Code of Conduct

Default Sample difference in smell

So im p new to fragrances, however, i bought a sample of Amen from fragrancex and i thought it smelled awesome, like sweet doughy cookies, as i read someone describe it. so i bought a bigger bottle, same store, and it smelled nothing like the sample, just tar. and it smelled like tar all the way through until the end of the day. very little resemblance to the sample i bought. any reason on why this could happen?

Default Re: Sample difference in smell

Doesn't make sense to me. Should smell like the sample. Perhaps you can return the bottle and try another one.

treeman5823

The sample was most likely damaged from either excess heat, excess light, or excess exposure to oxygen.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    The sample was most likely damaged from either excess heat, excess light, or excess exposure to oxygen.
    That's what I was going to say. Example One million in a clear vial will tend to have a sweeter opening outside of the dark bottle. "I have noticed when sending my samples out."

Basenotes Plus

I've seen this mentioned before by other BN members: Samples are created by spray so the top notes get completely destroyed and the middle notes are damaged as well. If you look at the note pyramid for A*Men, your sample is almost spot on describing strictly the base notes. I think that you got so used to the tar smell, that your brain associated with that the whole day. I'd give that bottle at least a few more tries, maybe the dominant tar scent will go away with more applications.

One of my fragrances had a really strong pepper note to it when I first used it. I was sneezing all day and thought I made a horrible blind buy. As I wore it more, the pepper note almost vanished.

I highly doubt you have a bad bottle. I just think your sample was what you were looking for in the fragrance, and is buried deep in your bottle for now. Just don't give up too soon!

well my first thought was something was damaged, but the sample bottle is not transparent, possibly heat damage...?
    now im not sure what the real Amen smells like. I was actually really happy with the smell of the sample, not so much the bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

mlsweeney

I see, totally understand what you are saying, however, this actually happened a few months ago, still have the empty sample spray vial and bigger bottle. I have worn from the big bottle probably 2 dozen times and im still not getting much of the base notes like I was from the sample. Im trying super hard to like Amen but man its tough despite the awesome sample.

Maybe ill try an experiment and decant some into the sample vial...
    Last edited by Chombo; 23rd December 2012 at 11:34 PM.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I've seen this mentioned before by other BN members: Samples are created by spray so the top notes get completely destroyed and the middle notes are damaged as well.
    This isn't necessarily true; I have smelled many, many samples--all sprayed--and none have had their top and heart notes obliterated.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    This isn't necessarily true; I have smelled many, many samples--all sprayed--and none have had their top and heart notes obliterated.
    I've had much the same experience with samples, both spray and splash.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have never experienced this. Your bottle could be a grey market item that is a bit off. If it is still returnable, I would do so.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Very strange, there shouldn't be such a difference, and while there is some tar in A*Men, there's more gourmandise and coffee. You should probably return the bottle if you can.

Also note that there is now a seasonal flanker called A*Men parfums du cuir, which is supposed to be more leathery (ie tarry). The star in the flanker should be deep yellow, while the star in the normal one should be clearer.

cacio

It's happened to me before.

Smelled a decant then got the bottle and it's different.

I once made a decant by extracting Patchouli Imperial from my own retail bottle for a few ml.
    I'd meant to mail it out but ended up not needing. It sat for a few months next to my retail bottle and then I smelled it one day. It smelled different than the bottle.

This has happened to me with other perfumes Lonestar Memories and others I cannot recall right now.

for swap/sale:

Just occurred to me, could i have been sent an Angel Woman sample, both vials look the same. how do mens differ from womans?

That could be the answer, but one is called A*Men and the other is Angel.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.