Code of Conduct

Default DE shavers, which blade?

I just started wet shaving and use a DE.
    I have only been using the Derbys my razor came with and they seem way to gentle.
    I want to hear each whisker being cut, but don't want to feel any tug.

Sample packes seem to have a bunch of filler blades so I am okay with ordering specific samples or brands and blades.

Cheers!

Default Re: DE shavers, which blade?

Feather blades are super sharp.

I like Personna Platinums ('reds') and Astra Superior Platinums. Feathers are v sharp but I'm more likely to nick myself with those. Derbys are just 'OK' for me, I wouldn't buy them though.

I'm a few days away from deducing whether Feathers are too sharp or very sharp.
    I used feathers for a few weeks then Astra SP a week and noticed feathers were too sharp. But too many variables changed in that period (razor- went from TF&H Carlton to Muhlemr41 and soaps). I've been using the same razor and soap for a few weeks now (r41 & I Coloniali) with feathers. Next shaves will be with the Astra SP to determine whether it's (feathers are too sharp) in my head or theyre truly aggressively more abrasive.

for swap/sale:

I haven't tried most of my sample blades yet, but am only really familiar with a few blades.

My Shark Stainless Steel blades are very mild (I like them in my very aggressive razors, like Merkur Bakelite)

The Gillette Super Thin Stainless steel blades are much sharper and last longer than the Shark ones.

Supermax Stainless Steel blades are about as sharp as the Gillette Super Thins, but they don't last as long (but they're real cheap).

My Astra SP blades are the sharpest ones I've regularly tried, and they often deliver nicks the others don't in the very same razors - even after 18 shaves one was still nicking me. A chap at Badger & Blade pointed out to me that if I corked the blade, I'd make it gentler. By corking he meant getting a cork from a wine/ champagne bottle, pressing the blade a quarter inch into it, and sliding it out sideways. This did work well.

I've been too scared to try my Feather blades in regular razors, but I did use one in my ultra mild Weber DLC razor, and it works fine - zero nicks.
    Regards,
    Renato

I had a free packet of those Derby blades with my EJ DE89 razor and they only gave me two shaves with tugging so I ditched them for the feather blades and have never been happier. They are very sharp but if you use a light touch with your razor whilst shaving you should have no problems.

Feather gets a thumbs up from me too but take your time. Also a fan of the Merkur Super Platinum blades.

Ditched the derbys. Switched to Astra.. can't remember the model.
    They did a pretty good job. I think the razor just isn't very aggressive.
    Using a 1960 gillette flairtip F2.
    Muhle R89Grande is in the mail, though.
    Excited X)

i like feather blades....the merkur platinum that came with my slant bar were terible
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

anyone cork their blades, particularly Feathers?

I've mostly just used Derby's and can't complain. I did buy a mixed pack of other blades but haven't had time to work through them TBH.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I bought many different brands from Connaught and I'm still working my way through them. The sharpest up to now have been Feather like most have mentioned here. But I cut myself too much with them and prefer something a little more gentle but not too gentle. Up to now I've also tried Astra, Bic Chrome, Crystal, Derby, Gilette 7 o'Clock, Israel (blue labelling), Lord, Personna Platinum and Wilkinson Sword white label. I've also tried Tesco's own which I think I read are rebranded Personnas and I've tried Merkur. My favourites up to now have been Lord Super Stainless and Personna Platinum followed by Astra. Still got some others to try - Perma-Sharp, Tiger Superior, Timor Stainless and Treet Platinum.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I've mostly just used Derby's and can't complain. I did buy a mixed pack of other blades but haven't had time to work through them TBH.
    What do you mean by corking the feather blades? I have used Feather blades for years. Curious.

Never bothered corking a blade: If it doesn't suit me straight out of the packet, I'm not interested.

For cheap blades, Shark. Bestshave has the best prices.

For premium blades, Gillette 7 O'clock Blue or Black.

corking is taking a new blade and running it along a wine cork a few times. I've heard it helps remove any burrs and also slightly dulls the blade because sometimes they're 'too' sharp so you can cut yourself more easily. It doesn't make the blade dull, just gives you a little more room to play with before getting sliced.

my new R89 Grande with Astras worked pretty good.

Just ordered the bullgoose mvp sampler pack. Excited about trying out some new blades..

There are some great blades in there. Don't write off any blade too hastily; I found that as my technique improved I could get a decent shave from blades I had formerly dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I cork my Astra SPs unless they are in ultra mild razors.
    Renato

Astras, Feathers and Personna Med Preps--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Astra SP blades. An all round performer that works in a variety of razors.