Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Pour Homme thoughts

Hi,

I have recently bought an Azzaro Pour Homme cologne. And honestly, I am very dissapointed in it. Very.
    I really do guess everyone has different taste. I dont know what so overwhelming about Azzaro but it's the citrus, I have been sitting here with a massive headache without having a clue that Azzaro PH is the cause of my headache. Took my shirt out and headache was over.
    What are your thoughts on APH? I have seen a massive amount of positive feedback, when I got it in my mail I was so excited untill I opened the package and smelled the overwhelming citrus. It smells like one of my aftershave gel I used to buy in a dollarstore. Lol

Anyways not here to cry about this and that. Everyones taste is different and I respect that.
    Anyone else here has the same feeling about APH as I do?

Default Re: Azzaro Pour Homme thoughts

It's a very complex frag so it reacts differently on different people, while some noses (mine included) will get too overwhelmed by the top notes to notice the subtle nuances underneath. I felt exactly the same on first impressions, now I LOVE it. It's no Rive Gauche, but It's a classic! Apply it to moisturised skin and it should give off a warmer, less sharp fragrance.

Yeah, well, I've heard allot of people saying they didn't like it at first but it changed after a while. I just have it for one day so I hope I'll manage to love it.

Vintage is much better - the bottle with the sticker on.

>Anyone else here has the same feeling about APH as I do?

Personally, I never liked that scent. Not back in the 80's nor now. Every now and then i've tried it again, to find out if my preference would have changed, but it has not taken place.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Own it and love it.

To me its very simple straight to the point frag. It smell dated but it still packs a punch. I probably would not buy a full bottle but a decant would be nice when feel like it.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Sound Scents

I love it and am very happy to have it in my collection. Sorry it did not work for you...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Alot of people like this scent, but I have not owned it for 2 reasons. First, some have said it is similar to Rive Gauche, which I already own. Second, I've read here that the latest formulation ain't so great... poor longevity, etc.
    Doesn't sound like it's the powerhouse it once was... so now, even when I see it for cheap at TJ Maxx, I just pass on it.

One of the best ever. Theres a reason its still a top seller.

If you don't like it, move on from it. People love Egoiste and I dislike it.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

It can make me feel sickly if I spray too much especially if it's humid. However as long as I'm judicious with the trigger I find it very enjoyable.

How many times do you spray?

Overwhelming citrus? Anyway, it is a bit unbalanced, though vintage is a bit more smoothed out. In the future I advise you sample first. Many frags that are BN favorites I find unbalanced, but that's the "wow factor" for a lot of members.

I am not fond of it either, no; I find it heavy and a bit oppressive.

Beast!

My thoughts about Azzaro PH are - the more the time passes the more I appreciate it and love it. Sometimes I think that this juice will never leave my wardrobe. I find it to be one of THE MOST complex and stylish frags ever made.

Classic.

Basenotes Plus

Exactly. I could've put a "+1" on several comments...but this says it all.

One must understand Classic fragrance before approaching it. No offense, but training wheels don't come with fragrance - you must understand notes and how a composition presents itself. While there is bergamot in Azzaro Pour Homme, you are smelling (most likely) the famous, pronounced anise note.

And, please...whatever you do, do not buy Vintage. You are wasting your time. It is even more Classic!

Some recommendations - Cool Water, Bleu de Chanel and perhaps some other fresher fragrances for you that are more approachable. I hope that helps...

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Classic.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

How many times do you spray?
    Depends on weather, but if it's hotter, or especially if it's humid and of an evening (this may not make sense, but I've found it's when I'm most prone to feeling overwhelmed by any given fragrance) I'll spray once, or twice - never heavy sprays - from a moderate distance (8-12 inches) under my clothes and a good way from my nose, below the chest at least.

Sprays to the neck or wrist/inside elbow are a big no-no even in cooler weather.

As long as I go easy on the trigger and keep the sprays lower down on my body though I get very pleasing wafts which don't overwhelm. I should note in the past that I became so nauseous as a result of spraying this on my neck that I actually threw up. It's very rare that a fragrance does this to me. Now I've gotten to know this one a little better though I can enjoy it with no complications.

Basenotes Plus

Wow, Miket -

That is not even a "light" wearing for me. Jokes aside - you could be in that miniscule amount of the population allergic to, the now banned by IFRA, wonderful note/fixative of Oakmoss.

Hmmmm....just a comparison - I spray 8-10+ times, including on my neck, chest, on my shirt and backs of hands (and that is usually layered with the splash After Shave lotion as a base). Azzaro Pour Homme is an 'aura scent', so I find that I must put on extra and enjoy the radiant beauty of it on my skin. Not loud in projection except for the opening 10-15 minutes.

Vintage juice is sprayed in a different spot or two for a "blended" wearing...a place I can sniff independently.

I guess for some, less is more...cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Depends on weather, but if it's hotter, or especially if it's humid and of an evening (this may not make sense, but I've found it's when I'm most prone to feeling overwhelmed by any given fragrance) I'll spray once, or twice - never heavy sprays - from a moderate distance (8-12 inches) under my clothes and a good way from my nose, below the chest at least.

Sprays to the neck or wrist/inside elbow are a big no-no even in cooler weather.

As long as I go easy on the trigger and keep the sprays lower down on my body though I get very pleasing wafts which don't overwhelm. I should note in the past that I became so nauseous as a result of spraying this on my neck that I actually threw up. It's very rare that a fragrance does this to me. Now I've gotten to know this one a little better though I can enjoy it with no complications.
    Last edited by ericrico; 23rd December 2012 at 04:07 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

@ericrico
    8-10 sprays is quite...how would I say...allot!
    Have you ever, like heard that your cologne (Azzaro PH) doesn't smell well or you put on way too much cologne?
    I always have this feeling that someone would walk up to me and say that my Azzaro PH smells like garbage and they don't like it.

What are your thoughts on it?

That is not even a "light" wearing for me. Jokes aside - you could be in that miniscule amount of the population allergic to, the now banned by IFRA, wonderful note/fixative of Oakmoss.
    It's one of very few fragrances I need to be so judicous with. In comparison I'm pretty comfortable using 4-6, or even 8 sprays of some pretty big fragrances. Joop! Homme, Worth Pour Homme HC, stuff like that. I don't think it's a physical allergy, I can't imagine Azzaro PH is the only fragrance I own/wear with this ingrediant, though I suppose it could be, though isn't Qourum an oakmoss bomb? I like Qourum. I just find certain fragrances overwhelming and they can make me feel queasy either when sprayed too much (new Worth pour Homme, Azzaro, Coriolan) or at all (Hypnotic Poison)

Still I find the scent of Azzaro very piercing, in a good way, and a little goes a long way.

Basenotes Plus

Miket -

Current formulation Azzaro Pour Homme opens sharp - not the warmth and depth of Vintage. It is rather hollow and doesn't have the rich heart like Vintage either. However, 8 sprays of Joop! Homme to me, would be sickly sweet. It is a scent that I only wore a few times when I was younger in life...and, quite honestly, was going out to hook up with college girls. Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration is a powerful scent that dries down similarly to Azzaro, but has even more projection to me.

4-6 sprays is a moderate wearing for me - and I layer more after it reaches drydown. Again, I spray on a few shots of Vintage formulation in different spots to sniff and enjoy, but Azzaro Pour Homme's aura-like scent stays relatively close.

To answer your question, Sherdil, simply - no. I have never received ANY negative compliments regarding wearing too much of it. As a matter of fact, I get compliments. Not as many as other fragrances - anise is a note that is not for everyone, but "how" you wear the scent is important (ie. with masculine/macho or a nice button-down shirt, untucked with designer jeans...slightly sophisticated attire works as well). Not one I reach for in hot weather. Warm, yes - and a lighter application (8-10+ sprays is for NOW...cold winter, rain and wind). It stays close and needs body heat. I only spray on clothing that touches skin, by the way.

So, to each their own. If you talk with most people who love this fragrance, they will agree that a nice wearing is one that give you a nice, arm's length radiant aroma (an aura of notes) during the drydown. And, remember, although the reformulation is wearable...Vintage is superior and I will not even mention Azzaro Pour Homme Intense (a deeper, richer version with less top notes and more body - but it wears even closer).

A classic from 1978 - a fantastic scent. Two requirements to have when you put this on:

1. An attitude that is macho, yet suave and confident - not loud and arrogant...with proper attire and a bit of swagger.
    2. A strong like (or love) for anise as a note.

I have, admittingly (and honestly), both. I wear much louder and more powerful scents than this and while some people will ask about my cologne - they ask out of curiosity and imagination. Enjoy it.

Happy Holidays to you - cheers,

ericrico

It's one of very few fragrances I need to be so judicous with. In comparison I'm pretty comfortable using 4-6, or even 8 sprays of some pretty big fragrances. Joop! Homme, Worth Pour Homme HC, stuff like that. I don't think it's a physical allergy, I can't imagine Azzaro PH is the only fragrance I own/wear with this ingrediant, though I suppose it could be, though isn't Qourum an oakmoss bomb? I like Qourum. I just find certain fragrances overwhelming and they can make me feel queasy either when sprayed too much (new Worth pour Homme, Azzaro, Coriolan) or at all (Hypnotic Poison)

Still I find the scent of Azzaro very piercing, in a good way, and a little goes a long way.
    Last edited by ericrico; 22nd December 2012 at 11:34 PM.

It's a great old school scent. I don't smell much in common with Rive Gauche though. They both rock in their own way

Current formulation Azzaro Pour Homme opens sharp - not the warmth and depth of Vintage. It is rather hollow and doesn't have the rich heart like Vintage either. However, 8 sprays of Joop! Homme to me, would be sickly sweet. It is a scent that I only wore a few times when I was younger in life...and, quite honestly, was going out to hook up with college girls. Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration is a powerful scent that dries down similarly to Azzaro, but has even more projection to me.
    You should try layering vintage worth Pour Homme and Pour Homme HC. It's a very interesting experience.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Miket -

Already ahead of you there...! ;-) I found the current Worth Pour Homme (clear bottle, blue letter in the blue box) to be a nice, well-mannered fougere. I also have the excellent (bright green) Vintage Worth Pour Homme After Shave spray (bottles currently on sale on Ebay for a very good price - $23.99 from this seller). It has wonderful aromatics and emollients. Very rich! It actually layers well with both Vintage Worth Pour Homme EdT (which is very good) and, I found a great layered effect with Worth PH Haute Concentration in the Blue & Red paisley box! I tried mixing current juice once with the Haute Concentration and, honestly, the HC is so strong, it buried the Worth PH in current formulation. But, Vintage After Shave - it is strong/full-bodied and rich, but it mellows out very well. You can find a thread here on Basenotes. My friend, Boge - you can thank him for that!

We started on Azzaro Pour Homme and ended up on Worth Pour Homme - I am a huge fan of classic Aromatic Fougeres (Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is my favorite male fragrance of all time - as a lot of people on this forum know). So, not a strange coincidence.

The Original Poster (OP) who started this thread, Sherdil, will hopefully one day realize the beauty in this composition and find other classics to be appealing. It doesn't come easy, but with time and taste...

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

You should try layering vintage worth Pour Homme and Pour Homme HC. It's a very interesting experience.
    - - - Updated - - -

LINK to Worth Pour Homme After Shave (Vintage) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/281025206032?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hey Miket -

Already ahead of you there...! ;-) I found the current Worth Pour Homme (clear bottle, blue letter in the blue box) to be a nice, well-mannered fougere. I also have the excellent (bright green) Vintage Worth Pour Homme After Shave spray (bottles currently on sale on Ebay for a very good price - $23.99 from this seller). It has wonderful aromatics and emollients. Very rich! It actually layers well with both Vintage Worth Pour Homme EdT (which is very good) and, I found a great layered effect with Worth PH Haute Concentration in the Blue & Red paisley box! I tried mixing current juice once with the Haute Concentration and, honestly, the HC is so strong, it buried the Worth PH in current formulation. But, Vintage After Shave - it is strong/full-bodied and rich, but it mellows out very well. You can find a thread here on Basenotes. My friend, Boge - you can thank him for that!

We started on Azzaro Pour Homme and ended up on Worth Pour Homme - I am a huge fan of classic Aromatic Fougeres (Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is my favorite male fragrance of all time - as a lot of people on this forum know). So, not a strange coincidence.

The Original Poster (OP) who started this thread, Sherdil, will hopefully one day realize the beauty in this composition and find other classics to be appealing. It doesn't come easy, but with time and taste...

Cheers, my friend.

ericrico

Remember you can always dilute a frag with perfumer's alcohol or vodka, which will tell you if the strength is the issue or something else, perhaps the fougere accord in APH is too strong, for example. Unlike others here, I usually get excellent sillage with one spray to the chest, though with some I use two.

In spite if its strength, never had similar problems with it, at least not so far.

One of my very favorites I have!
    Have 2 200ml brand new bottles sealed for backup!
    Haven't tried the vintage, but even the new one is fantastic to me with quite good sillage and longevity.
    ALWAYS will have it in my collection...

Reading through this thread, I may have to reconsider APH, and pick some up for $20 at TJ Maxx.

besides, if this scent is too intense to some people they can try and shift to more lighter flankers such as Azzaro PH Leau...
    definitely worths trying.

Quote Originally Posted by charger View Post
    It's a great old school scent. I don't smell much in common with Rive Gauche though. They both rock in their own way
    You are correct, bro. I picked up some APH today, and do not smell any great similarity to Rive Gauche. Maybe a little bit at the top, but without the spiciness/fizziness I get from RG.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 24th December 2012 at 05:16 PM.

I picked up a small spray bottle for $15 at Wal-Mart (of all places). It was a blind buy, but it was cheap so I didn't have any reservations. This fragrance smells very, very much like California for Men. I definitely noticed the anise note right off the bat. APH is OK but I don't quite understand why it's loved so much. It's just another fougere, which all seem a bit similar in my experience. I'll wear it but won't purchase again.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own it and love it.
    +1 Love it. My wife hates it though.

Have to agree with ericrico, I use 2 sprays to the chest, back and left/right neck. I have the new Azzaro, and find that 2-3 sprays will not be noticeable at all. Even with 8 sprays, I find it very subtle and not objectionable at all. I think it is beautiful scent.

See, everyone has different taste. Even i hated Azzaro Pour Homme initially and never wrote it . However , i still have 5ml of it left , I even use it sometimes as a room freshner ( smells wonderful). I would say its a classic , and definitely a keeper!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have an original vintage bottle from 1978/ it's first year release. It's fantastic after all these years!

Attachment 19256
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherdil View Post
    Hi,

I have recently bought an Azzaro Pour Homme cologne. And honestly, I am very dissapointed in it. Very.
    I really do guess everyone has different taste. I dont know what so overwhelming about Azzaro but it's the citrus, I have been sitting here with a massive headache without having a clue that Azzaro PH is the cause of my headache. Took my shirt out and headache was over.
    What are your thoughts on APH? I have seen a massive amount of positive feedback, when I got it in my mail I was so excited untill I opened the package and smelled the overwhelming citrus. It smells like one of my aftershave gel I used to buy in a dollarstore. Lol

Anyways not here to cry about this and that. Everyones taste is different and I respect that.
    Anyone else here has the same feeling about APH as I do?
    Good frag. And fairly complex.

But if you go in expecting something other than a frag straight out of the 80s you'll be very disappointed.

I respect it for what it is, and really think that it's well put together.....and I enjoyed sniffing it out. But I can't wear it.

I've only worn it once from a tester at Sephora's, but I remember it having similar vibes to RG, and I quite liked it.