Code of Conduct

Default Resinous/incense recommendations eg. Ambre Sultan heart/drydown?

Hi all,

So I tried Ambre Sultan for the first time recently. I'm really not sure about the herbally opening, but once it dries down a bit... wow! I LOVE the sweet/dry, resinous incense-y heart. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some resinous/incense fragrances in the style of Ambre Sultan's drydown?

I'm new to incense fragrances, but I think I'll enjoy exploring them. I love church incense, but not hippie-style incense.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Default Re: Resinous/incense recommendations eg. Ambre Sultan heart/drydown?

For churchiness, there's the CDG incense line, especially Avignon (but CDG2 man is also very incensy, though bright and lemony up top). Also some Amouage can have good incensy drydowns (Jub XXV, Interlude), but they are very expensive.

To remain in Serge Lutens territory, the Paris exclusive La Myrrhe has a rich, deep, sweetish myrrh drydown (and a bright top).

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Try Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

If you also like wood notes, another Serge Lutens that you might want to sample (that's in the export range) is Fille en Aiguilles... it has a pine/incense/resins/spice drydown.

Amber Absolute maybe?
    Replaces the herbs in AS with resinous and incense notes.

Thanks for the suggestions - Amber Absolute is beyond my price range, but I've ordered a sample of Fille en Aiguilles and I'll see if I can search out the CDG incense range. I have a feeling Fille en Aiguilles might be it...

Kerosene Copper Skies also has a resinous heart, for me, at least. There's a bit of a motor oil blast at the beginning (perhaps inspired by the burned rubber opening of Bulgari Black?), but then it's very resinous for a few hours before drying down to a lovely, sweet amber.

Blog Entries

L'Air du Desert Marocain is, to my nose, a darker version of Ambre Sultan without the herbal notes.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I would recommend to try Bois D' Encens from the Armani prive line..

"This is a masterpiece! Dark, gothic, deep and mysterious liturgical incense. Together with CDG avignon, this stays at the top of church inspired fragrances and it's surely one of my favourites. It's pungent almost astringent in the opening to turn much more softer, warm and earthy during drydown. Pepper, some coniferous, vetiver and animalic hints give birth to a multi-faceted incense based composition that while smelling dark and gothic it's incredibly elegant in its minimalistic approach. Not too powerful but definitely remarkable. If you want your incense to stay close to the skin but to result incredibly distinctive at the same time, there's nothing like Bois D'Encens."