Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New Fragrance: John Paul Gaultier - Le Beau Male for Men

^ Mint is very commonly used in designer scents, and the absinthe accord could be considered muted at best. I did pick up on a lot of sage in the opening, and of course the typical Le Male style lavender.

I'm not a fan of Le Male, but it's loads more interesting than this one.

What stores sell this in the USA? I want to try it!

Don't think it's available down there yet, should be soon though. For some reason we get things a little earlier up here in Canada.

I tried Le Beau Male today at Pharmaprix (AKA Shopper's Drug Mart). Those of you in Canada will know what I'm talking about.

Well, Le Beau Male is a solid, well-constructed fragrance with good quality ingredients. The opening and mid notes remind me a lot of Live Jazz, in the sense that they're herbal, yet fresh and minty. Other than that, it smells nothing like Live Jazz. Surprisingly, it's also not that similar to Le Male. The sweetness of the original, the musk and "thickness" are gone, and we're left with a transparent, slightly barber-shoppy kind of herbal minty fragrance with a ghost of Le Male drydown.

I see Le Beau Male as kind of a summer flanker of Le Male with a nice twist. It's quite light and definitely way less potent than Le Male.

All in all, I like it, but I don't love it for the time being. Maybe that's because my hopes were too high for a fragrance by one of my favorite perfumers, based on one of my favorite fragrances of all time. I expected something a little more avant-garde, a little more virile and potent.

Sampled this. I found it very uninspiring. Minty, clean and forgettable.

For those who tried it. How can you compare Le beau Male with Prada Luna Rossa (they both have combo lavender & mint)?
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

It's starting to look bleak for my expectations. By the sound of it this isn't going to please me nose

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    ^ Mint is very commonly used in designer scents, and the absinthe accord could be considered muted at best. I did pick up on a lot of sage in the opening, and of course the typical Le Male style lavender.

I'm not a fan of Le Male, but it's loads more interesting than this one.
    I thought the absinthe was very prominent in the opening, much more so than the mint tbh.

Well, so this is very weak indeed? I was expecting to buy it soon as I was a huuuge fan of the house until kokorico, right after they released a night version that I didnt tried yet, and now this, which everyone is telling that is weak and can be compared as a car brand fragrance...

Im disappointed.

Sounds like terrible is more interesting.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I bought this yesterday. I really like it. It's very fresh and cool and blue.

For the first 15 minutes it smells very generic, quite citrusy, very much like a lot of sport scents out there. After it settles down though it becomes really rather lovely. For me the best way to describe it is Live Jazz, with a touch of blue, if that makes sense, and a hint of le male in the background.

On the dry down the coolness disappears a bit and you get a very mellow, lighter, sweeter version of le male.

It doesn't have huge sillage, maybe average or less (my preference) but it lasts a long time. I could still smell it on my hand yesterday after 8 hours and I'd washed my hands once.

A perfect replacement for le male in the summer. Thumbs up from me.

Yesterday I tried it on a mouillette and it now smells very, very similar to Rochas Man: it's too sweet without having anything to make it interesting. I'm not sure I could stand to wear this.

Le Beau Male has hit the US as well as an initial exclusive to Macy's. The local Macy's had a counter with this and several other Macy's exclusives like Prada Luna Rossa (I liked this one), Fan di Fendi Pour Homme (liked this one, too), Tommy Hilfiger Freedom (I want to give this another sniff), and Versace Eros (pass).

I had high hopes for this one, as I still love Le Male, even though many people around here (including one of my friends) wear it. I've been looking for a good spring/summer scent for my collection, and had hoped that this could be the one. So I tested this one on my skin. The verdict: Fail. I let my mother sniff this (we have very similar tastes in fragrances), and you wouldn't believe the look on her face. She thought that it was the worst fragrance she had ever sniffed on me, taking the olfactory horror crown away from the atrocious Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men. While I was not revolted by Le Beau Male like my mother, I wasn't too fond of it, either. Guess I'll keep using original man-in-a-can and try to find another summer fragrance. However, I do think that Le Beau Male could be a better mosquito repellent than DEET.

(Speaking of summer frags, I also tested Acqua di Gio Essenza. The verdict? Stick with original AdG.)
    Last edited by MFfan310; 10th March 2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

Are the top notes lavender prominent?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tried this yesterday -- although wholly unoriginal, it's still a decently likeable scent that would probably do well with people my age

I thought it was decent. Doesn't smell like Prada Luna Rossa. It smells fresher and not soapy. LBM>PLR