Code of Conduct

Default Sample Vials VS. The Real Thing

I sampled Tom Ford Ford For Men in Nordstroms the other day and it smells nothing like the samples I purchased from an eBay seller a few months ago. The samples are flat, boring and one dimensional. The store tester was absolutely beautiful. The sample had short longevity, poor projection and little transition between the stages. All I get is lemon and that's it. It was this sample which turned me off this scent and decided to give it another shot. The store tester has a much stronger lemon top note, then a smoky tobacco middle, and then at the bottom a sweet luxurious amber. Has anyone else had this problem with samples compared to the bottled fragrance?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample Vials VS. The Real Thing

The samples could have been old or improperly stored.

Maybe the sample you got was a fake. I have 100's of vial samples and from those samples I have gone on to purchase bottles and splits and they smelt the same as the sample.

If it was a normal 1ml dabber/plastic-wand sample then it will smell different. It's amazing how different a scent smells when dabbed on from those vials as opposed to sprayed on. Some scents I prefer dabbed on (Back to Black, Chergui, etc), and others I prefer sprayed, especially those with a lot of bright top notes.

If your sample was of the spraytop variety than I'm not sure. I don't recall ever hearing of Tom Ford batch variations.

Maybe the samples were old, improperly stored, or fakes. The samples were spray vials.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    Maybe the samples were old, improperly stored, or fakes. The samples were spray vials.
    Quite likely.

I've said this a few times now already. I face similar issues with some of my samples.
    Some just smell different than the real thing.

I think its because they get oxidized or something.

But some are intact.

for swap/sale:

I always feel like samples give me a vague idea of the scent. I won't exactly be able to tell what it gives me, but I can't mostly tell how well I'll like it. I always miss a few notes or so in the sample.

hedonist makes a good point, I do think samples can spoil easily, especially the spray top variety.

Last night I noticed the black spraytop on my 1.5ml Amber Oud (by Kilian) sample was wiggling, and with the slightest of nudges the top came off entirely. There is no way that can be airtight, I'm honestly shocked it didn't leak in transit. When I snapped it back on it compressed in and shot out a mega spray, ate up about 1/3rd of the sample. Not sure how tight fitting the spraycap is on the TF (was it an official sample or a decant?) but that could be it. Also, if it was in a plastic atomizer perhaps that had something to do with it? I can't imagine plastic+perfume is a good combination despite seeing plastic atomizers used so commonly amongst decanters.

I sampled Tom Ford Ford For Men in Nordstroms the other day and it smells nothing like the samples I purchased from an eBay seller a few months ago. The samples are flat, boring and one dimensional. The store tester was absolutely beautiful. The sample had short longevity, poor projection and little transition between the stages. All I get is lemon and that's it. It was this sample which turned me off this scent and decided to give it another shot. The store tester has a much stronger lemon top note, then a smoky tobacco middle, and then at the bottom a sweet luxurious amber. Has anyone else had this problem with samples compared to the bottled fragrance?
    Actually I have totally opposite experience.

Banned

I empathize with your frustration. I can't understand why Houses appear quite unconcerned about their samples reflecting their products adequately. After all, the sample, at times, is the prospective customer's first interaction with the scent, and can, indeed, lead to a sale or rejection.

Dependent

I guess the samples werent stored properly like the others mentioned. So far my samples dont smell too far off from the actual bottles.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I tried my sample again ( a different spray vial this time, I received 5) and the same thing happened. Starts off fair,proceeds to a very faint middle, and then disappears in 2-3 hours.

I tried my sample again ( a different spray vial this time, I received 5) and the same thing happened. Starts off fair,proceeds to a very faint middle, and then disappears in 2-3 hours.
    Strange. I usually find the samples are pretty much like the full bottle though if I don't like the sample obviously I don't go any further. I do find a difference between dabbing and splashing a fragrance and spraying. All the Tom Ford official samples seem to be of the spray type, though. I have a sample of Tom Ford for Men and a bottle and they smelled the same.

IMO, dab vials suck and are nothing like the real thing out of the bottle. Small spray vials are much better, but I usually find out of the bottle to be best.

I agree 10000000%. I purchased a sample of Tom Ford Tobacco/vanille on ebay and it was sooo sweet smelled fake. I went to my neighbor who has a bottle and it smelled totally different.. so I returned it to the seller. Last week I went to a big department store and was given a sample and the same thing... the sample smells thick and sweet too much vanilla.... the actual spray bottle is lighter and has more of a tobacco smell.. Maybe the spray changed the dimension? UGHH.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBrat36 View Post
    I agree 10000000%. I purchased a sample of Tom Ford Tobacco/vanille on ebay and it was sooo sweet smelled fake. I went to my neighbor who has a bottle and it smelled totally different.. so I returned it to the seller. Last week I went to a big department store and was given a sample and the same thing... the sample smells thick and sweet too much vanilla.... the actual spray bottle is lighter and has more of a tobacco smell.. Maybe the spray changed the dimension? UGHH.
    I guess its the luck of the draw whenever you get samples from an unknown eBay seller who don't store their fragrances properly. LOL Luckily it wasn't a whole lotta money for the samples. I think I spent maybe $10. Not a big deal. Thank goodness I had a Nordstroms nearby so I could sample the real thing from the bottle.

I have found that spraying vs dabbing a sample fragrance is such a vast difference. Spraying a sample, you get more of the top notes and other subtlties you cant detect from a sample vial. With that in mind,I am a Tom Ford For Men fan once again. LOL
    Last edited by Kingpharroh; 24th December 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: misspelling