Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Picked up a little vintage Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit was one of the first fragrances to really blow my mind when I was just getting into fragrances (around three years ago). I had a very small collection at the time, which did include a few decent fragrances as I recall. But Fahrenheit was maybe the first that made me stop and say daaamn...lol It was on another level from just about everything I had experienced up to that point. I bought a sample first, then got a 50ml bottle soon after. This was before I knew that a fragrance could go through several reformulations over the course of a few decades. My 50ml bottle is probably the latest formulation, and it was all I ever knew.

Then as I read about Fahrenheit in the forums and learned more about fragrances in general, I got the vintage bug and started combing the auctions. Turns out that vintage bottles do turn up fairly often. The mini pictured here was up for a good price, and I won the auction. When the item was delivered, I was thrilled to find I had received not one but two full minis -- one in box and another unboxed. I have no idea why the seller threw in the extra one. Maybe because it had no box? Anyway, the bottles have no lot numbers on them, but the box is stamped with a number that indicates a manufacture date of 1987 (according to checkcosmetic.net). It's a small triumph for sure, but I must say I am feeling good about it! As far as my nose can tell, the juice is in fine shape. So far I've only sniffed at the neck of the bottle. I wonder if I'll be able to tell the difference between the two formulations, and how big a difference it will be. I'll put on a little of both one day soon and see.

Fahrenheit is a fragrance I don't wear often, but I still find it to be a stunning work of art. And if the vintage is as special as many here feel it is, I may start wearing it more frequently. Yep, I just gotta try harder.

Default Re: Picked up a little vintage Fahrenheit

1987? I thought the stuff came out in 1988. Well whatever you got I hope it turns up like the old stuff. It was wonderful compared to the current issue.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think you're right (1988), but the forums include a fair number of threads where other basenoters have talked about bottles dating to 1987. I'm pretty sure this is the real deal.

Congrats and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats and enjoy it!
    Thanks! I just had to post about it here, because none of my friends would really understand.

I love the current formulation so much that I have not bothered to source a Vintage. Enjoy my friend!

Very cool. I will have to look around for a vintage mini myself as I am also pretty infatuated with Fahrenheit!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I love Fahrenheit to, so, congrats!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I think you're right (1988), but the forums include a fair number of threads where other basenoters have talked about bottles dating to 1987. I'm pretty sure this is the real deal.
    I wonder if it came out in early 1988 but they had to produce enough to meet the demand by starting production in 1987. I wonder what the hype was back then. I know it became a top seller for a while.

Dior Fahrenheit is a classic - very different and instantly recognisable. Back around the time it was launched I smelled it, loved it but couldn't afford a bottle so I ended up buying the only knock-off I've ever bought - it was called 'Fiery Heat' (geddit..?). It wasn't that bad actually but nowhere near as good as the real deal. By the time I got enough cash together to buy the proper stuff my best friend started wearing it as his signature fragrance so I still don't have a bottle...!

Congrats on your excellent purchase by the way!

Basenotes Institution

Love the vintage juice also, I have to replenish my supply.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Those cosmetic serial number searches are notoriously erratic

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    I love the current formulation so much that I have not bothered to source a Vintage. Enjoy my friend!
    I like the current one too, and may end up liking it better. Looking forward to comparing it with the stuff I just got.
    Cheers.