Code of Conduct

Default my nose does not tolerate synthetic fragrance anymore.... like Le Male

I once loved Le Male, coolwater, aqua di gio and many other designer fragrance, but now that my nose has been exposed to many niche fragrances that contains natural ingredients like Amouage.... when i smell a fragrance that has synthetic notes, it makes me feel sick.... my brother was wearing Le Male the other day and now i can pick up how synthetic and gross it is.. then i wore Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan today and i can smell how natural this fragrance is.... my nose does not tolerate synthetic fragrance anymore... has this ever happened to you?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: my nose does not tolerate synthetic fragrance anymore.... like Le Male

I hate to burst your bubble, but both fragrances have synthetic ingredients. One is just better. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Default Re: my nose does not tolerate synthetic fragrance anymore.... like Le Male

This has never happened to me.
    I am pretty sure though that niche brands also use a lot of synthetic ingredients in their fragrances.
    All natural fragrances are rare.

I know exactly what you mean. You and I started this around the same time as you Change1 and I could not agree more that this will happen. I have a good friend, another Basenoter and he is experiencing the same thing. Issey smells horrid to me and anything containing calone.

They are all synthetic to varying degrees.

Hahaha. You're getting a bigger dose of synthetics in an Amouage than a designer (by virtue of the fact that the Amouage is still predominantly synthetic, and is at probably twice the concentration of the designer).

Very few of the fragrance community have ever experienced or worked with truly all natural perfumery ingredients, which is a shame, because if they did they'd realize how silly it sounds to claim that any niche brand is all-natural (outside of the small independent perfumers who are all natural and charge accordingly!... Ayala Moriel, Anya's Garden, etc.)

I know for a fact that Christopher Chong wants to use more synthetics in Amouage - to make them more abstract and have more creative freedom. Just look at the ingredients listed in Opus VI - Z11. Ambranum. Those are not natural! And that's just what they are listing for notes.

Seriously, it's fine to say you don't like certain synthetic molecules, or that designers scents more typically feature the chemicals you don't like, but please don't buy into the "it's expensive = more natural" argument.

Naturals have far less longevity and far less projection on average than synthetics. So it can be said that the longer and stronger a scent is, the more synthetic it is (this doesn't always hold true, but is about the best generalization that can be made.) Anything that projects *strongly* for more than a few hours is synthetic. Naturals just don't project much after a few hours - even the strong naturals.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, I'd estimate NY Oud to be at least 90% synthetic (I only mention it because it's in your top 10.) The other generalization that almost always holds true - the more naturals present, the more color the juice will have (just look at the ingredients on the box to make sure there are no artificial dyes being used in the juice).

It's almost impossible to use natural ingredients at 20-30% (NY Oud is supposedly 30% concentration) and have the juice remain clear. Patchouli oils are not clear. Oud, definitely not clear. Rose otto is quite clear, while rose absolutes are dark yellow/orange. At 20% concentration, even having 0.5% of the formula be rose absolute is going to add more color to the juice than is present in NY Oud. The truth is, there's simply no real rose absolute, patchouli or oud in it (or it's an extremely trace amount...less than 0.1%).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 21st December 2012 at 06:18 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Very few of the fragrance community have ever experienced or worked with truly all natural perfumery ingredients, which is a shame, because if they did they'd realize how silly it sounds to claim that any niche brand is all-natural (outside of the small independent perfumers who are all natural and charge accordingly!... Ayala Moriel, Anya's Garden, etc.)

Seriously, it's fine to say you don't like certain synthetic molecules, or that designers scents more typically feature the chemicals you don't like, but please don't buy into the "it's expensive = more natural" argument.
    Agree. I think what many consider "all-natural" is just the well-implemented use of synthetics in compositions to create the illusion of the scent being all-natural. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I'm with Sculpture of Soul here. Most of the lines we usually think they mainly use natural ingredients are, instead, centered on synthetics. 100% natural perfumery is very different from what we believe it's "natural". If you want some concrete examples, give a sniff to Abdes Salaam Profumo's creations or, O'Driù...Now, THESE are 100% natural.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It happened to me more than 2 years ago. I remember thinking that a new olfactory dimension had opened up to me. However, a year or so before that I had a kind of "chemical sensitivity syndrome" and a lot of frags were overwhelming to me, including the more natural ones, so this was a different experience. That being said, I don't dismiss new frags, even celebrity or "women's," and lately discovered With Love by Hilary Duff, which has a great "dark" spice note. Sure, you don't get the richness or depth of the best vintage but it's enjoyable as a change of pace (unlike Le Male, to me at least). I find today's niche to be inferior to the best vintage but I do own more than a few bottles and enjoy them. My most recent find is Rumba by Balenciage (supposedly the new bottle, with Ted Lapidus on it, isn't worth buying), which has an incredibly rich wood note, IMO a totally unisex drydown that makes almost all niche look amateurish at best.

What SoS wrote.
    I chatted a while with Geza Schoen a couple of months back. He said something to the effect that these 100% natural perfumes tend to lie very flat on the skin, and that has been my experience, too.
    Nevertheless, I agree that certain fragrances have a very synthetic feel to them (D&G Light Blue, for example) which I find the olfactory equivalent to nails on a chalkboard.

I know what you're saying, but niche perfumes are no more "natural" than designer fragrances. Creed included. They're all 85-90% synthetic, no matter what the price. The IFRA is making sure that percentage will grow another 5% in the next few years.

Synthetics can smell more pungently natural than naturals, but they can rarely have the same degree of complexity as naturals. There are now thousands of synthetic aromachemicals, and they make up almost everything out there.

Modern perfumery started with the use of synthetics in the late 1800's, and the aromachemcial industry has grown exponentially ever since. Just like naturals, some synthetics you'll like, and others you won't. I'll agree that designer fragrances have crapped out over the last twenty years, but I smell expensive niche fragrances all the time that smell massively synthetic. It's all about the art.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st December 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    nails on a chalkboard.
    Brrrrrrrrrr

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I used to like Issey too when i started... and now every time i spray my issey summer edition 2009 i geta bad headache and seems like i can taste the chemical.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. You and I started this around the same time as you Change1 and I could not agree more that this will happen. I have a good friend, another Basenoter and he is experiencing the same thing. Issey smells horrid to me and anything containing calone.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Change1, I just reread my post and it might be misinterpreted. I hope you don't think I was laughing at you. It's just a pet peeve of mine how that belief is so widely held and perpetuated by (and enables) niche snobbery, when it is really quite off the mark.

I do think that there is a difference between mainstream and niche in some regards. Mainstream scents often time build their bases out of a variety of musks, and forego larger doses of the heavier/woodier/earthier aromachemicals. I would be willing to bet that on average, niche releases do use more real patchouli oil than mainstream releases - mainstream releases are typically going to use real citrus, maybe some real cedar, real pink pepper, and small doses of real florals. Niche releases will use more natural labdanum, patchouli, galbanum, oakmoss, etc. Some niche houses are obviously much better than others in that regard. Some niche houses use a few natural notes quite often (I seem to pick up a lot of natural juniper in a lot of Bond #9 scents, for example). Amouage I believe uses more natural labdanum, incense, myrrh, jasmine, rose etc.

Still, as Pluran said, most every scent out there is predominantly synthetic. I think the distinction to be made is that you like the scents that smell more natural. That may be due to either a) actual higher percentage of naturals b) the usage of synthetics that smell more natural to your nose or c) some combination of both (probably this!).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I once loved Le Male, coolwater, aqua di gio and many other designer fragrance, but now that my nose has been exposed to many niche fragrances that contains natural ingredients like Amouage.... when i smell a fragrance that has synthetic notes, it makes me feel sick.... my brother was wearing Le Male the other day and now i can pick up how synthetic and gross it is.. then i wore Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan today and i can smell how natural this fragrance is.... my nose does not tolerate synthetic fragrance anymore... has this ever happened to you?
    Thankfully it hasn't happened to me.

Felt a bit like that when spraying Cool Water for the first time in ages. Just a difference in quality, I guess.

I tried LeMale again the other day just to see if my nose changed...nope..still horrible, horrible crap.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Same with my nose, but it's not really about a fragrance's synthetic ingredients, but it's how badly they are blended; for example, most of the designer scents these days that have sharp, all over the place notes.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Good discussion. Glad that SoS has pinpointed the 'natural' vs 'natural-smelling' debate. I doubt if the majority has much experience smelling '100% natural' component ingredient to be able to ascertain the naturalness of a blend. However we can with experience identify the harsher simplistic blends vs the smooth yet evolvingly complex compositions even if they are both equally synthetic. I suspect mass production necessitates the simplification of a fragrance structure. I could be mistaken of course.

Hey what do you know? This is my 5000th post!

If I like a fragrance, then I'm rocking on. Doesn't matter if it's niche or designer. I tried a lot of designer frags that have put a lot of niche frags to shame.

I was in a niche boutique yesterday and told that they stopped carrying certain lines like Creed because of their use of synthetics. The implication(and sales pitch) being that designers brands used synthetics and niche uses natural ingredients.

At any rate, Aveda has some great all natural fragrances that you can easily sample at your local shopping mall: Yatra, Ancient Attar, Pure-formance, Chakras 1-7

'Synthetic' and 'natural' are the same. They are all chemical compounds. The 'natural' being a natural blend of various chemical compounds while 'synthetics' are single compounds. Thus, the naturals are often more complex in their scents, but they are no less likely to cause adverse reactions.
    Last edited by farang; 22nd December 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hey what do you know? This is my 5000th post!
    Congratulations! Well done!

This is a most interesting discussion, and I think SculptureOfSoul had made a very good point.

What I am curious about is what the original poster, change1, thinks attributed to his increased sensitivity to the so-called synthetic fragrance? Is it some physiological change (i.e. his body or nose somehow became different) and he has some specific reaction when he smells such perfumes?

If what SculptureOfSoul, pluran, and other posters say is correct, then should change1 be having reactions to all perfumes (excepting the rather rare all-natural perfumes)?

I haven't posted here for a while because I started to get sensitive to some synthetics, lost interest and sold most of my frags. I still use a few, there are a handful that don't bother me. The only one I use frequently is Puredistance M, and I still have a fairly large collection of niche samples. Since then I've bought some all natural frags from Agaraura but the price is high, like $120-160 for a few mL of pure oil. Two of his frags I own contain real ambergris, and these do project and last a long time. One is just ambergris, rose and tobacco, simple but amazing. The ones that contain oud also project and have good longevity, which is a nice feature of real oud. Other all natural frags I have sampled have for the most part been a let down to some degree, with some exceptions. But that's par for the course, I don't like much more than a few percent of frags I try.

As far as chemical sensitivity, one thing that hasn't been pointed out is that it can come and go, and exposure to certain chems can trigger sensitivity to other unrelated chems as well, with the worst possible case being that it'll turn into a multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome which can be debilitating. The point being, be careful and make sure to take a break from the frags that cause issues if you don't just get rid of it.

Amouage is not using synthetics? Naturalle topic makes me laugh. If you can't tolerate synthetics in your perfume how about your food? Is it all organic? After all we are what we eat and drink, not what we smell. Computers are also man made, how's your tolerance level on those evil machines? What about your clothes? All organic cotton and wools?
    Future is hightec we all know it and we have to embrace it to a certain degree in our life's and our perfumes. I respect those houses like Afelier who are using only natural oils they do have a point.

PS
    There are quality synthetics (Firmenich, Vigon) and there is cheap mass produced chinese and indian synthetic crap. It's not just smells bad, it's bad for your health that's why you are getting a headache.

Banned
    Blog Entries

99% of fragrances are synthetic, even niche. more expensive means just higher quality synthetic notes.

and i like le male

synthetic or natural?
    it is only the particle that stimulate the nose.

What I concern is that i will not spray these on my skin.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I sometimes wonder how many frags have molecules that actually once existed in real fruits, spices, plants or animals. Again, i wonder attimes how many things i have smelled in my lifetime which makes me able to reference between natural or synthetic. Allowing for established classification of frags as natural, synthetic-smelling or constructed of synthetic molecules, i fortunately am only moved by purely emotional olfactory stimuli, regardless of organic or physical provenance.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

They are all synthetic. The job of the perfumer is to make these synthetics smell natural the great noses can accomplish this... has gotten tougher to accomplish obviously with IFRA.

Every fragrance is synthetic to a degree.

Most use synthetics . Most designer fragrances ( not all) tend to be acquatic or citrusy , while niche tend to use more woods and they are usually edp . I think this gives the impression they are more natural. I do think though they are ( niche) more balanced and well blended.