Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default how many samples until you get a headache

i'm just curious, when you go to stores or boutiques, how many samples can you tolerate before your head or hose starts to hurt?

Default Re: how many samples until you get a headache

Some days I can smell 8-10 with little 'fresh air' breaks in between. Other days I can't tell fragrances apart after the 4th sample. I think it depends very much on the breaks you give yourself and the type of fragrance you smell. I remember the day Tobacco Vanille shut down my nose for an entire day. *shudders*

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me about 5 before I get fatigued.

I get fatigued after about the fourth one.

CologneFan85

It does not matter in my case

My GF who sales perfumes/colognes says her headaches are common now from being around them so much. But its more of them being "mixed". Not individual scents.

I never get headaches (unless I am ill) but I tend to nose-out after about 10 scents.
    "...put on clothes that are well-scented with incense. Even if you’re somewhere where no one special will see you, you still feel a heady sense of pleasure inside." Things that make your heart beat fast (translated by Meredith McKinney), Sei Shonagon. The Pillow Book.

"The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

On a good day, I can smell 20-30 scents without fatigue in the usual sense. I can still clearly distinguish them, the problem is that when I start to sniff so many scents it seems to mess w/ my nervous system much like excessive caffeine. I feel jittery, almost manic, and can't sleep for hours.

On bad days, maybe 5-6 scents max. Not sure what causes 'bad days' outside of poor sleep. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

hmm. I've noticed from my sample hauls that I'll get sick of frags after 4-5 consecutive samples. I've learned to not over do it because for some reason if I smell too many in a day it almost leaves a lasting negative impression on those fragrances from that point on.

Banned
    Blog Entries

looks like im normal

I dun get headaches, but my nose does go 'out-of-order' momentarily after 4 samples.

No headaches so far from fragrance sampling/testing, yet as soon as I exceed the 10 different scents mark, I definitely get olfactory fatigue and can hardly tell not even the most obvious, strong, even overpowering notes and/or scents apart.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

4-5 samples are about my max, too. Interesting that I had the same experience as Diamondflame with the Tobacco Vanille.

Sometimes only one. If it's really strong and - to me - horrible! Generally, four or five is a good number for me to remember and compare.

Dependent

I have not yet found a head pain limit for smelling fragrances.

If my "hose" hurts, it has never been from smelling fragrances either.

I haven't noticed any particular limit here. I won't get a headache from any number of fragrances, but I could from any particular single fragrance.

I don't get headaches either, but I can do 4 or 5 before I no longer trust myself to distinguish them properly and make any good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I don't get headaches either, but I can do 4 or 5 before I no longer trust myself to distinguish them properly and make any good decisions.
    much the same for me too. I do find some times I cannot smell anything to start with. Not sure why, but I will try again after some time and find I can smell with great clarity. I do not find any value in coffee beans. Especially the more expereinced I get. I just try to smell only scents I know a little about and what to expect prior to smelling it. I am not interested in smelling anything and everything the SA is trying to push that day.

Usually around 10 to 15.

Depends on how poor some are in regards to ingredient quality. I find cheap ingredients instantly give me a headache.
    for swap/sale: