Code of Conduct

Default Parfumes in Miniature: are a good or bad affair ?

I have no experience in "miniature" parfumes (mini-perfumes in bottles from 0.04oz to 0.3 oz , or 2, 3, 5, 7, up to 10 ml) ....

I'd like to know if Miniature Perfumes contain the same juice of "normal" ones and, if stored correctly inside their boxes, maintain the correct smell after years. My concerns are about all miniatures have NOT sprays but only splashes, and may evaporate during the years.
    I am going to buy some miniatures from '70 and '80 and I don't want to find bad surprises.
    Thank for your answers.

Default Re: Parfumes in Miniature: are a good or bad affair ?

I do not collect or purchase miniatures, but I know many people who do. If stored under proper conditions, even though most are splashes, they should be fine. The contents to my best knowledge is the same as in the larger representatives.

As hednic was saying, the content should be the same. Sometimes, the price per ml can be lower than for bigger bottles that often become collectible. I've usually been lucky with minis and the content was good, but other people are more skeptical.

As usual, it depends on how it has been stored. You are right that in general spray bottles tend to deteriorate more slowly, other things equal, because they tend to keep the seal better. But it varies a lot. Evaporation is not a big deal per se - this tends to concentrate the juice, but evaporation because the bottle is open can also mean some oxidation. However, light and temperature are bigger concerns.

But also as usual, vintage stuff can go bad or be tampered with, so everybody's bound to find stuff gone bad or fake. Before deciding how much money to put down, one should always consider the possibility that, say, 25% of the bottles are bad. A reputable seller who is willing to take the stuff back if there are problems also help, but usually, unless the ad guarantees that the smell is good, one cannot send them back because of deterioration.

cacio

CologneFan85

I own the John Varvatos house in all miniatures from a gift set. They smell the same as the larger bottles. I store them the same etc...all okay.

Basenotes Plus

I've seen shops displaying their miniature bottles under spotlights. Avoid these. Get them in their original packaging and you should be fine. I like miniatures btw. I think it's a good way to build up a sample collection without sacrificing the aesthetics of original packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I've seen shops displaying their miniature bottles under spotlights. Avoid these. Get them in their original packaging and you should be fine. I like miniatures btw. I think it's a good way to build up a sample collection without sacrificing the aesthetics of original packaging.
    I agree with this...there are a few frags that I would like to have in original packaging but doubt that I'd wear often enough to buy a full bottle. So I would definitely buy smaller bottles or minis for these frags (one I love so but only wear on special occasions etc. So I bought a smaller bottle, "purse spray" size. It'll last a good long time.)