Code of Conduct

Default Recommend me a fragra similar to.....

Just acquired Lutens' Chergui and Ambre Sultan and I absulutely love how dense, rich and sweet they are, even more so than LIDGE which was the king of my frag collection in terms of these qualities. What other frags (without going into Amouage price territory) give such a quality syrupy sweet vibe? Suggestions would be appreciated

Default Re: Recommend me a fragra similar to.....

Serge Lutens is indeed the master of the style. Among the many possibilities, I'd single out Bois vanille (woods, vanilla, dough) and Jeux de Peau (caramel immortelle, with a striking top note of buttered toast).

Outside of SL, I think you could check perfumes based on immortelle, which has a sweet-burnt sugar aspect. Examples are Goutal Sables (straightforward immortelle plus amber), the more expensive Histoires de Parfums 1740 or Tubereuse la Animale, or the cheaper Occitane Immortelle de Corse (regrettably discontinued, but perhaps you can still find it here and there).

cacio

Immortelle is a good idea, being one of those wall-of-sound ingredients. I love that sort of thing, too, Jimmysmellworld. The obvious thing is to keep trying Lutens. Good next ones to try might be Fumerie Turque and Chene, both of which have the density you're describing. Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain has a similar density, as does his Lonestar Memories and a number of his other things. And have you ever tried Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue? A wonderful iris confection.
    Pardon me if this is painfully obvious, but Serge Lutens primarily composes 'oriental' style perfumes, and so if you haven't done a BN search and read a bit about orientals, you might enjoy that.
    La Via del Profumo also does some good stuff with spices and tobacco. Their Balsamo della Mecca would be just your kind of thing.
    Also, you might check out the Perfume Shrine articles on "Resinous and Balsamic" frags and check out others in her thematic series that have to do with spices and other heavy materials.
    Parfums de Nicolai also does some nice work in this style. Her Maharadjah is a very dense patch/cinnamon/lavender/sandalwood. New York, while not quite as dense, is a great masculine that straddles the line between chypre and oriental.
    Good luck! And let us know what you find!
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 26th December 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions guys!

Check out Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums. I also have the two Lutens you mentioned and I think Ambre 114 is definitely a contender.
    Randall

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    Check out Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums.
    Very good suggestion.