Code of Conduct

Default What is the longevity of Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver like?

Greetings.

Lately I have been craving anise, powder, and almond. Rather specific, I know. I smelled L'Heure Bleue last year, and found the anise too much; yet I have not been able to forget it. And then I encountered it again (star anise) in 1725, but found the vanilla a little syrupy - however, its almond seemed terribly attractive. Now I muse that almond may in fact be an excellent replacement for vanilla, for it shares some of its milkiness, but is far drier. Anise, on the other hand, is a little stand-offish and angular. As for powder, I am fond of its suggestion of artifice. I think of the 18th-century, wigs, powder, etc; just a personal set of associations.

When I stumbled on the reviews for L'Eau d'Hiver, I was delighted to think that a fragrance may exist that could satisfy each of these cravings. It may very well be a viable purchase for me. I mean to test it in a few days, and give it a few hours. If I like it, I mean to buy it then and there. But (given the expense of this fragrance) I am torn between the travel size and the full bottle. Does it endure as a skin scent for a fair amount of time? If it does, I would prefer the full bottle; but if it is a fleeting affair of a few hours, I would opt for the portable vials. As I shall only be testing it once, any advice on this point would be much appreciated.

Default Re: What is the longevity of Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver like?

In my experience it persists for quite a while, even though it's sort of a skin scent.

Really, one of my very favorite things, with the milky-almond vibe to it that you mention.

Certainly worth a test, as it's different than many other fragrances. Quite comforting in nature, and a safe bet to wear in many different circumstances.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

I personally get great longevity with it.

I find longevity to me average to pretty good, and it is indeed a skin scent.
    Currently wearing: Oro by Roberto Cavalli

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the above posts - average sillage, above average longevity, from about 5-6 sprays.

IMO, it is a modern version of Apres l'Ondee and a more fully realized version of Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior.

If I had to choose one, it'd be the Guerlain, but the Malle is fantastic and I imagine you'll love it as soon as you spray it on. Please do report back once you've tested it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...I imagine you'll love it as soon as you spray it on.
    It really is that sort of thing : You'll know if you like or not it right away.

I don't buy many BFs, but I do have this, and then got a bottle for my sister for Xmas.

I found it to be an all day scent. Re-applying during the day is not needed.

I just bought another bottle - it lasts thru the day at a comfortably discreet level, good stuff.