Code of Conduct

Default A fraghead's worst nightmare!

I seem to be developing a bit of a head cold or a sinus infection and it's slowly but surely ruining my sense of smell into the bargain!

The timing couldn't be worse as I have just received two packs of samples including various gems from Killian, Serge Lutens, Lubin, Dior Hedi Slimane exclusives, Creed and more, and I'm eager to start sniffing! I just blind-bought three bargain bottles too and am keen to know if I've chosen well or landed a trio of turkeys. Are there any weird and wonderful remedies out there to speed up my olfactory recovery?

That got me to thinking about sense of smell in general: does anyone know if there are tried and tested ways of boosting the keenness of one's nasal protrusion? I once read that zinc is supposed to be good for this, or is it just a case of training it on the various notes in the fragrances we sniff?

Cheers

Default Re: A fraghead's worst nightmare!

Sorry you have a head cold and will not be able to appreciate your samples. I'm sure in time it will clear up and you will be back to sampling.

I don't know anyway to improve your sense of smell but if you go to the fragrantica website on the reviews section you can get a breakdown of notes of almost any frag. You can use this to train yourself to detect certain notes in a frag that you have by smelling it then checking the notes. In time you will be able to detect bergamont, tobacco, amber etc in scents.

Get well soon!

Your cold/infection will have to run it's course, but if it gets really bad, a cortisone shot (or pills) can help the inflammation greatly. Aside from that, get yourself a neti pot and use it twice a day to irrigate your sinuses with some saline solution. It really helps, especially with a problem like yours.

Just give it a few days and you'll be good to go.

CologneFan85

Eat Vitamin C

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    I once read that zinc is supposed to be good for this, or is it just a case of training it on the various notes in the fragrances we sniff?
    A quick comment that probably isn't relevant, but just in case: I've read that those zinc sprays for colds have been known, in a very very small number of cases, to _destroy_ one's sense of smell. I don't think that there are any cases of this with the lozenges, just the sprays.

Overcome By Fumes

Increasing nasal "protrusion" was achieved most effectively by lying, at least in the case of Pinnochio. It is true, as pointed out by ChickenFreak, that there are cases of zinc toxicity causing loss of sense of smell(anosmia) so that would not be recommended. Most decongestants or antihistamines have a tendency to dull one a bit and also dry the nasal passages which normally work best when they are clear and moist. Your best bet is to save the sampling til your head clears as that will give you the most accurate and pleasing results. There are no drugs of which I am aware that actually enhance olfactory sensitivity.

Bally annoying young sir.

When one is suffering, one's gentleman's personal gentleman recommends 1g effervescent vitamin C in water every 90 minutes and inhaling tea tree oil sprinkled in hot water with a towel over one's head. Also, echinacea tincture from a herbalist is rather spiffing.

Faling all that, a good shot of whiskey and S.

One hopes that Master Voodoodanny recovers in time for the festive frivolities at the Manor House.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

"Anticipation Makes the Pleasure."

A quote I love that I saw on a Dove Chocolate wrapper once...
    Last edited by Nosebud; 22nd December 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: 2x

Thank you, your royal highness and others for the sound advice - I have been dosing myself silly on vitamin C for a couple of days and it seems to be keeping the mucus at bay to an extent (apologies to all those who might currently be eating).

I even had a dabble with an improvised neti pot! Messy.

The ol' sense of smell is definitely not 100% but I sprayed a little Dirty English on my hand earlier after receiving my little 15ml bottle in the post and that seemed to blow out a few cobwebs!

Oh, and any excuse to drink whisky...

Wasabi seems to clear my sinuses EXTREMELY well, too bad I never have wasabi around when my nose is stuffed up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I caught a cold from my kids, too. I don't even know why I sprayed anything on today. Habit...

Bring on the Zicam!

One is pleased that one's nasal inconvenience hasn't turned into the plague. Prayers of thanks will be said in the Minster this evening.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I like to use zinc lozenges when I suspect I'm battling a bug. Several a day seems to either ward off the virus or at least cut short the misery. Also, irrigating the nostrils with saline solution is helpful. Lots of warm/hot liquids. Plenty of hand washing.

- - - Updated - - -

I like to use zinc lozenges when I suspect I'm battling a bug. Several a day seems to either ward off the virus or at least cut short the misery. Also, irrigating the nostrils with saline solution is helpful. Lots of warm/hot liquids. Plenty of hand washing.

You can't take Vitamin C when you've already got a cold, and expect it to help you.

I take 2 grams of vitamins Vitamin C every day, and i havent had a cold in years. Even when i'm around people that are sick and sneezing and leaking lol.

Be careful with it however, not all Vitamin C is created equally.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    You can't take Vitamin C when you've already got a cold, and expect it to help you.

I take 2 grams of vitamins Vitamin C every day, and i havent had a cold in years. Even when i'm around people that are sick and sneezing and leaking lol.

My understanding is that most of the Vitamin C in the world is manufactured in China. Not sure what that means with regard to quality.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

Thank you but I, like you, take good quality vitamin C daily and, also like you, almost never fall ill. This is despite spending a good few years of my life working with classes of 30 or so germy primary school children.

Once in a blue moon however, a few germs will inevitably slip the net and so I simply added an effervescent vitamin tablet to my daily routine to help things along a little.