Code of Conduct

Question Guerlain Confusion ?

Yes it's true that I am no longer a "spring chicken". Maybe it's my age, (but then again I am not "THAT" old).............

I have been accessing the Guerlain official website and find it superficial and cryptic.
    For example, there are images of something called Orchidee Imperiale. There is a five second video of an oriental woman in various parts of the world without text or sound. What are Guerlain trying to convey and what is Orchidee Imperiale ???......I am still none the wiser.
    I tried looking for Guerlain's limited editions........not a dicky bird.......as if they never existed........there is mention of "exclusives", but nothing about the limited editions.
    I was hoping for some beautiful images of their older creations and historic photos and text about the house. Unless I was not looking hard enough I couldn't find anything.
    I'm really disappointed considering the wonderful, colourful history of this once great house.
    Last edited by david; 21st December 2012 at 08:34 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

David, I cannot shed any light on your queries, but I share your disdain for Guerlain's website; it is absolutely appalling! A 1990s throwback in need of updating. They should pay Monsieur Guerlain to do it for them, his is much more informative!

Default Re: Guerlain Confusion ?

Orchidée Impériale is one of Guerlain's lines of cosmetics.

Marais, I'm totally flattered by your kind words about my Guerlain site! I appreciate it. The digital channel has never been Guerlain's strong side. Their website has never been very useful, and I can even say it has been improved a bit lately! I don't think Guerlain spends much on it. However, they have begun more updates on their Facebook page which still leaves much to be desired too. Somehow one can forgive good old Guerlain. They aren't too good at this stuff. They are very French and very old school and very welcoming IRL, but this new internet stuff feels awkward to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    David, I cannot shed any light on your queries, but I share your disdain for Guerlain's website; it is absolutely appalling! A 1990s throwback in need of updating. They should pay Monsieur Guerlain to do it for them, his is much more informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    ... They should pay Monsieur Guerlain to do it for them, his is much more informative!
    Absolutely.
    Says a lot, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    Orchidée Impériale is one of Guerlain's lines of cosmetics.
    Thanks for enlightening me. The tiny image led me to believe it was a perfume.

I have an Orchidée Impériale room spray. I think it may have been a limited edition. It smells similar to the skin products, but better because it isn't masking anything.

I too am a huge fan of Mr.G and follow his absolutely stunning photographs !!! and eloquent writings on facebook.
    This is how the Guerlain website should be, with regular updates and such stunning images.

Thanks Mr.G for kindly sharing your knowledge and passion with us all.

Thanks a lot, David! However I think that Guerlain has a very different task from an unaffiliated fan like me. They have to present both make-up and fragrance, and their site must both satisfy Guerlain traditionalists and newbies. It's obviously a problem that people who don't know the Ochidée Impériale cream already don't get what it's about! But I think they keep the limited editions away from the site to satisfy the people who don't like that you can just order everything online. They like this idea that you have to go to Paris to know what's special and to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Thanks a lot, David! However I think that Guerlain has a very different task from an unaffiliated fan like me. They have to present both make-up and fragrance, and their site must both satisfy Guerlain traditionalists and newbies. It's obviously a problem that people who don't know the Ochidée Impériale cream already don't get what it's about! But I think they keep the limited editions away from the site to satisfy the people who don't like that you can just order everything online. They like this idea that you have to go to Paris to know what's special and to get it!
    I understand totally their philosophy about having to personally visit their store and discover their special fragrances ~ I, living where I do, would be the first to make the effort, but alas I had no idea they were planning a limited edition of Habit Rouge Extrait. If I had have been informed via their website I would have been the first person on the train to Paris.

Many fragrance houses unfortunately have appalling websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Well, the exclusives are no longer that exclusive since they are now being sold at some cities outside Paris.

at 350$ a small bottle of cream!!!
    My "Lucky 13" top perfumes (They can change often)
    1- Jubilation XXV (Amouage) Bertrand Duchaufour
    2- Lyric Man (Amouage) Daniel Visentin
    3- Tubereuse 3 Animale (Histoires de Parfums) Gérald Ghislain
    4-
    5- Interlude Man (Amouage) Pierre Negrin
    6- L'Instant de Guerlain Extrème (Guerlain) Béatrice Piquet
    7- 1740 Marquis de Sade (Histoires de Parfums) Gérald Ghislain
    8-
    9- Derby (Guerlain) Jean-Paul Guerlain
    10- Chergui (Serge Lutens) Christopher Sheldrake
    11- De Profundis (Serge Lutens) Christopher Sheldrake
    12- Memoir Man (Amouage) Karine Vinchon