wore in the past -probably smelled it in the past ) Max Factor Aquarius. Smells soappy(Dial like) and like Obsession and a bit tobbacco /amberish . Bottle sprays like extra hold Aqua Net hair spray -Fast! So be warnned fellow Fume lovers lest you use much more than you intended! My bottle looks like a golden egg (Prop from a Disney or Willy Wonka movie?) in case anyone else wants to hunt some down in a ebay hunt.

Hi Knit !
    Fragrance Omnivore