Code of Conduct

Default Smelled the most beautiful fragrance; Can't believe what it was!

I was in starbucks today doing some work and a guy comes in and sits relatively close. Even though coffee saturates the air, I got a glorious cloud of the most realistic cedar note with a tinge on spice on top and sweetness underneath. It was perfect! i kept getting wafts of this and my curiosity mounted. How was I going to ask what it was? This was burning on my mind. Was it Tam Dao, Kyoto? I had to know. I finally got the courage to ask on my way out and much to my surprise, it was Molecule 01. Many say it is just a bucket of Iso E Super, and yes, that it is, but I love it regardless and purchased a bottle for my gift to myself.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Smelled the most beautiful fragrance; Can't believe what it was!

Molecule 01 is an amazing fragrance. A smoother, longer lasting Tam Dao. On my wishlist as well.. good stuff!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Very interesting - a blind sniff out in the wild is always better than a poky little sample vial groaning under the weight of a gazillion Basenotes comments and the expectations that come with them !

Thanks for the field report

Basenotes Plus

Love this kind of stories! Hope you get the same experience when it's on your skin next.

Nice. So relieved you didn't say Axe.

Great anecdote!

I've gotten interesting comments while wearing Molecule 01. One in particular really stood out.

HER: "Mmmm. You smell great."
    ME: "Thanks! I'm wearing something called Molecule 01."
    HER: "Is it cologne? I had no idea you were wearing cologne. I thought that's just what you smell like. Anyway, I like it!"

I've gotten great feedback on Molecule 01, but it's been like that: it smells great, but it doesn't smell like you're wearing a scent. I have to admit, I don't understand those comments at all since, to me, Molecule 01 smells VERY woody. I can see why it's usually just an ingredient among many (Iso E Super, I mean. Molecule 01 is nothing but Iso E Super, diluted). Every time I wear it, I find myself thinking of all the things I'd love to add to it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Every time I wear it, I find myself thinking of all the things I'd love to add to it.
    Try layering with it, I've found it works great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Try layering with it, I've found it works great for that.
    Agreed, this is the best way to enjoy Molecule 01, in my opinion. It tends to be almost non-existent when I wear it myself, but others do pick up on it.

However, I buy primarily for myself to enjoy and while I do appreciate the transparent nature of Molecule 01, it can be difficult to smell on one's self.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

I finally picked up a full bottle from lucky scent about a month ago.

Re-visited my sample wondering why I haven't been wearing this more often!

I agree that it's much better than Tam Dao. It's so easy to ear and smells so natural. Sprayed some on my wrist last night and it was still very prominent this morning. Love it!

Great story. I purchased a bottle of this a few months back - it is a great thing to wear when you don't know what to wear.

It is actually a well-complimented fragrance. Enjoy!
    Last edited by dougczar; 24th December 2012 at 07:49 PM.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

Wow is Molecule 01 that great? I have never tried it, but after hearing this story, I might have to grab a bottle, to satisfy my own curiosity. People have raved about this scent with various opinions, so I've been on the fence. Now I have a few questions that need to be answered. How do you wear this scent and how do you know when or if you've sprayed enough on yourself?

One spray from my sample is enough to last most of the day. Some people say they can't smell it, but I also get a very clear semi-sweet woody-cedar scent. I do enjoy it, especially for the first few hours, but I find it gets a little boring 6-7 hours in. I haven't tried layering it but that sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    Wow is Molecule 01 that great? I have never tried it, but after hearing this story, I might have to grab a bottle, to satisfy my own curiosity. People have raved about this scent with various opinions, so I've been on the fence. Now I have a few questions that need to be answered. How do you wear this scent and how do you know when or if you've sprayed enough on yourself?
    I'd recommend buying a sample rather than a bottle. Molecule 01 is a scent that would be very easy for basenoters to dislike. It isn't particularly complex, it doesn't evolve much over time, and it can be too subtle for those who crave the bold. Also, since Iso E Super is such a large molecule, many people can't smell it, and others can't smell it for long.

That being said, I have no trouble smelling it at all. I really enjoy it.

How to wear it? You wear it the way you wear any other scent. I'm mostly a three spray guy, and I find that three sprays of Molecule 01 easily easily easily last 16+ hours on me. I get excellent longevity from it. The same rules of Aventus seem to apply with Molecule 01 too, meaning olfactory fatigue is common, so don't overdo it. Also, like Aventus, the hype for it can be downright stupid (I've seen some of the same people who hyped Aventus as the best scent in the history of perfumery sell their bottles because it didn't live up to the hype. LOL! I fear Molecule 01 could see the same). Ignore the hype. Give it a smell and decide for yourself. Molecule 01 is different. You need to wear it for a few days to really understand it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thanks for sharing! Will have to test this.

After 2 days and 3 showers, I still catch a hint of that first spray to the wrist. It comes and goes but has great longevity!

Is there anywhere this can be found in-store?

I believe therapy systems has it at my mall in Nashville

Absolution has it in Nashville.