Code of Conduct

Default Question about Gucci Envy for men

Sooo my grandma who knows I'm a "colognejunkie" gave me a present for Christmas and much to my surprise it was a 100ml bottle of Gucci Envy that she said she found at a garage sale for $1!!! I couldn't hardly believe it when I opened it. Of course she had no idea what she had found or how hard this stuff is to find. She just thought it was another smelly that I might like. Well, I have a 100ml bottle of Gucci Envy already but this bottle she gave me has significantly lighter colored juice which from my understanding is the vintage version. My only problem is the bottle she gave me has the code 0298 which says it was manufactured October 26, 2010 and my bottle with the darker green juice has the code 9212 which was manufactured August 1, 2009. If the bottle she gave me is indeed vintage, why is the manufacture date more recent than the bottle with the dark green juice? Maybe it was stored improperly or maybe its a fake? I sprayed both of them on each wrist and the lighter juice is actually stronger and smells very much like Gucci Envy. Anyone care to weigh in their opinions??

Bottle on the left is the one I got today and the one on the right is the one that I already had.

Also, notice the left hand corners of the bottles. Did that design change as part of the reformulation?
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Default Re: Question about Gucci Envy for men

I have the original release in my collection and my bottle looks like the one with the lighter green contents on the left. Have no explanation as to the confusion with the dates. I personally don't pay attention to dates of manufacture. Nevertheless, if it smells good to you, I don't see any need to be concerned. I'd just enjoy it and give your grandma a big fat kiss!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I agree with Hednic. There could be many reasons for the lighter color, but as long as the frag is good then just enjoy. Thank your grandmother for having a sharp eye at garage sales; only a buck! WoW!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

What I've seen is that bad reformulations often use those kind of almost neon-like colors, but I have no idea here, because I don't like this kind of frag and already have a few that are very similar and hardly ever wear them (such as ST Dupont Signature Pour Homme). If you can't tell then don't worry. If it is indeed a bad reformulation, that's not uncommon in this "industry."

Dependent

According to my research, the lighter color is indeed the vintage juice, which is most definitely better (although I still like the new stuff). SCORE!

The answer to your question is, those cosmetic serial search sites are all full of shit. Instead of saying "we have no clue" they just guess. I recommend ignoring them. Trust your nose . . .

Can't help with your questions, but great score!

I have previously seen both colors in legit Gucci Envy bottles, so, most likely, hardly any reasons to worry, chances being good that both are authentic.

I have the dark green juice, I like it better than the original, it has more incense.
    I cannot believe they discontinued this and Gucci Pour Homme I for garbage like Gucci Guilty. Gucci was sooo much better under Tom Ford than Frida Giannini.

Mine was also light green ....

I would give Aventus for Envy today ...

The left one is the vintage one (better!), the right one is the reformulated one.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Looks just like mine. The cosmetic checkers are wrong a LOT. Don't worry, enjoy it

Blog Entries

Nice score! I have the 50ml bottle with lighter green (2003) given by a friend, it is only about 40% full so I'm saving it. My 100ml bottle (2009) is darker, and it is still almost full. All I can say is I really like them both. Congrats, and enjoy your Envy!

I would go by the production code. There was a period from ~2007-2009 where Gucci kept changing the color of Envy's juice and Gucci pour homme I's juice with each production batch. It went from neon green-blue, to pine green to lighter green and back again. Crazy.

The one on the left is precisely the same color as my bottle from 2003.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

My bottle was the lighter colored one...if it smells legit, it's legit. Fakes never smell legit for more than minute or so.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Great deal man! Your Grandma Rocks!

Basenotes Plus

You have a wonderful grandmother - give her a hug and thank her, again!

As several fellow Basenoters pointed out, both are legit and authentic bottles. Typically (and neal covers the discrepancies well with batches being of different colors) - earlier Gucci Envy was the lighter green-tinged, yellow juice. It has more depth in the base notes typically. I have some and that opinion holds true - lighter top notes (but, by no means faded or quiet - just a direct and relative comparison), a warm heart and a very nice dry down (with very good longevity). The brighter green juice I have has more top notes, specifically ginger, citrus, sharper lavender and deeper spices. The heart is still very good, but due to the louder top, it has a bit lighter feel (although we are talking about subtleties here) and the drydown comes in nicely - but again, the base notes are not quite as long-lasting (however, wonderful Gucci Envy...nonetheless). Still, great oriental notes of incense, sandalwood, vanilla and amber - just a bit more in the older juice.

Your dates are a reversal of what is typical not from bottles made in 2009 and 2010, but early release and later production bottles. It was released back in 1998 and I had an early bottle. It was fantastic juice that really had a special place in my wardrobe. I came back to it in the last couple of years, just before it was discontinued and managed to get both some earlier juice and the more recent, brighter green. To me, if you find a difference (more base notes and later, more top notes) - I have found the best wearings to be a few sprays of each...layered.

A point to make - I typically wear one or the other without much thought or regard to which formulation it is and then layer the other to round it out (if I so choose or decide to layer the wearing or extend it). However, each has something a bit different to offer. Either is excellent and a great bottle of highly sought-after (discontinued) juice. I don't contemplate or over-think "which" bottling I want. Both are excellent.

Gucci Envy, with its price on the open market of Ebay soaring into the stratosphere, is a landmark composition. It will hold a place in male fragrance history as an iconic designer bottling by Gucci under the direction of Tom Ford...enjoy.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 27th December 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I have a 5ml miniature which is the same lighter colour as the bottle on the left.
    Also I have two 50ml bottles of aftershave which are also pretty much the same lighter colour.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    It has more depth in the base notes typically. I have some and that opinion holds true - lighter top notes (but, by no means faded or quiet - just a direct and relative comparison), a warm heart and a very nice dry down (with very good longevity). The brighter green juice I have has more top notes, specifically ginger, citrus, sharper lavender and deeper spices. The heart is still very good, but due to the louder top, it has a bit lighter feel (although we are talking about subtleties here) and the drydown comes in nicely - but again, the base notes are not quite as long-lasting (however, wonderful Gucci Envy...nonetheless). Still, great oriental notes of incense, sandalwood, vanilla and amber - just a bit more in the older juice.
    I agree with your assessments, but I would add that an ingredient seems to be completely missing from the bright green stuff. Something is missing from the very start -- perhaps a heart accord, or perhaps some real sandalwood. It just feels like one element is totally gone. So it's a bit empty, not as sumptuous and immediately addictive as the old stuff. I'll never forget getting a sample from a BNer of the vintage, before I'd ever tried it. It had leaked just a drop or so in transit, and I was dying to figure what was making the package smell so dang good. Of course, it was the last vial I opened. I'll admit I was slightly disappointed when I received my tester bottle of the new stuff. Still very good though.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. I may just layer the two like ericrico suggested. Proud to own both formulations of this great juice.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Basenotes Member

Recently I pick up a bottle of Envy for a friend, I was a little bit surprised because instead of the green or yellow one, this juice was brownish ( in the middle). it smells legit. Can time change color that much?

The wrong storage/stock conditions do change the color of the perfume (heat, light, sunlight) as well as changes of temperature. Maybe someone other can tell does the time alone change the color?
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dependent

Yes the color of juice often darkens over time. You could have an especially old bottle (15 years!).

Basenotes Plus

Yes, this is correct...as long as it smells fine, don't worry about it. Personally, if I were you, I would use this juice first (if I was to put a bottle into my rotation).

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Yes the color of juice often darkens over time. You could have an especially old bottle (15 years!).
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Colouring can darken over time; I believe there was a thread here with similar issues regarding Creed's Windsor.

Default Anyone still interested in purchasing Gucci Envy for Men 100ml EDT spray?

Hey Guys, If anyone still interested in Gucci Envy for Men 100ml EDT spray then I have 2 bottles. Thanks.

i don't mean to grave dig. But i'm out of Envy completely. I went poking around ebay and came across a couple bottles with an atomizer like i havent seen. Definitely doesnt look my bottle.

Anyone know what the deal is? Fake?

check the production code at the bottom, but that atomizer looks fake lol

I'm pretty sure this is a fake, never seen such an atomizer on an Envy-bottle.

i knew it. theres actually a few that look like this on ebay.

Ebay is really a dark alley sometimes.

Just picked up the ecko green envy production code sep. 2007 from a little kiosk in the mall. I would have preferred the vintage, but 50 bucks for 1.7 oz. I'm not gonna complain.

Im going to buy it tomorrow, whichever version, i'll try to enjoy it as much as I can.

I've been reading your comments and just wanted to let you know that I have 2 bottles (100ml EDT spray) left in my warehouse. These were testers that came from Gucci where we ordered a large quantity .... I'm in fragrance wholesaling. These are 100% genuine so if you're interested then contact me. Thanks.

A year-plus on, this thread is still useful. Won a 50ml bottle of (what I hoped was vintage) Gucci Envy for Men off eBay this weekend. It arrived today, and looks to be the older, yellow-green juice rather than the bright neon version. Haven't sprayed yet (waiting to get home from work), but even sniffing around the nozzle it's very recognizably Envy.

I never knew this one when it was out, and only smelled Envy for the first time a few weeks ago after ordering a mini. First try, seemed just okay. First proper full-day wear, and all day I thought, damn, I smell good. Oooh this is nice. Et cetera. Suffice to say, I'm very happy to have nabbed a proper bottle.

A fantastic fragrance. Always an enjoyable wear!

Great scent. Ran into a lil under half filled tester at a kiosk in the mall this past weekend that they wanted $70 for. yea its not that good..

Basenotes Member

Using my 99% full 50ml sparingly as I don't plan on spending upwards of $100 on another one. Actually I was fortunate to get mine for $90 on Ebay. I remember when I saw this at Perfumania 3 years ago whenI was first getting into frags. I smelt it, and thanks to my immature nose at the time, I passed on it. Little did I know it was being discontinued and I could have had a 100ml at a remarkable price. Oh well whats done is done and I am happy to now have it as part of my collection.
    Current Top 7:
    1. Dior Fahrenheit
    2. Dior Homme Intense
    3. Creed GIT
    4. Bond. 9 New Harlem
    5. Gucci Envy
    6. Pure Havane
    7. Pure Malt