Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Got a Sample of CREED Aventus…Pleasantly DISAPPOINTED, anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Lots of people like it and It is available for far less that $250 if you really want it. If you dont like it thats fine, there are plenty others out there to love.
    where have you found it for far less than $250???

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    where have you found it for far less than $250???
    Wait for a sale at Fragrancenet. Also, sign up for ebates and you'll save a little more. Pay with a credit card that gives cash back and you can take another percent or two off. Even by just using the basenotes code at Fragrancenet, you can buy a 4oz for $209.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

splits.......
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    People need to learn to stop falling for hype - not just the Aventus hype. I'm talking about all hype. I think Aventus is excellent, but just because I think that doesn't mean anyone else should. It just means *I* think it's excellent.

The problem with hype is that it goes beyond people spreading their enthusiastic opinions and evolves into bandwagoning where people rave about something they might not be thrilled with in order to look like they're in the know, or one of the cool kids, or whatever. I remember seeing people post over the top raves about Aventus being the ultimate must own scent that no woman could possibly resist, and then I noticed some of those same people a few months later were selling or trading away their Aventus because it "didn't work." I've also seen some of the same people who swore up and down that they couldn't even smell it later go on the bandwagon hyping it as their favorite smell ever that lasts and lasts and lasts. So many of those who hype are just saying what they think will make them look cool. Sad, but true.

That's the problem with hype. People who want to look cool jump on the bandwagon in order to try to look impressive. There's so much of that with Aventus. That's not to say none of the enthusiasm is genuine. Oh, no. Lots of it is. Like I said, I think Aventus is excellent. I easily get 8 hours of longevity from it, though I have other scents that last much longer. It's one of my favorite scents but it's definitely not my all time favorite and I get much better feedback when wearing others.

But it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what you think. If Aventus isn't for you, that's A-OK. It's not for everyone, and that's a good thing. Having your own tastes and preferences means you're your own person. I can't even imagine how boring life would be if we were all the same.

The trick to getting the most out of a forum like basenotes is to start noticing people whose taste seems to kind of match your own. That makes it easier to ignore the silly hype and discover scents you're more likely to enjoy.
    THANK YOU! And ppl should stop bashing designer frags

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Wait for a sale at Fragrancenet. Also, sign up for ebates and you'll save a little more. Pay with a credit card that gives cash back and you can take another percent or two off. Even by just using the basenotes code at Fragrancenet, you can buy a 4oz for $209.
    Awesome, thanks man. I've heard the name Fragrancenet but I've never actually visited it. I feel like such a rook.

No problem! The only reason I know about it is because somebody here clued me in. Here's another tip: As I said, you can use the keyword "basenotes" on Fragrancenet to save an additional 15% off the listed sale price, but fragrancenet sometimes runs deeper discounts and that can really help you save a bundle. Check this section of the forum here, where people post ongoing sales. And sign up for ebates to get a bit of cash back. And of course, pay using a credit card that gives you some sort of rewards. Hey, every bit helps, right?

That being said... unless you REALLY want to own a Creed bottle, you may be better off buying in on a decant. I don't regret buying a bottle, but looking back on it, I wouldn't have regretted buying in on a decant either. It can be a little cheaper, and you can be sure which batch you're getting ahead of time if you worry about that (at this point, I don't think it matters. All batches these days seem to be consistent).
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Theyre all over the place on ebay and they are legit. Ive purchase a 4oz for under 170 USD. I think the only difference is some Arabic labeling on the box and bottle. Always ask seller for batch, mine turned out a tad bit muskier than the Z01 sample I first tried.

If you were to break this down, it's not very expensive at all. The big creed bottle with the atomizer has 120ml, aproximately 720 sprays. If you were to use this every damn day, at 6 sprays a day, you would run out after 4 months. I highly doubt anyone on basenotes uses one fragrance every day @ 6 sprays/day. It comes down to about $2/day. That bottle will last the average person 1 1/2 - 2 years. At that rate, the $250 price tag becomes peanuts...
    You can't really think about it as a cost over time, but rather as a cost per wearing. 2 dollars a wearing is definitely expensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    splits.......
    Splits are a good and affordable way of buying Aventus or any other offered fragrance.
    Last edited by döfä91; 29th December 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

Tested Aventus at Liberty's and initial impression was blah.
    Nothing ground breaking in my eyes, pleasant, but as is the case more often than not, initial impression didn't live up to the mega hype.

Has to be said, was sampling virtually the whole Creed range and Silver Mountain Water was the only Creed that stood out to me, although I already own GIT which we all accept is a great frag.

Will have to sample this again, I always like to give things a second chance...
    My 'Signatures' (in alphabetical order)...

French Lover - EdP Frederic Malle
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford
    Platinum Egoiste - CHANEL

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it may have been the batch? I remember sampling it at a local mall and I hated it, as it smelled like pure smoke. At the same time, i had blind bought a 30ml split and i absolutely loved it.

What's Aventus?

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    What's Aventus?
    hehe
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the appeal. Creed has a few great ones like GIT, Bois du Portugal, and Baie de Genievre, but nothing in recent years has been all that great and they keep jacking up their prices to give the illusion that they're still at the top of their game. I'm not buying it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were to break this down, it's not very expensive at all. The big creed bottle with the atomizer has 120ml, aproximately 720 sprays. If you were to use this every damn day, at 6 sprays a day, you would run out after 4 months. I highly doubt anyone on basenotes uses one fragrance every day @ 6 sprays/day. It comes down to about $2/day. That bottle will last the average person 1 1/2 - 2 years. At that rate, the $250 price tag becomes peanuts...
    I could go with 5 or so sprays lasting for at least 8 hours.....no problem . But never in the context of reapplying that same number of sprays a few times during the day , as per the suggestion of that SA. Come to think of it , she also brought up how perfumes using all natural ingredients could never compete with synthetic materials for longevity. Could be some truth to that last assertion as I find Black XS l'exces (pineapple note) can manage a whole days wearing with just a couple of sprays. I grant that it is more linear and less involving in complexity to Aventus. Probably as close to Aventus one can get without shelling out the hefty price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy Aventus, especially if you get it from one of the the better batches. But I just can't justify paying so much for it. It's a wonderful casual fragrance, very versatile and unique, but not daring.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The longevity on it was very poor, after 3-4 hours I couldn’t smell it anymore.
    Anything that comes from Creed is poor except the price. I gave them 3 chances and each time it was a huge disappointment.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro