Code of Conduct

Question What's the strongest fragrance from L'Artisan Parfumeur ?

If I wanted to buy a fragrance from this niche house, what would you recommend ?

I care very much about longevity and projection and I've heard that many frags from L'Artisan have poor projection and longevity.
    My skin destroys fragrances quickly. I wear 6 sprays of stuff like Body Kouros and The Dreamer or 7 sprays of the disappointing Chanel Allure.

They have some EDP's and "Extreme" fragrances so, surely, there must be a decent projection/longevity L'Artisan by my standards.
    Also, how bad are these aspects in their classics like Dzing!, Timbuktu, Tea for two or Dzonghka ?

Default Re: What's the strongest fragrance from L'Artisan Parfumeur ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Berghia View Post
    If I wanted to buy a fragrance from this niche house, what would you recommend ?
    Timbuktu
    Traversee Du Bosphore
    Mon Numero 10
    L'Eau Du Caporal

I geat great longevity and throw from L'Eau D'Ambre Extreme and my partner does from Traversee Du Bosphore - but of course the smell is more important...

Timbuktu, Patchouli Patch and Dzing are my favorites!

I have dry skin and tend to eat perfumes too. Timbuktu does pretty well on me, it's quite long lasting and radiant - it may not be particularly loud, but it fills the room with a low hum. I would think the similar Dzongka behaves this way too, but haven't tried. Dzing has ok longevity on me, but it is nowhere near other animalic perfumes like the Montales or Serge Lutens.

cacio

@ cacio - Timbuktu seems very interesting and I will buy it, even if it's without monstrous projection.
    As for Dzing!... that's a classic and must have niche frag.. or at least that's what I got from the reviews.
    Montale, Serge Lutens.. these are houses with extremely strong and lasting offerings, my type, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I geat great longevity and throw from L'Eau D'Ambre Extreme and my partner does from Traversee Du Bosphore - but of course the smell is more important...
    Basnotes reviews state that Ambre Extreme has very good longeivty and projection, so I'll definitely check that one out.
    But what about Al Oudh ? It's an EDP, but is it a strong one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Berghia View Post
    @ cacio - Timbuktu seems very interesting and I will buy it, even if it's without monstrous projection.
    As for Dzing!... that's a classic and must have niche frag.. or at least that's what I got from the reviews.
    Montale, Serge Lutens.. these are houses with extremely strong and lasting offerings, my type, it seems.

Basnotes reviews state that Ambre Extreme has very good longeivty and projection, so I'll definitely check that one out.
    But what about Al Oudh ? It's an EDP, but is it a strong one ?
    Dzing! is very subtle after the initial opening.
    Al Oudh is absolutely wonderful - one of my favourite oud fragrances. It does however settle very delicate and almost powdery, whilst it lasts a long time, it is quite close to the skin.

Blog Entries

I get pretty good performance from Fou d'Absinthe. Timbuktu lasts for me as well.

I get great mileage out of Timbuktu and Havana Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I get great mileage out of Timbuktu and Havana Vanille.
    This. Timbuktu gets close to my skin after a few hours but it lasts 8-12 hours on me, easily.

I have tried many from the line, and I would say I got the best longevity out of L'Eau du Navigateur.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Timbuktu lasts almost 10 hours on my skin and projects fairly well.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Timbuktu lasts forever on me and it getting better in the dry down.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Unfortunately most (especially the older ones) have poor projection. Longevity is there, but without projection what does it matter?

I detect an upward trend in projection from the latest releases like Batucada and Traversee du Bosphore.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Unfortunately most (especially the older ones) have poor projection. Longevity is there, but without projection what does it matter?

I detect an upward trend in projection from the latest releases like Batucada and Traversee du Bosphore.
    Was going to say the same thing.

I have purchased two bottles of L'Eau du Navigateur but not sure what to expect in terms on lobgevity or silage? Perhaps somebody could tell me what their performance is?

For me to buy anything, it of course must smell great but then I don't see the point in smelling great if it doesn't have great projection/silage, so if not good then they go to eBay.

Also, have a bottle of Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, again not sure what to expect! Poor silage and longevity have no room in my wardrobe and could free up cash for more worthwhile purchases.

I get very good longevity from L'Eau du Navigateur. Fou d'Absinthe also lasts pretty well. Timbuktu / Coeur de Vetiver Sacre didn't last so well for me.

As others have mentioned, Timbuktu does very well. Last evening I worse Dzing!, and not only did it project nicely into the evening, but I'm still getting whiffs of it this morning. I'd say that one's no slouch either, at least on me. Nice scent, too.

I have several L'Artisan fragrances, including the four you mention (only a sample of the Dzonghka). My skin also absorbs perfume very quickly, leaving hardly a trace after a very short time. The most successful in the longevity/projection departments, so far, has been Patchouli Patch, followed closely by Voleur des Roses(another patchouli scent). They both last for hours on my skin, and project very well.
    However, if you and patchouli are not good friends, then the next line of candidates I suggest are Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, and Timbuktu. All three are heady oriental perfumes, with varying degrees of incense and spice notes. Timbuktu stands just a bit above the other two, with a beautifully transparent interpretation of an incense unlike any other. I always smile when I apply some Timbuktu to my wrist, because it starts off smelling like the taste of a gum I used to chew as a kid-Thrills. They all last 4-6 hours, but projection seems to drop off after 1 hour.

Dzing is a unique perfume that does not project well for me, but it lasts until the next day. It has an unusual haylike/circus tent scent that evolves over time to a soft floral musk. I find it leans slightly to the feminine side, and smells great on my wife.

I only have a sample of dzonghka, and this is definitely an incense powerhouse. Sadly I do not appreciate the elements of this scent so I don't wear it.

It's not the house of choice in terms of longevity and sillage - you'd obviously be better served by Serge Lutens, Mazzolari or Nasomatto, to name a few. But if you mean to perversely challenge the Gods of scent , Timbuktu is it, I suppose. Not just does it last reasonably well, it's also a great composition AND smells good. That is not something I could (very subjectively) claim for many L'Artisans.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Blog Entries

Timbuktu has my vote.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

L'Eau du Navigateur. I like strong frags and have several L'Artisans. Navigateur is one of those frags i have to wash off after 12+ hours to make it fade. Up close and wearing it, it is very strong but i have a feeling it is not that much of a room-filler, compared with the average powerhouse frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!