Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got a Sample of CREED Aventus…Pleasantly DISAPPOINTED, anyone else?

I am a huge CREED fan. They are by far my favorite niche house. I have read a lot about the Aventus hype and I was expecting an amazing and unbelievable scent. When I got the sample, I was so disappointed at how weak it was. Don’t get me wrong, Aventus smells nice, but nowhere near the $250 price tag and hype that it’s been getting.

The longevity on it was very poor, after 3-4 hours I couldn’t smell it anymore. Although I’ve read people say they couldn’t smell it themselves but others around them could. Most CREED’s last longer than average on my skin. Has anyone else been disappointed by this scent or am I just crazy? Maybe my nose was off that day. I still have the sample; perhaps I should test it out tomorrow…

Nothing was wrong with the batch, the sample I got was from a tester out of an upscale store.

Default Re: Got a Sample of CREED Aventus…Pleasantly DISAPPOINTED, anyone else?

Give it a few more tries. I was full of expectations the first time I tried it at the store, but was disappointed too. It took awhile for me to appreciate the pineapple and smokey leather combo.

yep smells nice but very weak on my skin too.
    nothing special.
    i like GIT better than this one.

Basenotes Junkie

Had the exact same thing happen to me with an official carded sample. Could barely smell anything, definitly nothing special, just boring. If it's just that I can't smell it on myself and others can, then no thank you. Why would you want a cologne you can't smell on yourself. Oh yeah, because the ladies love it.

Basenotes Plus

It's just an ok scent for me, definitely not among the best the house has to offer.

It's my favorite from the house and it lasts 8-12 hours on me.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by nyhokie View Post
    Give it a few more tries. I was full of expectations the first time I tried it at the store, but was disappointed too. It took awhile for me to appreciate the pineapple and smokey leather combo.
    Sweet, I'll Start tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Had the exact same thing happen to me with an official carded sample. Could barely smell anything, definitly nothing special, just boring. If it's just that I can't smell it on myself and others can, then no thank you. Why would you want a cologne you can't smell on yourself. Oh yeah, because the ladies love it.
    Haha! At least someone is enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It's my favorite from the house and it lasts 8-12 hours on me.
    Whoa, 8-12 is amazing. Definately testing this out tomorrow. BTW, do you get 8-12 all year round or just in the summer?
    Last edited by bugsy; 25th December 2012 at 05:12 AM.

I think Aventus is a wonderful scent.

This. I sampled it once and I was sorely disappointed. Way too smokey for me. A few months later I tried the same exact sample again and I was blown away. Pineapple note became prominent and it really impressed me. I truly feel as though Creeds age and get better over time.

I personally love it, but it's definitely not for everyone. You should, as others have said, give it some study and wear it a few times. At first I didn't really get pineapple, and instead got a lot of smoke and some woods, but after a while I got the pineapple and found it rounded out by some crisp, dry, apple, and some woods and just enough smoke to pull everything together.

Aventus is one of the best IMO.

I was pretty disappointed by it, but in a different way. I get very good longevity, but I have yet to have an issue with that, with any fragrance. The scent itself wasn't mind blowing. I have worn it several times, and I do not love it. I do like it, but hardly ever wear it. I might wear it for a week and see how that goes. I usually just wear it one day and then put it away for a month. Again, you definitely aren't the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's just an ok scent for me, definitely not among the best the house has to offer.
    Ditto.

I personally really don't like it...at all. It is one of my least favorites from Creed that I have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    This. I sampled it once and I was sorely disappointed. Way too smokey for me. A few months later I tried the same exact sample again and I was blown away. Pineapple note became prominent and it really impressed me. I truly feel as though Creeds age and get better over time.
    This. I was incredibly disappointed when I first tried it. All I smelled was smoke. I blind bought from a split. After first wearing, I still didn't get what the fuss was about. I didn't get the pineapple I heard everyone talk about, even though mine was supposedly the "pineapple heavy" batch. Longevity was pretty average 4-5hours?

But after giving it more and more time, I started getting the pineapple, it's not a sweet pineapple but rather a sharp fizzy pineapple. It's very masculine smelling rather than the playful fruity vibe I kinda expected. And the smoke started fading more and more into the background. Even my friends who smell it agree. I don't believe it's because it ages, I think it the nose getting more used to the smell and taking a liking to it. As for longevity, I believe its olfactory fatigue. I couldn't smell it after 2hrs, but after 6hrs and taking a bath, I could still get very slight whiffs of it in bed..

Quote Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
    I couldn't smell it after 2hrs, but after 6hrs and taking a bath, I could still get very slight whiffs of it in bed..
    A lot of people mention this, maybe it's one of those scents that the person gets used to quickly.

For me Aventus is best of CREED (I haven't smelled exclussive line yet). Smoky pineapple really works with my skin, I easily get 8+ hours...

Sound Scents

I don't like the stuff much and would consider it a "weak effort" by Creed. That said, if you mean "weak strength" I think you should re-try as it is definitely not weak in that respect.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Its a pretty great fragrance. It's very smooth and mellow. very relaxing, and everyone loves it on me.

Best longevity of any Creed i have tried or own, absolute.

Diamondflame, the same here; a decent scent but not great on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    I am a huge CREED fan. They are by far my favorite niche house. I have read a lot about the Aventus hype and I was expecting an amazing and unbelievable scent. When I got the sample, I was so disappointed at how weak it was. Don’t get me wrong, Aventus smells nice, but nowhere near the $250 price tag and hype that it’s been getting.

The longevity on it was very poor, after 3-4 hours I couldn’t smell it anymore. Although I’ve read people say they couldn’t smell it themselves but others around them could. Most CREED’s last longer than average on my skin. Has anyone else been disappointed by this scent or am I just crazy? Maybe my nose was off that day. I still have the sample; perhaps I should test it out tomorrow…

Nothing was wrong with the batch, the sample I got was from a tester out of an upscale store.
    You've made a start. now you just need to do 'that batch number thing'!

Sound Scents

Why would you want a cologne you can't smell on yourself. Oh yeah, because the ladies love it.
    Or you can find a scent many "ladies love" that you do too and can actually smell and enjoy. There are so many other choices available that one can easily find a scent that accomplishes both if that is important to you, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

With all the over-hyped love of the scent on BN, many new people are disappointed when they try it. It smells nice, but projection and longevity are poor considering the pricetag. Ladies do seem to like it...It is one of the few that my wife actually compliments me when I wear it, but for that price? Lucky I got a discount or I still wouldn't own it. Surprising how many BN'ers sell their kids into slavery for money to buy a flaccon, name their firstborn Aventus, and generally worship this "elixir of the gods" Makes me wonder if they ever sniffed a "real" parfum...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Banned
    Blog Entries

Keep testing it

I gave up on it after about 5 wears - just does nothing for me

Tested it at Neiman Marcus in Chicago last month. I, my wife, and younger daughter were all quite unimpressed, especially given the high price. Also tried GIT and MI. Same story. And yeah... I did test them on my skin.
    But, lots of guys (and supposedly women) love the Creeds. To each his own.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 26th December 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Guys, you have to remember that the sillage is what others smell and what you smell when you catch a whiff of someone's fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Guys, you have to remember that the sillage is what others smell and what you smell when you catch a whiff of someone's fragrance.
    +1. I used to be a critic of this cause it faded really fast and couldn't smell it and enjoy it, but the "sillage" remains for a while, and later on in the work day still catches people's attention when I am walking by....and this has all been recent for me, late fall months (in the summer should be even better, can't wait).

I get amazing longevity and projection out of aventus. 2 sprays and i'm set. If i spray more people around me will die. I have Y02 batch and I really like the pineapple - smoke -combo.

Same here! It went from average to amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. Aventus went from average to amazing in a few wears.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    +1. I used to be a critic of this cause it faded really fast and couldn't smell it and enjoy it, but the "sillage" remains for a while, and later on in the work day still catches people's attention when I am walking by....and this has all been recent for me, late fall months (in the summer should be even better, can't wait).
    This makes sense! I have only worn it on my hand, I get wiffs of other scents from my neck a lot longer than they last on this NO GOOD wrist of mine. The comments here have made me rethink my next CREED purchase greatly. It was a tossup between Virgin Island Water and Aventus.

Of Creed I love Millesime Imperial, GIT and Silver Mountain Water over Aventus...!

OK I have applied Aventus about 30min ago and I am already getting a different vibe than I did on the first day when I tested it out on my wrist. It's definately a lot stronger than when I initially sprayed it. I am getting way more of the spicy pineapple vibe, which I barely got the first time. I'm also getting a similar sour-ish Virgin Island Water dry down vibe.

It's not overpowering and it is A LOT stronger on the neck than on the wrist.

Basenotes Junkie

Merry Aventmus everybody!

3 hours in and I am still getting promiment wiffs of the spicy pineapple; the pineapple which I didn't get at all during the first test. ANANAventus is proving better in the second time wear than in the first.

Side not - any idea how long until Aventus drops to a discount price of around 160$?

Aventus took me a month before I feel in love with it. I thought it was just average when I first wore it. Then I wore it to a party and got at least 5+ compliments for some reason even though it just continued to smell average to me. 2 weeks later I was amazed at how much I didn't notice how good it smelled. It takes time.

Great for those who smell me, average for myself.

I'm pleasantly pleased.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I absolutely love this fragrance its amazing

8 hours in, still get a wiff but it has toned down. The spray was from a 5ml decant, much weaker than the full bottle atomizer. From what I've got in the test was a non overpowering spicy/Woody pineapple, and pretty linear. It's not as powerful as git or smw, more along the levels of mi. Quite nice! Much better than the first time I've tested it!

I don't like it. Only thing I think it has going for it, and I will give credit to where it is due. I can honestly say this smells like nothing else out there, I think maybe that is why so many like this, because it is not something you would smell at Macy's or Sephora. Everyone does seem to smell like each other to an extent, as so many people are wearing the same frags and i think things tend to get a little over saturated. Unlike the days of the old powerhouse scents that were unique, long lasting, many more to choose from and you didn't have to spend 200 bucks or more to find out that you didn't get the good batch of it

When I first tested Aventus, I wasn't all that impressed. I'm not sure why, but the first few sprays smelled sharply of alcohol, birch tar, not all that much pineapple, and it didn't last all that long. So, my first couple of wearings weren't great. Overall, the composition still smelled pretty good from a short distance, but it wasn't that impressive. Then on my 3rd or 4th wearing, suddenly, the rich, natural, fizzy pineapple opening was there without the "alcohol" smell, the birch was toned down a LOT more, it developed more, and lasted much longer.

I have no idea why this was or what happened, but if I were to have judged it or written it off completely within those first 2-3 wearings, I wouldn't have one of my - and my wife's - favorites right now. The other thing I figured out with Aventus is, that while it does have average to above average longevity on skin, it's an absolute BEAST when sprayed on clothes and will project quite strongly for 24 hours or more this way. I sprayed my neck one morning, and some subsequently got on my shirt collar. That evening, I really couldn't smell it anymore, but I was sitting on the couch, and my wife who was sitting on the other side commented that she could still smell it quite easily and that it smelled really, really good.

So, I'd say give it a chance. Use up the sample since you already have it for a few wearings. It's by no means the holy grail of all fragrances, but it does have pretty broad appeal and is quite wearable/versatile, so I feel it's one of those worth thorough testing. You may still find you don't care for it and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of hyped-up frags I either can't stand, or at least don't care for or see the appeal of.

Blog Entries

Merry Aventmus everybody!
    That is just wrong on so many levels...

It was insulting when they came out with Aventus PRICED HIGHER than the rest of their millesime line, when the ingredients it relies on so heavily are predominantly extremely common and cheap synthetics. While I do enjoy the drydown, it is qualitatively a designer level drydown.

If this isn't the most hyped frag. on BN ever, then it's way up there...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Nice scent? Yes. Disappointed? That too!
    This has become my signature scent for special events and I am yet to receive a damn compliment on it. Don't even get a compliment from my own wife who complimented me right away on Terre D'Hermes the very first day I sported it.

Funny thing I sprayed a Q-tip with Aventus a week ago or so which I keep by my desk here at work and I love the scent it is still projecting. Oh well.....

i spoke with a Creed regional sales rep in an upscale strore some weeks back. The conversation turned to Aventus and I brought up how poor longevity the fragrance has on me ...and to many others out there . Her reaction was not one of surprise or defense of Aventus against such critisizm, but rather a shrug and the comment " well just spray more, I go with at least 5 or 6". That was enough for me to hear that. At the current price of Aventus I expect alot more for my buck.

Summary

Keep testing it

It will change over time

It will change with the season

For me, it is the BEST for men from the House of Creed.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

People need to learn to stop falling for hype - not just the Aventus hype. I'm talking about all hype. I think Aventus is excellent, but just because I think that doesn't mean anyone else should. It just means *I* think it's excellent.

The problem with hype is that it goes beyond people spreading their enthusiastic opinions and evolves into bandwagoning where people rave about something they might not be thrilled with in order to look like they're in the know, or one of the cool kids, or whatever. I remember seeing people post over the top raves about Aventus being the ultimate must own scent that no woman could possibly resist, and then I noticed some of those same people a few months later were selling or trading away their Aventus because it "didn't work." I've also seen some of the same people who swore up and down that they couldn't even smell it later go on the bandwagon hyping it as their favorite smell ever that lasts and lasts and lasts. So many of those who hype are just saying what they think will make them look cool. Sad, but true.

That's the problem with hype. People who want to look cool jump on the bandwagon in order to try to look impressive. There's so much of that with Aventus. That's not to say none of the enthusiasm is genuine. Oh, no. Lots of it is. Like I said, I think Aventus is excellent. I easily get 8 hours of longevity from it, though I have other scents that last much longer. It's one of my favorite scents but it's definitely not my all time favorite and I get much better feedback when wearing others.

But it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what you think. If Aventus isn't for you, that's A-OK. It's not for everyone, and that's a good thing. Having your own tastes and preferences means you're your own person. I can't even imagine how boring life would be if we were all the same.

The trick to getting the most out of a forum like basenotes is to start noticing people whose taste seems to kind of match your own. That makes it easier to ignore the silly hype and discover scents you're more likely to enjoy.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Is Aventus a nice smelling fragrance? Yes
    Is it worth the Creed pricetag? Like every single Creed I have tried, absolutely not.
    Does it live up to the hype? No

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    ...I go with at least 5 or 6". That was enough for me to hear that. At the current price of Aventus I expect alot more for my buck.
    If you were to break this down, it's not very expensive at all. The big creed bottle with the atomizer has 120ml, aproximately 720 sprays. If you were to use this every damn day, at 6 sprays a day, you would run out after 4 months. I highly doubt anyone on basenotes uses one fragrance every day @ 6 sprays/day. It comes down to about $2/day. That bottle will last the average person 1 1/2 - 2 years. At that rate, the $250 price tag becomes peanuts...

Basenotes Junkie

Damn, peanuts are expensive.

Sound Scents

...the $250 price tag becomes peanuts...
    Maybe so to some, but a lot of far superior fragrances, IMO, cost a lot less "peanuts." ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Damn, peanuts are expensive.
    I agree.

It comes down to your own personal tastes. If you smell Aventus and love it enough to pay the number on the price tag, then it's worth it. If you don't enjoy it enough to pay the price, then it isn't. I feel sorry for the ones who get swept up in the hype, but honestly, they should know better. And if they don't, then hopefully after a bad purchase, they learn.

I put a number on what I thought Aventus was worth - to me. I shopped around. When I found a way to get it cheaply enough to hit my price, I bought it. That involved a sale plus ebates plus cash back from my credit card. And now I own a 4oz bottle for around 50% of retail, and I'm glad.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    a lot of far superior fragrances, IMO, cost a lot less "peanuts." ;-)
    EXACTLY. "Superior" is subjective, of course, but if you're looking for something great, you can easily spend a lot less money and still buy something fantastic. It's true if you're buying Aventus or any other scent: use your own nose as a guide. Between your nose and your wallet, it's easy to figure out if something is worth it, or if it isn't.

Got a Sample of CREED Aventus…Pleasantly DISAPPOINTED, anyone else?
    Yep.

As I have been with all but a very small handful (maybe two) of Creed's stuff. They have all been very 'safe', mass-market-friendly scents and nothing noteworthy.

The price and percieved 'exclusivity' of their stuff is what appeals to the jelly-headed snobs out there who think because they are paying a fortune for it they are buying quality.

I especially enjoy the Creed fanclub posts telling everyone how wonderful their stuff is, perhaps in a vain attempt to convince themselves (and others) that they haven't fallen for the hype generated on an internet forum, of all places.

3, 2, 1 ..... the noise of 10,000 heads exploding

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Yep.

As I have been with all but a very small handful (maybe two) of Creed's stuff. They have all been very 'safe', mass-market-friendly scents and nothing noteworthy.

The price and percieved 'exclusivity' of their stuff is what appeals to the jelly-headed snobs out there who think because they are paying a fortune for it they are buying quality.

I especially enjoy the Creed fanclub posts telling everyone how wonderful their stuff is, perhaps in a vain attempt to convince themselves (and others) that they haven't fallen for the hype generated on an internet forum, of all places.

I think snobbery takes on many forms. Those who like things only for their popularity, and also those who want to feel as an elitest that dis on individuals as a whole if they like something that happens to be popular.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Yep.

I have always enjoyed Creed, no more than any other upscale niche. They are not worthy of worship, they are not really better than comparable niche houses, but by golly, they are talked about like if you don't own any you are worthless. I hate the hype and bragging. If you want to fit in, buy a flaccon and brag about it every day on BN. If you want to try it, buy a small sample with an atomizer, and quietly in your own home try it. If you like it great. But if you find yourself jumping on BN to brag about the nuance of pineapple after dry-down of your particular batch...you are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    I think snobbery takes on many forms. Those who like things only for their popularity, and also those who want to feel as an elitest that dis on individuals as a whole if they like something that happens to be popular.
    Absolutely.

I received at the same time samples of Aventus and Bois du Portugal. Aventus left me not-impressed... strange notes of kind of gasoline and pineapple, really not my cup of coffee. Much too fruity to my tastes.

Bois du Portugal, just the opposite. What a incredible, indescribably fine fragrance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Lots of people like it and It is available for far less that $250 if you really want it. If you dont like it thats fine, there are plenty others out there to love.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892