Code of Conduct

Default Any perfumers with bad noses?

I have chronic sinusitis which causes me to be completely blocked on one side or the other every day. There hasn't been a day, at least in the last 10 years or so, in which I was able to breathe freely through both nostrils.

This causes me to have post nasal drip and lots of sinus pressure. I can still smell things but I know I am unable to smell with the same keenness that other non-sinus suffers are. I probably cannot detected the nuances of a fragrance the same way many of you can.

Are there any other fragrances lovers or perfumers that are dealing with bad sinus blockage? Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have tried nettie pots, alkalol, and a host of other things to alleviate my symptoms but all to no avail.

Default Re: Any perfumers with bad noses?

Ouch! Your ENT doctor didn't come up with any solution? How about the allergologist?

When I have allergy, over the counter medications work very well to block rhinitis (the regular ones, not things like zyrtex or the like, which work only with selected allergies), but I don't think they work with sinusitis, plus, they're really temporary palliatives.

cacio

The solution for him is to have an operation. I think he has a deviated septum.

I know someone who uses Nasonex twice a day. Helps reduce inflammation but cannot, obviously, rectify the problem. An operation is a must.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    I have chronic sinusitis which causes me to be completely blocked on one side or the other every day. There hasn't been a day, at least in the last 10 years or so, in which I was able to breathe freely through both nostrils.

This causes me to have post nasal drip and lots of sinus pressure. I can still smell things but I know I am unable to smell with the same keenness that other non-sinus suffers are. I probably cannot detected the nuances of a fragrance the same way many of you can.

Are there any other fragrances lovers or perfumers that are dealing with bad sinus blockage? Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have tried nettie pots, alkalol, and a host of other things to alleviate my symptoms but all to no avail.
    Do you know what causes the inflammation? I have allergies to just about everything airborne such as dust, mold, pollen, etc. I try to stay away from cigarette smoke, and I limit my intake of dairy products. Also, I've been through allergy shots, and I take OTC allergy medicine like Allegra or Zyrtec when I'm absolutely desperate. I often see an acupuncturist when I think it will help. You have my sympathy for sure. Oh yeah, Breathe Right strips are very helpful for sleeping. In the wintertime, I run a humidifier to counteract the dry air in my house, and in the spring I run a dehumidifier for the rising humidity. A/C in the summer.

I think i got the same problem (only 1 nosetril). Probably going to get it operated in few years or so.
    I don't think it affects the way I perceive smells. I am anosmic to most of the synthetic musks like Galaxolid, Cosmone - but i don't think it's the reason.
    The operation is mostly to improve my sleeping at night.

Hi, this is my first post on Basenotes; I've been hanging around for a few months now and decided to join when I saw your post about your sinuses.

I have checked your profile and I'm not surprised to see that you are 25; all through my twenties I was plagued with terrible sinusitis, awful facial pain, post-nasal drip, bad breath, it was hell. You'll be pleased to know that by my thirties it had gone away of its own accord - I don't know whether the slow (and painful) emergence of my wisdom teeth had anything to do with it but I wouldn't be surprised. One thing I did learn is that vigorous nose-blowing is a bad idea because it forces mucus up into the sinus cavities. To put it as delicately as possible I find nowadays that a gentle blow after washing my face works well because water loosens the dried mucus in your nasal passages. It goes without saying that the habits of rubbing your eyes and picking your nose are BAD because you will be infecting your upper respiratory tract with viruses and you will suffer frequent colds. Eliminate colds and you will reduce the amount of mucus, which will give your sinuses a chance to drain.

Hope this helps!

It is often thought that eating bananas encourages the production of mucus, also cut down on dairy. Just for a start anyway.

It sounds to me like you need to begin at the beginning and analyse what you are putting into yourself first before treating the results. Have a general look at your whole self, your diet, your habits, where you live, what you are sleeping in/on, what kind of fabrics you wear etc etc. If the seasons have any bearing. Keep a diary for noting any severe reactions and what preceded them. The story will probably tell itself.

A holistic approach may well have an extremely beneficial result if medicines offer no cure. If you need guidance, there may well be a practitioner near you to help. It only needs adjusting gradually, not all at once. There are loads of things you can do for yourself. Unless of course you have done this route already. I hope the suggestion helps.

If sinuses are being very naughty, a rinse with warm water mixed with a small tsp of salts (sodium chloride & sodium bicarbonate) can be very helpful.