Code of Conduct

Default A*Men blind buy.

I was wondering...I've seen over 20 reviews of A*Men and it's simply perfect.
    Longevity 24 hours? My god...

I'm probaby going to buy a bottle by friday. A 30ml to try it out.
    Do you think it's a good blind buy or should I spend my money on something else?
    For the record... I love chocolate-ish smells.

Any of you got experiences with it and intrested in sharing?

Thanks

Sound Scents

Default Re: A*Men blind buy.

Absolutely do not recommend it. It is an extremely polarizing scent and usually you will fall on one end of the spectrum or the other with few folks in-between. I am not saying it is a bad scent or anything, but it really is one you need to sniff first to see if it meshes with your tastes.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I'd go for it. It's a wonderful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherdil View Post
    I was wondering...I've seen over 20 reviews of A*Men and it's simply perfect.
    Longevity 24 hours? My god...

I'm probaby going to buy a bottle by friday. A 30ml to try it out.
    Do you think it's a good blind buy or should I spend my money on something else?
    For the record... I love chocolate-ish smells.

Any of you got experiences with it and intrested in sharing?

Thanks
    It just smells great and women absolutely love it. Go for it! I'm going to buy a huge bottle soon.

What does it smell like?
    Chocolate/Caramel-ish?

Not a safe blind buy at all. I love it, but it is polarizing as drseid said. The drydown is heavenly.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I will echo drseid and mesaboogie in saying that this is a very polarizing scent, especially the opening. I recommend multiple testings of this one first before buying, instead of going in blind. (I say multiple because your opinion of the fragrance might change with a few wearings...I know my opinion did)
    http://soundcloud.com/lovejon

Yea don't blind buy it. I have a couple samples of the womens' versions and they're lovely, but I can't make up my mind. Somehow addictive in a "must smell this again" sort of way but capable of being absolutely sickening in it's projection/sillage...

Heck I misplaced the sweater I was wearing the day I wore it...found it on my couch...and the blankets that had touched it smell like Angel!!!!

Sherdil,
    You don't have any opportunity at all to test it?
    I like it a lot but you didn't include ant info on your tastes or current wardrobe to make a guess.
    Yes it's very tarry, chocolate/mocha and with a patchouli base. It's very potent and warm.

I am probaby going to ask for a tester in my nearest perfume store.
    I'm quite a newbie with perfumes, yes. =D

Nordstroms allows you to make your own testers, or they'll make one for you. And Sephora will make testers for you.

I don't know how many times I've read a description of a scent and said "That will be perfect!" and when I get a sample of it I'm like EWWWWW.....or it gives me a headache or something.

Angel to me is a weird scent....it starts off all pine tree (unusual but I'm not the only one) and somewhere in the middle it turns into "I'm walking on the boardwalk on a warm summer night" and then it's back to pine tree and Christmas again. Such a conflict. I love it.

If you want something really strong, monster projection and silliage. If you like caramel and chocolate smell... I can't see why not blind buy it!!

CologneFan85

Its Love hate, DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS

- - - Updated - - -

Try New Haarlem

try Rochas Man or Jordan Legend. Much cheaper, with similar vibes. Both smell great and lack that tar note. These two are very similar, but Rochas appears to be a little more floral.

You can get Rochas Man for under $30 very easily. You can get a 15ml bottle of Legend for $6 on ebay. Bottle is cheap, but the juice is good.

I don't believe these have the projection and longevity that AMen carries, but I can smell them on myself all day.

Chocolate is not the main vibe of A*Men, so if that's what you have your heart set on, you may be disappointed. There is definitely a choco/vanilla/coffee element, but I would describe A*Men as a patchouli/lavender gourmand.

For something that rings much closer to chocolate, the Michael Jordan Legend suggestion is spot on. You can find it for $12.99/100ml at Ross and it really smells like it costs much, much more. I have worn both, but I don't find that they both serve the same purpose. A*Men is a bit loud and crass but fun. It's the fragrance equivalent to being a little drunk and so you can appropriately wear it to parties and clubs and fun nights out, but not really to work or school or the office (unless you typically show up drunk there as well, in which case, go ahead...). It is the fun guy at the party, but it definitely doesn't smell responsible.

Legend is much more sophisticated - it has a beautiful leather note which supports the coffee and chocolate, and so while it is a gourmand, it is more grown up and less "in your face". This makes it a fun alternative for work or school, as it runs counter to expectations, but it doesn't make a huge show about itself. It is also, as stated earlier, more chocolate-y once the initial bergamot/lavender opening vanishes.

I'd say no.

Love or hate. In my case..love.

Does it smell bad? Not at all. Quite the opposite.

Is it something I want to smell of? No, not at all.

I wouldn't call it safe. As a scent, it's safe. However as a fragrance to be worn I wouldn't say it's a safe buy without trying first.

Gives me an instant migrane off one sniff

bad idea.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I did. Still regret it till this day. Blind bought Pure Malt, loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    Chocolate is not the main vibe of A*Men, so if that's what you have your heart set on, you may be disappointed. There is definitely a choco/vanilla/coffee element, but I would describe A*Men as a patchouli/lavender gourmand.

For something that rings much closer to chocolate, the Michael Jordan Legend suggestion is spot on. You can find it for $12.99/100ml at Ross and it really smells like it costs much, much more. I have worn both, but I don't find that they both serve the same purpose. A*Men is a bit loud and crass but fun. It's the fragrance equivalent to being a little drunk and so you can appropriately wear it to parties and clubs and fun nights out, but not really to work or school or the office (unless you typically show up drunk there as well, in which case, go ahead...). It is the fun guy at the party, but it definitely doesn't smell responsible.

Legend is much more sophisticated - it has a beautiful leather note which supports the coffee and chocolate, and so while it is a gourmand, it is more grown up and less "in your face". This makes it a fun alternative for work or school, as it runs counter to expectations, but it doesn't make a huge show about itself. It is also, as stated earlier, more chocolate-y once the initial bergamot/lavender opening vanishes.
    Well, that comment sent me to my brother's room, where I'd placed the newly-bought Jordan Flight gift set. It is now in my room. ^.^ Wouldn't call it chocolate, unless it's the dry-down you're talking about, which I have not gotten to yet. As an aside, this really smells like a mild version of Axe dark temptation to me; it's definitely nice.

As for A*men, I think I'll personally be blind-buying it for the heck of it. Not to sway you, of course. I think that 24-hour comment is alluding to Tim's review of youtube? Anyone agree that that's how long the smell lasts?

Is there a good combination to layer it with, perhaps?

Try play intense also. It has a similar vibe.