Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Armani eau pour homme

So...

I recently acquired a brand new vintage Armani eau pour homme

Oh my goodness...

I cannot believe how different it is from the new current reformulation. Believe what others are saying...in the case of Armani PH...the new formulation is a totally different fragrance, and highly synthetic compared to the vintage.

Vintage Armani PH is such a beautiful, clean, sophisticated, classy, yet simple fragrance. Very rich to my nose. I really really enjoy it. One of my all time favorites, and I MUUUCH prefer it to Eau Sauvage!

Longevity isn't awful, but it could be slightly better.

What is similar to Armani PH, and has that same classic, rich feel? Boucheron PH?

Default Re: Vintage Armani eau pour homme

Also have the original Armani Pour Homme - great stuff and quite unique IMO.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
    ...What is similar to Armani PH, and has that same classic, rich feel? Boucheron PH?
    Hermes Bel Ami is closer but slightly animalic/leathery with its castoreum. Versace l'Homme is also a similar leathery alternative, without the animalics.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Another vote for Boucheron PH. Plus vintage Armani Eau pour Homme is truly stunning, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post

I cannot believe how different it is from the new current reformulation. Believe what others are saying...in the case of Armani PH...the new formulation is a totally different fragrance, and highly synthetic compared to the vintage.

What is similar to Armani PH, and has that same classic, rich feel? Boucheron PH?
    Yes, its good isn't it?

Boucheron PH, especially the EDP, is similar to the Armani in that it is a Citrus Chypre that is very rich. The floral middle is different for me, in Armani Eau PH its about Carnation which is spicy, in Boucheron it is Rose and Ylang which is more powdery and slightly sweet.

Let me put it this way. Image to your left you have Armani Eau PH and Chanel Pour Monsieur. To your right you have Aramis 900 and Clinique Aromatics Elixir. All are called Chypres, and you will be able to see similarities between both left scents, and both right scents, but it will be harder to see the connection between left and right (and therefore why all of them are called Chypres).

Boucheron PH is the point in the middle, that allowed me to "join the dots" and connect left and right as part of a continuum.
    Last edited by andym72; 23rd December 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Yes, it is quite good! I got to smell Boucheron PH parfum at the mall today. I can't say it is as good, or if I even like it. There is something about it that I don't hate, but I don't like it either.

I had my very first Creed experience today as well! Got a few samples as well. Imperial Millsime, SMW, and Aventus. I really enjoy IM, and SMW. I don't like Aventus at all, and can't understand why people love it so much! I sprayed some GIT on my wrist, and I can definitely see the Cool Water comparison, but GIT is just on a whole different level. I can't say I liked it enough to buy however.

- - - Updated - - -

@andym72

thanks for nice explanation.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Which is why I've stopped wearing Armani Eau Pour Homme in its recent incarnation. It's been 'hollowed out' imho, if that makes sense to you.

Closest in feel at least for me was Rochas Eau pour Homme .

Yea, I don't think I would be able to wear the current formulation of Armani Eau Pour Homme, after experiencing the vintage. It is almost as if they made a totally different scent, most likely because of cheaper ingredients, and more synthetics.

I will have to check it out. Does Neiman Marcus sell it?

Basenotes Institution

Where'd you buy the vintage? eBay?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hope to get my hands on this one day! One of the few vintages that eludes me.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Where'd you buy the vintage? eBay?
    Yes!

- - - Updated - - -

I got a few samples of Aqua di Parma hoping that it would provide me with a similar vibe, but I ended up disliking the way ADP reacted on me. There are a few notes that really didn't vibe with me.

Armani Pour Homme vintage- A classic by a great perfumer Roger Pellegrino. (Who was other of the two who created Macassar, the other being Nicholas Mamounas.) -A great citrus fragrance, which smells absolutely incredible on those whom it fits.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Very well put! Just like any other fragrance...there has to be good chemistry between the wearer and the juice. This juice definitetly suits me quite well! I am already worried about finding a replacement...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Which is why I've stopped wearing Armani Eau Pour Homme in its recent incarnation. It's been 'hollowed out' imho, if that makes sense to you.

Closest in feel at least for me was Rochas Eau pour Homme .
    I second this, and Eau de Rochas POUR Homme, with the word Pour in the name, and in the glass-cap bottle, the juice being yellowish is vintage, a really wonderful one. Darker, more resinous, greener, more natural than the reformulated Eau de Rochas Homme.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I will look into it, thank you for the suggestion.

There are so many great fragrances out there...it's tough not to blow a ton of money on them!

BUMP. I just acquired a 3.4 bottle from the mid 90s, I also own a bottle from 2012. Most will not agree with me, but they smell practically identical to me. Both beautiful citrus. both poor on longevity.

Completely agree.
    One of the best "verbena lemon" (verbena oil-based) scent ever produced.
    Beautiful on skin, stunning on clothes.
    Remember the word "pour homme", otherwise it's the reformulated version.

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I second this, and Eau de Rochas POUR Homme, with the word Pour in the name, and in the glass-cap bottle, the juice being yellowish is vintage, a really wonderful one. Darker, more resinous, greener, more natural than the reformulated Eau de Rochas Homme.
    Last edited by Andr Moreau; 4th May 2014 at 10:01 PM.
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.