Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best "non-perfume" fragrance

I don't know about you, but if I've been wearing a challenging scent all day, I don't really feel like putting anything "perfumey" on before bed. So, what's your pick for the best "non-perfume" fragrance? I'm looking for a feminine version of the classic cologne... light, clean, and ideally inexpensive, whether it's a drugstore body splash or a slightly more expensive pick from Sephora's fragrance wall. No niche, please. If I'm going to spend $200+ on a bottle, I want to be awake to enjoy it.

NR Essence Eau de Musc would be a nice pick, other than a slightly musty vibe (I think it's the combo of musk and iris) that doesn't seem to say pleasant dreams to me. It's okay if it doesn't have longevity-- actually, that's even better. No lingering scent to interfere with the next day's fragrance.

Thanks!

Default Re: Best "non-perfume" fragrance

I'm still partial to the vanillas by B&BW. If you love vanilla, Body Fantasies vanilla (drug store) is pretty good too, but it's very sweet.

I've found that I have some vanilla from B&BW that's a few years old, it's a cream and it has shimmer in it (the shimmer is why I rarely wear it). I layered it under a perfume for a party, and it was LOVELY!!!

LOL, I knew I should have specified no vanilla... but I didn't want to restrict the replies for the others who might be looking for recommendations.

Vanilla, unfortunately, goes instantaneously cloying on me. (Love Etc. from The Body Shop would have been perfect if I liked vanilla...as would CK Euphoria, which I found in EdT for $30 at Marshalls last week.)

Brown Sugar & Fig and Sensual Amber from BBW are both nice (I have the body butters) but they are sweeter than what I'm hoping to find right now. Maybe the Sea Island Cotton?

Have you tried BBW Honeysuckle? I'm not familiar with it so I don't know, but it sounds like it might be a nice, light scent.

I like Black Raspberry Vanilla from them too (really doesn't smell like vanilla).

Okay, I might just have to make a quick trip over to BBW now. I haven't ever really tried the Bigelow frags either, but one of the Lemon ones might do the trick as well... Let you know how it turns out.

I always think Bigelow stuff looks like it would be really good. My mom used to love the rosebud salve when she was younger. I have never tried any of it for some reason though.

I'm not brave enough to go near BBW until AFTER Christmas. B&N today was bad enough. *lol*

There is no such thing as a non-perfume. Fragrance is just fragrance. To undermine the whole notion of what scent is boggles the mind! You can no more have a non-perfume as non-food, or non-wine!

I do recall Jennifer Aniston's EDP released as a "non-perfume" perfume when it was launched, and I thought, "OK, a scent for people who don't like scent."

An article said this: "In one of the many interviews she gave pre-launch, Ms. Aniston talked about her inspiration for the scent: her love of the outdoors, the beach air, California and how she wanted it to be a nonperfume."

(Source: http://www.thenonblonde.com/2011/05/...r-aniston.html )

Next time, I will request a wine that is a non-wine.

Seriously, for a light, clean scent, I agree that Bigelow has nice light scents. I would try the Lemon and Orange Blossom. Fresh and clean, but in the EDP strength may still be too much for people who want next to nothing.

Jean Nate is a very light and fleeting scent that might fit your bill.
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd December 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I think what you mean is a 'reset' fragrance- a neutral choice.

It depends on the individual as to what resets their factory settings, some go for something light and unobtrusive, some go for the powdery or vanilla comfort scents, some go for a nostalgic fragrance, clean scents or something with a tranquil association. Then you have the aromatherapy lot who go for essential oils.

It really depends on the mood you are trying to achieve, and the scent you wore that you need to balance out from. For instance, if you have been wearing SL Fleurs D'Oranger, something light and citrussy is probably not the right choice and you'd be better off with something soft and powdery like Prada Iris.

Okay, I'm going to go hide under the bed now... though after having read some blog posts on the difference between fragrance and perfume (that is, there are scents that are "bases" rather than more complex perfumes), I figured you guys would know what I mean. (I did have some wine last week that should be considered a non-wine, but I really couldn't recommend it. )

But anyway... yes, a reset fragrance. I remember Jean Nate from childhood...haven't thought of it in, oh, 20 years.

I picked up a couple of the fragrance mists that are on sale right now for $6 at BBW, so we'll see if they fit the bill. Even if I don't like them, it wasn't much of a risk.
    Last edited by jadelotus; 22nd December 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added line

Quote Originally Posted by jadelotus View Post
    I'm looking for a feminine version of the classic cologne
    With regards to this particular point, I wouldn't have thought that a classic cologne (e.g. Acqua di Parma, Acqua di Genova, etc) is particularly masculine - more unisex, to my mind. I've sometimes worn an old school EDC to bed, and it works very well. I like SMN Classica cologne, though it's not the cheapest available. Simple lavender waters (e.g. Caldey Island, Agua Lavanda) also work well, and sound like what you're describing.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Sounds like the thing, WillC. Classic is probably the wrong word. I was thinking in terms of Chanel and Mugler, which I find to be somewhat masculine, but a simple lavender water would be lovely.

4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser is an old staple, a classic neroli eau de cologne, still pleasant, still cheap. As all eau de cologne recipes it doesn't last, but that's a plus in the circumstance.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

You may want to look at Jo Malone. Most of their fragrances are cologne strength, have a large selection and they won't break the bank.

Thanks all for some wonderful suggestions! A-sampling I will go...

How about Les Plus Belles Lavandes by Caron? This is a very light lavender scent that might be what you want before sleeping.

Lavender is great for relaxing.

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...s-perfume.html

I just use a scented hand lotion I like. That way the scent is not too powerful.

Another recommendation is an Eau de Cologne by Molinard. This is in the spirit of the light eaux of the 19th century. They carry several.

Lastly, try Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain. Wonderful floral/herbal scent. Light and in the EDT.

Read this: http://www.nstperfume.com/2006/03/27...-apres-londee/

EDIT: Oh, here is another "non-perfume": Juliette Has A Gun Not A Perfume. Really, that is what it is called.

http://66.147.244.193/~whatmens/2012...not-a-perfume/
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd December 2012 at 06:06 AM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post
    I think what you mean is a 'reset' fragrance- a neutral choice.
    What a great way of putting it!

When I'm wanting a "break" from fragrances going to bed, I normally spray the bedclothes a light eau de cologne or rosewater cologne - both bought from Boots (do you have Boots in the UK?) and cheap as chips. That way I go to sleep in something soft and refreshing. Another favourite is a gingery travel spray from the Body Shop, discontinued...wow, 10 years ago. Hadn't realised it was that long!

And sometimes when I'm all perfumed out....I go to bed unscented

Have you considered the Guerlain Aqua Allegorias? The AA Pamplelune is a light, grapefruit fragrance that I find to be a "non-challenging, non-perfume" in the spirit of a cologne.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I can appreciate just what you mean, Jade.

I think Bulgari Au The Blanc (white tea) is a perfect example. It may not be the scent to push your particular buttons, but it's definitely of that class of non-intrusive fragrances.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Guerlain's Eau de Guerlain or Imperiale. Both are fairly neutral, Imperiale smells like froot loops
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Dependent

Florida Water. Light, refreshing, and gone well before the sun rises.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_cello View Post
    What a great way of putting it!

When I'm wanting a "break" from fragrances going to bed, I normally spray the bedclothes a light eau de cologne or rosewater cologne - both bought from Boots (do you have Boots in the UK?) and cheap as chips. That way I go to sleep in something soft and refreshing. Another favourite is a gingery travel spray from the Body Shop, discontinued...wow, 10 years ago. Hadn't realised it was that long!

And sometimes when I'm all perfumed out....I go to bed unscented
    This may be Basenotes heresy but...whats wrong with just....not wearing perfume? If you don't want to wear one, because you're worn out from smelling something all day....then just don't wear anything? There's no law that says you have to be scented at all times...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    This may be Basenotes heresy but...whats wrong with just....not wearing perfume? If you don't want to wear one, because you're worn out from smelling something all day....then just don't wear anything? There's no law that says you have to be scented at all times...
    I'm shocked, Kaelee. Won't that get you kicked off of BN?

In all seriousness, though, I don't always have to have perfume on. But for most people, even unscented, they are still surrounded by fragrance: fabric softener on their sheets or clothes, personal care products. I live in a house full of skin-allergic people (and my husband and I have asthma-- particularly sensitive to the synthetic aldehydic sort of fragrances used in commercial products). So literally everything we buy is unscented: laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, lotion. We can't use candles, air freshener, or little fragrance thingies in the vacuum cleaner. The only smell in the house besides food and the few cleaners that don't bother us is whatever I'm wearing, so most of the time I like to have something on. Until you have gone 100% fragrance free, you don't realize how much you miss some sort of scent in the background.

Even with my fragrance, I either have to sample first or take DH with me to make sure it doesn't bother him before I buy a bottle. And I think I'm going to have to go scrub today's perfume, because for some strange reason, it's making my throat close up. Ugh.

I just recommended it in the neighbour thread: Cologne Blanche from Dior (La Collection Priveé). I don't know how much it costs but I'd say it's worth a try.
    Starts very citrusy and then comes quickly down to an almond soft, semi-transparent slightly woody cologne. The sillage is like you have just taken a shower with a nice shower gel and tried your skin. Delicate.
    It's really nice.

Wow, it might take a while to sample all the good suggestions. It may be time to grab some vodka and my meager collection of essential oils and play mad scientist for a bit. (Truly wish I hadn't lost the box with all my cosmetic/perfume supplies in the last move. It kills me to have to replace the expensive EOs like jasmine and neroli. At least I've got some citrus and lavender still. Pick up something for the base, and I'm in business. )

I just remembered the Caudalie fragrances. They're light, very natural smelling, inexpensive (!) and very cologne-ish.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Mugler Cologne

Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange solid perfume. Unchallenging but not boring. The bar soap is nice, too; all of the other products in this scent are too fruity for me.

I've been putting Thymes Agave Nectar body lotion on my winter-dry hands when I go to bed lately; it's a nice sweetened grapefruit that's nice to fall asleep to. Again, the other products in this scent (the perfume and hand lotion) don't smell quite the same.

EizabethW Rose bath oil used to be a favorite; I'm still fond of it but I'm rotating other things in now.

Issey Miyake A Scent lotion was nice before my "free gift with purchase" mini-bottle ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange solid perfume. Unchallenging but not boring. The bar soap is nice, too; all of the other products in this scent are too fruity for me.

I've been putting Thymes Agave Nectar body lotion on my winter-dry hands when I go to bed lately; it's a nice sweetened grapefruit that's nice to fall asleep to. Again, the other products in this scent (the perfume and hand lotion) don't smell quite the same.

EizabethW Rose bath oil used to be a favorite; I'm still fond of it but I'm rotating other things in now.

Issey Miyake A Scent lotion was nice before my "free gift with purchase" mini-bottle ran out.
    Hey Chickenfreak, how is the longevity on the Tuscan Blood Orange solid perfume? I had the roll on, and gave it to my mom because it had ZERO longevity (seems like it was gone in minutes).

It's funny Pacifica should come up. I ended up picking up a bottle of the Tahitian Gardenia and the Sandalwood at the natural foods market yesterday on sale. I can't speak to the Blood Orange, but after six hours, I had a hard time washing off the Gardenia. Both linear, uncomplicated, but a little more ambitious than say The Body Shop or B&BW. The Sandalwood is as woody as a 50/50 bar - all orange and cream with some wood in the form of the popsicle stick.

Then, my mom randomly gave me an old bottle of Georgio Ocean Dreams (in return for the Hermes 24, Faubourg I gave her - gorgeous perfume, but I never feel like wearing it and it smells better on her- I think she got the better end of that deal!). I hate to say it, but the Georgio is...not bad. Reminds me a little of a less creamy Love in White, actually. I'm tempted to dilute a bit to eau de cologne strength and see what happens or stick it into a roll-on tube so I don't have to wear quite so much of it at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jadelotus View Post
    .............I don't really feel like putting anything "perfumey" on before bed. So, what's your pick for the best "non-perfume"........
    They're all "perfumes".

Perfume - perfumar to make scented, or from the Latin per fumum, meaning "through smoke."