Code of Conduct

Default Designer Type Fragrance Oils--Cheap Alternative or Bad Idea?

Hello everyone!

I am new to fragrance and Basenotes and have been contemplating purchasing designer type fragrance oils. I thought it'd be best if I asked the knowledgeable people on this site for advice before spending my money.

1. Are the claims that they are more long lasting true? The EDT I currently own (Hypnotica by Vertigo) disappears after 1-2 hours and I'd prefer something that lasts 5-8 hours.

2. Are there other options for buying oil versions of fragrances that aren't expensive? I think the alcohol in my perfume may be drying out my skin and I don't have a lot of money to spend, so that's why I thought designer fragrance oils would be a good option for me.

Thanks for your help! I really like Basenotes and I'm excited to become a part of such an awesome community.

Default Re: Designer Type Fragrance Oils--Cheap Alternative or Bad Idea?

The problem with these oils (aside from the sorta plagiarism that they are) is that they don't tend to copy the original scents that well. By all means try perfume oils - but why not explore original scents rather than look for dupes?

Yeah, I've heard about designer type oils having that problem. I'd prefer to buy oil because I think my skin is having a bad reaction to the alcohol in my perfume, but extraits are apparently even more expensive than EDTs or EDPs.

maybe you could try bodylotions and body butters of the best designer fragrances. they are good for your skin and smell nice.

either on their own or layered with just one or two spritzes (not full spray, just hold the spray mechanism back a bit) of the edt or edp.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Thanks Laureline, that's a good idea! I never really considered buying the body lotions because I thought the fragrance wouldn't be as strong. (Also some of the fragrances I might buy don't come in body product versions.)

Bumping this old thread.

Candie's for Men is virtually unable to be purchased anymore. You can buy the ridiculous .18oz for $10... yes, you read right, .18oz.

I've purchased dupes from Aroma-Center.com and Saveonscents. I highly recommend either. Aroma-Center's website is a lot easier to navigate, but SoS has way more options like reed diffusers, bodywashes, etc.

Neither smelled "exactly" like Candies... they didn't smell horrid, but they weren't even close to the original fragrance.

I did buy Gucci Guilty Intense, Fierce, ADGio, 360 Red, Unforgiveable, and bunch of others that were spot on from both places. All were spot on to their original.

I'm not sure why either store was able to accurately dupe Candie's for men.

Hi
    i know its a uk based store but have you tried non US fragrances?there are a few uk stores that sell oils,i know theres an online shop call www.theperfumepeople.net ,they sell oils. NOT co.uk-this sells high street genuine fragrances,they have a good selection of oils .quality is generally very good and they do provide samples and claim to have over 850 different perfumes,having said this im not sure they ship out of UK,its worth a shot,ive had some stuff from them as well as other companies.and at the the perfume people so far so good,and prices are very reasonable too. tobacco vanille type is spot on,so is acqua di parma colonia intensa oud type. the niche collection is fab!

Perhaps what you might want to try out some of the perfumed oils that the house of Creed offers (not designer) and see if they are to your liking. Not pure oils per se. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by hednic; 23rd November 2014 at 04:29 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Y not just out lotion on then spray? Heard this helps with longevity issues as well...

I got started down the rabbit hole of frags with oils. I'd say if your budget is low use them. A lot of folks forget that fragrances are a luxury and at the now inflated prices its difficult get the real stuff without breaking the bank, so these are an option.

Ten years ago I gave my wife a container of "Shalimar". She always got compliments on that, more than any frag before or since - even after I got her the real deal it was the knockoff oil that worked for her. (She personally likes Eau De Marvellies - the real juice) Eau Sauvage and Cool Water were quite nice but both were different from the real thing.

I found that the notes sometimes were close, but not dead-on. They often lacked any kind of development, so what you experienced at the beginning of when you wear it were what you got when the fragrance subsided. The bottles tend to leak so store them upright. This was all 10 years ago so the situation may have changed.