Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Noir de Noir or Bond no. 9 West Side

I tried NdN recently and it blew me away. Incredibly sophisticated, dark and mysterious scent that I absolutely love. But I don't think I have the classiness to pull it off.

I'm a t-shirt and jeans very casual but in no way sloppy guy. How I dress is very relevant to the weather. I'm in the military during the weekdays, and during the weekends its just way too hot to bother dressing up. So there are very rare times where the nights are rainy and it's slightly cool, where I just feel I might have the chance to wear sweeter, more daring fragrances that will get cloying in the hot and humid nights.

I heard of Bond no. 9 West Side which is very similar to NdN, just a little lighter. What I'm looking for is not quality, not sophistication, because I'm sure it's hard to beat Tom Ford in that aspect. I'm looking for what suits me and the weather better. I've not tried West Side because I couldn't find it among the Bonds available at the Sephora. But what do you guys think? Should I go for West Side because it's lighter, or is it too feminine and I should go for NdN, despite me being sure I wouldn't feel very right wearing it.

Or, if someone else could suggest to me something similar. I want a fragrance for a special occasion, not so much for everyday wear. I already have plenty for that.

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir de Noir or Bond no. 9 West Side

I would go with NDN. Excellent frag.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would go with NDN.
    This

Basenotes Plus

Between those two, agree with the others, NdN.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Between those two, agree with the others, NdN.
    Another Vote for NDN

Noir de Noir has grown on me over time to the point where I can say that is it one of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever worn. It's a little hard to wear since it's pretty heavy on the rose, but that's what I would vote for.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm with these guys. I'd lean more toward what you know you love.

Another great alternative to Noir de Noir is Tom Ford's newer Café Rose. Worth checking out. Brighter and more rosy, less gourmand. More unisex too, IMO. Maybe somewhere between Egoiste and Noir de Noir. It's a very nifty rose.

Also Armani Privé Rose d'Arabie. Very much like a smoother NdN, without the overt choco stuff.

Both of those should appeal strongly to a lover of NdN (I know, 'cause I've got it). I think you could wear either one in the summer.

And Egoiste might be nice, too! It's classy, ladies love it, and you don't need to dress up for it to smell totally right. Good year round.

CologneFan85

Bond No.9

Noir de Noir took me a few wears to get, but now I can't imagine being without it.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

NdN hands down

I'll check out Cafe Rose. Sounds like something I'll like. I need some input about West Side guys, I might go NdN but I really want to hear the West Side opinions as well

For me, West Side is not similar to NdN. West Side is vanilla-musc dominant with florals in the background.

To me WestSide and Noir de Noir are basically the same except for WestSide drying down to vanilla and clean musk while NdN remain linearly the same. With that said, WestSide does have a more casual, more street festival vibe to it so my pick would be WestSide

On a side note, WestSide was my New Year Eve scent two years ago. I wore jeans, a grey graphic T-shirt with a violet shirt. I went to a countdown party on the street in my city. The weather was about 32 - 35 C. WestSide felt really right for that occasion
    Last edited by jasonx; 26th December 2012 at 06:47 AM.

That's good to hear. Sounds right up my alley because I'm worried that I can't pull NdN off.

I think I won't risk blind buying ever again, I might have to rule West Side out until I can find a sample.

They're both good but I kept Noir de Noir and sold West Side.

how similar is noir de noir to just noir?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFresh View Post
    how similar is noir de noir to just noir?
    Not at all IMO.

Another NdN vote here as well. The Bond never struck me that much. And I personally don't find much comparison between NdN and Cafe Rose. But I will agree that the Cafe Rose is a brighter rendition of Ford's rose note. That being said though, I'd still take the NdN over the Cafe Rose any day of the week. Cafe Rose is pleasant but it doesn't have the same "wow" factor that NdN has for me.

NdN for me!

Noir de Noir for sure. West Side is far too feminine imho.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

My answer is to get both... That way there are no regrets!!!
    G