Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A question on using ambergris?

Hi everyone!, so I m making perfume for the first time and I am inspired by your (basenoters) threads on ambergris. So I just ordered ambergris 1% tincture from perfumers apprentice.

I am very excited to create a indian sandalwood ambergris blend but I have just came to the conclusion that I have no idea of what % of ambergris 1% tincture to use in perfumers alcohol?

Any advice would be very helpful, Thanks!

Default Re: A question on using ambergris?

Best would be to check with Chris Bartlett and Mumsy. They both work with it in their scents.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckyrory View Post
    Hi everyone!, so I m making perfume for the first time and I am inspired by your (basenoters) threads on ambergris. So I just ordered ambergris 1% tincture from perfumers apprentice.

I am very excited to create a indian sandalwood ambergris blend but I have just came to the conclusion that I have no idea of what % of ambergris 1% tincture to use in perfumers alcohol?

Any advice would be very helpful, Thanks!
    It depends on the effect you are trying to create: if what you want is an enhanced sandalwood effect then start with 1% - add more only if you feel it lacks impact.

If what you want is ambergris and sandalwood with the animalic and marine notes of the ambergris clearly 'visible' in the blend then you are going to need a much higher proportion - possibly as high as 30% - which makes for a very expensive blend.

Either way, try it out on the smallest scale you can measure to begin with so that you can find out whether you like the result without wasting too much expensive material.

Hope that helps.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris! that is excellent advice that I will use!! and thanks for all of your other posts and website, I sure did learn ALOT!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. I should also have said I think the "enhanced sandalwood" effect is really lovely - you can also get that with synthetic ambergris (ambroxan/ambrofix/ambox dl/cetalox), when you need only 0.1%

However to get the full effect with synthetics you'll need either lots of other ingredients or an oliffac (full recreation) of ambergris, as the classic chemicals are not enough alone.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!, that really sounds like ecstasy. Sandalwood is just incredible to me and just the idea of enhancing it boggles my mind... I don't think I can even compare another scent to Indian sandalwood. (with my limited nose) I am really looking forward to this art

Now I regret not getting express shipping lol

Thanks again Chris!!