Code of Conduct

Thumbs down The unbearable horribleness of Bath & Bodyworks' men's line - I pray Bigelow never dies

Can someone please stop the vile synthetic chemical factory of the Bath&Bodywork men's line. I went into the store to replenish my supply of C. O. Bigelow Elixir White body wash (the EDT is also fantastic btw) and I smelled a couple of the B&B scents like their EDT called simply "Citron" or as it should be referred to "Essence de Lemon Pledge" a sickeningly synthetic concoction that smells like a cross between citrus lysol and furniture polish.

Then there's their newest men's scent called "Paris" ; now admittedly it's been a couple years since I've been to Paris, but I don't think there's been a sudden men's trend in France to smell like toilet cleaner. This stuff makes Draino or Liquid Plumbr smell like a Versace Eau Fraiche. Their other scents like Oak and Amber are similarly fragrance abortions. I'm hoping these things aren't selling and telling by the supply they had compared to bigelow; they aren't. The whole B&B men's line should be discontinued and Bigelow be the premier men's line as all of those scents are respectable, if not staggeringly original. As I mentioned I'm a huge Bigelow Elixir White fan, a wonderful peppery citrus that smells very natural and lovely.

Anyways happy holidays to all and avoid the Bath & Bodyworks line like the plague... Ugh...
    Last edited by MarquisdeSod; 22nd December 2012 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The unbearable horribleness of Bath & Bodyworks' men's line - I pray Bigelow never dies

i might have to give some c/o bigelow products a try
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Default Re: The unbearable horribleness of Bath & Bodyworks' men's line - I pray Bigelow never dies

I truly enjoy the Bigelow Lemon and Orange Blossom EDP. It's like a stronger EDC.

Sad to hear about the other products.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    The whole B&B men's line should be discontinued
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!

Another fan of the Bigelow line here. I've been very happy with Black, White and Gold - all great stuff. Bath products are awesome. Very impressive line! The Bay Rum is nice, too. I love the Bay Rum shower gel.

I agree that the men's line of the BBW stuff isn't always as pleasing as the Bigelow stuff - especially in EDT format. And the men's Twilight Woods didn't grab me as much as the women's version. But I will say that the men's shower gels (Noir, Oak, Citron, Ocean) that I picked up a year or so ago are actually very pleasant. Again - the EDTs didn't make me want to buy on any of them. But I do like using those bath products.

Now - sitting under my Christmas tree (well, its kind of an interfaith Christmas tree, but whatever ) is a BBW bag with the new Dark Amber shower gel and body spray (OK - I was too cheap to get the EDT - $30 just seemed out of line). But I really liked that scent! It's not "dark amber" as we know it here, but it's a pretty substantial frag for BBW, and I just love the smell! I really felt like it was approaching Bigelow territory. Not sure - I may be eating my words in a few days. But they sure smelled nice in the store.

On the women's side, the new "Red" fragrance - despite the most awesome name ( ) - was just way too modern girlie for me. It's such an opaque fruity floral - very young - candy - trick or treat - just NOOOOOOOO. Keep it away! Go text your BFF and tell her there's an old guy who does NOT love this one.

BUT - there were two scents on the women's side that I did like a lot - Paris Amour and Country Chic. Ok. THE NAMES. Yes. But the scents were actually very nice.

The thing I love about BBW is that they REALLY make fragrance popular. It's like a madhouse in those stores. Gotta give 'em credit for that. When I'm in those stores, I just feel like any attempt to ban fragrance in public places - at least here in the stix - is doomed.

I've tried every one of their fragrances. They should stick to hand lotions and body..well whatever they sell there.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Walking past that store is like a visit to the chemical plant. Searingly horrific

Post Thanks / Like

I know I am receiving the dark amber lotion for Christmas from my mom. Which wasn't too bad to me. I also smelled the new "red" line, smelled like red wine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I generally agree, although I think the Oak body wash is nice. The Bigelow line is obviously superior, especially the Bay Rum. The Black and Black Pepper ones are pretty good, too.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I only like to use Bath & Body works nice line of soaps and lotions. I have bought the body sprays of Noir, Oak and Citron. Wearable - slightly above the quality of Axe, but some Axe sprays actually smell rather good (my favorites are Instinct, Recovery and Excite).

That said...we are talking about a large step UP to the quality line of C.O. Bigelow. I have their body sprays and lotions. Never have purchased a fragrance, but have sniffed White Elixir (which is a great scent altogether with its nice citrus and pepper). Ginger Mentha is one to look for as well. Clementine - great, if you love oranges. Lime & Coriander - another good one. But, suffice to say that I have a love for the Elixirs...I have tried all but Gold. White, Black, Green, Blue and the discontinued Red (which is very good).

To me, these are fragrance 'accessories'. Like matching a pair of socks to a nice suit, really. It should NOT be over-applied and should be put on after a shower and dried down before putting on fragrance. Find compatibility with the notes, and if you missed it the first time...don't over-apply! High school kids who don't understand scent will use a can of body spray within a couple of weeks or less.

For us fragrance lovers, a light application with complimentary notes to our fragrance lightly misted-on is nice, refreshing and smells good, but it should not interfere with your precious scent.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Redneck Perfumisto, RickS: Admittedly, I didn't try the Dark Amber but the 5 or so I tried though were appalling.

ericrico: I agree completely, but it's wonderful that Bigelow gives you the kind of quality accessories it does at the pricepoints it has. Bodywash can be had for a mere $10, the itself EDC $24, and it's natural and quality.

Tonyprince: The Bay Rum is nice, but I'm dying to try the black pepper!