Code of Conduct

Default Why are there still so many unopened Joy flaconettes available?

I'm interested in why it's relatively easy to buy "vintage" unopened 7.5 ml bottles of Joy pure perfume - the little black flaconettes with coral red tops. It seems odd that there would still be so much unopened stock when they haven't been produced in ??? years.

Here's my idea: Could it be that US businessmen bought a lot of them on overseas trips in the mid-twentieth century? Maybe a man would be at the airport duty free shop or on an airplane on the way home and realize at the last minute that he forgot to buy something for his wife or mother? He might remember that she liked to wear Joy, or he might forget the name, but recognize the bottle, and buy yet another one, not realizing how long it would take her to use it up. Maybe older women all over the country have had little stashes of them in dresser drawers, and they are just now being discovered by younger family members.

Does anyone here have any idea?

Default Re: Why are there still so many unopened Joy flaconettes available?

The scenarios you lay out are plausible but really hard to know why.

Certainly one possibility. But also,, Joy was very successful in the USA and considered one of the very, if not the very best perfume around (it was advertised as the most expensive perfume and that containing the most expensive ingredients). And perhaps because of the cost, it wasn't always used by people, or was used sparingly.

Whichever the reason, this lets us enjoy some of this marvel.

cacio

Banned

my theory is, becasue i was thinking about it too, that USA people used to buy things when USD was much stronger then it is today, and it was not so expencive to them back then....and people like to hoard things ,mentality thing + strong currency?...wheras europeans used up all their bottles ,so most of vintages you can find in USA of any perfume! not just Joy....

dont get me wrong here please

No offense taken! As an American, I identify with the tendency to hoard things, especially if they are REALLY nice. It kind of goes along with the mentality of not wanting to use your best china and crystal except for the most special occasions, then never getting to use it at all.

I just bought a flaconette that had not been opened (now it has!), but most of the gold lettering has been worn off. It looks like it was sitting on someone's vanity table for a long time, probably lovingly dusted, but either too special to open, or maybe one of several matching bottles.

Banned

Hehe:-) and how does it smell? More roses or more civet jasmine? Or balanced? :-)
    Thats probably true, i spoke to some people about very expensive Homage, and no one could tell how long that 12 ml may last with frequent usage:-) everyone keeps it for special occasion, and to me special occasion is every day:-)

A good vintage Joy will have more everything - more rose, and especially more jasmine and much more civet. (And no - to my nose Joy is on another planet from Homage, especially modern Homage).

cacio

Lots of reasons- hoarding, stockpiling, being gifted it every year by well wishers who don't understand that the recipient doesn't need that much, or doesn't wear/love it as much anymore. I'm more inclined to think of little old ladies hoarding and being frugal with it and sadly not getting the chance to use it all up before they pass into the perfumed heavens above.

Hard to tell. First it was definitely rose, then civet. I might even be allergic to it. Before I had time to tell if I liked it, someone brought a blooming paperwhite narcissus into the office and that smell overwhelmed everything else in the vicinity for the rest of the day.

I'm going to try the Joy again tonight with fewer distractions.

I'm sure the bottle will last at least a year or two, especially since I wear a couple of other fragrances regularly and have about 50 samples I want to try.

I would love to own one. Many years ago, my dad's cousin was talking over dinner about how she received a bottle over Christmas from an acquaintance (nice to have friends with good taste, or acquaintances, as she put it). She really did not like it so she gave it to her maid.

I wished she had asked me first
    Evenstar