Code of Conduct

Default Before I buy something, may I have some advice?

So, I am planning on/thinking about buying the MDCI sample pack (comes with Amber Topkapi, Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin, and two female frags in 12 mL non-spray bottles), but I wanted some advice as to whether this is a smart idea. It's €90 and you can be refunded that exact amount to purchase a fragrance from them which ends up being around $165. I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth the ~$275 investment total (I have the money from X-mas)?
    2. Are the fragrances any good?
    3. Should I bother splashing them on, or should I spend more money on atomizers?

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Before I buy something, may I have some advice?

As for #2 I can only speak about the men's scents - excellent. I'd just as sooner get a bottle of Invasion Barbare and Chypre Palatin rather than the sample pack, unless you're that unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As for #2 I can only speak about the men's scents - excellent. I'd just as sooner get a bottle of Invasion Barbare and Chypre Palatin rather than the sample pack, unless you're that unsure.
    Well the price ends up being the same if you get the sample pack and a fragrance after than if you just get a fragrance alone.

Sound Scents

The scents are all excellent quality, but none have gotten me to pull the trigger on a purchase as yet. I love the bust topped bottles though...

You may want to just get some samples from LuckyScent as it is less of an outlay in case none prove purchase-worthy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The scents are all excellent quality, but none have gotten me to pull the trigger on a purchase as yet. I love the bust topped bottles though...

You may want to just get some samples from LuckyScent as it is less of an outlay in case none prove purchase-worthy.
    I agree.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

If they credit you towards a future bottle purchase then I think your doing it the smartest way possible. I've tried both IB and CP and both are really really nice fragrances. Considering you didn't have to work for the money I'd say splurge a bit. The only real question is are you going for the bust head or not.

- - - Updated - - -

If they credit you towards a future bottle purchase then I think your doing it the smartest way possible. I've tried both IB and CP and both are really really nice fragrances. Considering you didn't have to work for the money I'd say splurge a bit. The only real question is are you going for the bust head or not.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I already know I am not. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks it looks stupid, especially considering it costs $150 more just for that thing. But yes, they credit you back the €90 you spend.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth the ~$275 investment total (I have the money from X-mas)?
    2. Are the fragrances any good?
    3. Should I bother splashing them on, or should I spend more money on atomizers?

Thanks for any advice.
    1. can't speak to that
    2. I've only smelled (and own IB) and totally luv it. It's spendy to be sure, but I think it's a really nice frag.
    3. I think splashing on as opposed to spraying from an atomizer doesn't give the exact same sense, perhaps it's the inconsistency of measurement, but it should be good enough to give you a sense of whether or not you dig the frag.

some unsolicited advice: Set the money aside and think on it for a week, see if a more appealing money spending scenario doesn't present itself.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 6th January 2013 at 01:02 AM.

+1. I really like Chypre Palatin and IB but haven't been compelled to purchase. What if you don't end up liking any of them? Then you'll be out $165, and may feel compelled to purchase a bottle that you don't really want just to recoup some of your money. If your interested in this line, buy some samples from Luckyscent or theperfumeshoppe, that way if you don't like them you're only out around $20.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    +1. I really like Chypre Palatin and IB but haven't been compelled to purchase. What if you don't end up liking any of them? Then you'll be out $165, and may feel compelled to purchase a bottle that you don't really want just to recoup some of your money. If your interested in this line, buy some samples from Luckyscent or theperfumeshoppe, that way if you don't like them you're only out around $20.
    Not out $165. I'd be paying about $110 for the 5 samples, all of which in total are 60mL. So, even if I were to just like a few or one, I wouldn't be losing much. The payback option is just in case you really like something.

Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Not out $165. I'd be paying about $110 for the 5 samples, all of which in total are 60mL. So, even if I were to just like a few or one, I wouldn't be losing much. The payback option is just in case you really like something.
    Sorry, I read your op wrong. Still $110 is a lot of cash to spend on 12ml samples of fragrances you've never smelled, especially considering some of them are female. I think Luckyscent is the way to go.

The scents are all excellent quality, but none have gotten me to pull the trigger on a purchase as yet.
    Exactly.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I tried a sample of IB and judge it FBW so I will buy the sample coffret first before investing in a FB of IB. It's a very personal preference as to whether a purchase of any description is worth the money paid. If you rank it your No. 1 favourite then it's probably 'worth' the cost, otherwise, take your time before deciding. That said $110 doesn't sound expensive for 60ml niche frag?- you can always ask/email to see if they will supply all male frags or gift the female samples as presents? That said, the safest option is to buy small samples first
    Last edited by suds; 7th January 2013 at 06:16 PM.