Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 57 of 57
  1. #1

    Default An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I tested Pure Havane EDT and Midnight Poison EDP from The Bay earlier this afternoon. PH on my left wrist while MP on my right. About 30minutes later, when I told the cashier/sales clerk that I sprayed MP on myself (I had already purchased Pure Havane by this time), she gave me the "look" (shocked, weird, dumbfounded look, you know what I mean) and gave me a lecture about MP being marketed for women only and how female perfumes react much more better on women instead on men. I then replied that yes they most likely do, but EDPs' concentration is a whole lot better than EDTs, and then asked her on what she thinks about the rose in MP. She looked like she was getting annoyed and told me how MP is a feminine scent and all that. I countered with asking "Because of the rose? Lots of male perfumes have flowers in them." She tried to compose herself and referred other Dior scents like Eau Sauvage, in which I said, "yeah it has a rose and jasmine too). She pretty much got fed up after that and told me that she'll never recommend a female fragrance on men. I didn't wanna push my luck (she looked really annoyed) so I left.

    Moral of my story is: I should've lied and said that MP was for a friend LOL.

    Or ask for a refund for Pure Havane and bought Midnight Poison EDP 100mL instead. *sigh*

  2. #2
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,201
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Some people have a hard time thinking outside their limited concepts. Sad when it's a sales associate, though.


  3. #3

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I know, eh. If she had chosen to go with Midnight Poison (which is more expensive; $90 50mL, $122 100mL) than Pure Havane ($94), I would've bought the MP 100 mL ASAP. I won't be buying any fragrances in that branch for awhile.

  4. #4

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I cannot understand what kind of clerk you have found!!!

    Maybe not too much experienced so it would be easy to have found at least once a man who intended to buy a femenine fragrance for him!!!

    Do not why but I know any men who like roses & jasmine as notes on their perfumes to wear, so why not if forind at femenine scents????...also cannot understand these labels that conditions our elections & decisions.
    Never do feel ashamed if you laike any femenine scent, or lie about who is for. I use to wear masculine (very supossed male scents) and I do not feel bad or worried about anyone thinks about!!!

    enjoy your perfumes and do not let anyone to label them and 'label' you because of wearing them !!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I find many more odd reactions than accepting ones when I go fragrance shopping and check out unisex, womens or niche fragrances but unfortunately it's to be expected in Australia. Don't let an ignorant person put you off enjoying your hobby.

  6. #6

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Don't let an ignorant person put you off enjoying your hobby.
    Amen!

    I often wear masculine scents and so far I've been fortunate enough not to get idiotic comments from people who can't deal with smelling masculines on a woman. Whether it's men's shirts on women, or black eyeliner on men, there's so much fun to be had in borrowing from each other... it makes me feel sorry for the morons who can't see past the marketing (which is so often misrepresentative anyway).

    Enjoy your perfume Galizur!

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,897

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Galizur View Post
    I tested Pure Havane EDT and Midnight Poison EDP from The Bay earlier this afternoon. PH on my left wrist while MP on my right. About 30minutes later, when I told the cashier/sales clerk that I sprayed MP on myself (I had already purchased Pure Havane by this time), she gave me the "look" (shocked, weird, dumbfounded look, you know what I mean) and gave me a lecture about MP being marketed for women only and how female perfumes react much more better on women instead on men. I then replied that yes they most likely do, but EDPs' concentration is a whole lot better than EDTs, and then asked her on what she thinks about the rose in MP. She looked like she was getting annoyed and told me how MP is a feminine scent and all that. I countered with asking "Because of the rose? Lots of male perfumes have flowers in them." She tried to compose herself and referred other Dior scents like Eau Sauvage, in which I said, "yeah it has a rose and jasmine too). She pretty much got fed up after that and told me that she'll never recommend a female fragrance on men. I didn't wanna push my luck (she looked really annoyed) so I left.

    Moral of my story is: I should've lied and said that MP was for a friend LOL.

    Or ask for a refund for Pure Havane and bought Midnight Poison EDP 100mL instead. *sigh*
    Did you like the Pure Havane you wound up buying? You got a good one there.

  8. #8

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I wonder what she thinks about dior HOMME

    On a side note, why do you need a sale assistant's approval to buy midnight poison which you obviously liked?

  9. #9

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    You should have said this...


  10. #10

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I blame brain washing or staff training by the companies as its officially called.
    They get the sales staff in rooms and begin the brain washing.

    This is ............. fill in the latest release from said company. You must push it at all costs. No matter what the customer wants or asks, you must push XXXXXX.

    Do not deviate from your brain washing or your head will explode.

    There are two sexes, female and male in perfume. Never ever cross the line from your sex or your head will explode. Warn all customers of this(it costs money to clean up after the head exploding).

    Think of 99.9% of perfume sa's as Stepford Wives. Do not engage them in conversation about anything outside their brain washing or they will have to be returned to the factory for a reboot.
    DONNA

  11. #11

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Galizur, I think you did a great job at handling that situation. Kudo's to you. That SA is a jerk and it does not surprise me that this happened at The Bay.

    I actually checked out Pure Havane out there last week. I just find the price to much for what it is ( I get no tobacco, I don't care if they call it Pure Havane). But if you like it, thats what counts. I have only sampled Midnight Poison once, and just did not get the rose that others seem to get. I hope to try it again.

    Anways, keep at 'er. Next time, give 'em hell
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  12. #12
    Robin-in-FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South of the South of the U.S.
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I have a saying when I am selling things: Do Not Get In the Way. If you want to buy what I am selling, I want to sell it to you. What the heck kind of salesperson DISCOURAGES someone from buying something? I have sold girly hairclips to men, and Avon deodorants with female scents to men, why in the world would I care who was buying these?

    Did she even smell it on you? I mean if someone really STANK in something I might gently point them toward something else, I will advise on styles and so on, but certainly wouldn't discourage someone if they knew what they wanted.

    That is kind of crazy.

  13. #13

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. XD

    Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I wonder what she thinks about dior HOMME

    On a side note, why do you need a sale assistant's approval to buy midnight poison which you obviously liked?
    Dior Homme did not come to mind at the time of the argument because they haven't had any in stock at the time.

    Story time again lol:

    During the time I sprayed MP on my wrist, the Dior clerk (young female Asian) asked me if I'm shopping for a lady and I told the truth and said "For me", LOL. She gave me a fast weird look and recommended to me their Dior fragrances in the Men's Fragrances section (The Bay's fragrances section that I went into is really small; not as big as the boutiques in downtown Toronto. From the left is Men's Fragrances, Middle is Women's, and the right is Dior boutique, and the others surrounding it sell cosmetics.... In case you guys are wondering.) by naming each Dior Men fragrances in their store. Fahrenheit was her first recommendation, in which I immediately replied "My winter scent (one of them anyway XD ). Second was Eau Sauvage; I replied, "I smell like an old man" (I don't really, but the first whiff makes me uncomfortable/cringe). Then the last was Dior Homme Sport, which she thinks is best for me (probably cuz I was wearing a spring jacket... in 0 C degrees of all days LOL) but she said they were sold out, and I them added "Yeah I know, I bought the last one here." She might not have heard me correctly cuz she reiterated that Dior Homme Sport suits me (is it because of the ginger notes there and me being Asian LOLOL?). I just said "Uh OK" and left the Bay to kill time in the mall, so that I can see if I really like the hearts of Pure Havane and Midnight Poison.

    The SA clerk's approval question:

    I wasn't really asking for her approval but I just wanted to know what she - as a woman and a sales clerk - thinks of MP personally on me.

    Should've sprayed more MP on my wrist then, but I was afraid that MP's scent and sillage would overpower Pure Havane's. I might've gotten the same reaction, but having a longer longevity of MP on my skin would've been awesome to end the day.

    @hednic

    Yeah I like the honey sweetness of PH. Wearing it now actually on cool, windy, and rainy weather, while I walked out to buy soy milk in the nearby grocery store. I think I killed PH's sillage doing so but oh well LOL.
    Last edited by Galizur; 16th April 2011 at 11:21 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    My selling motto: "If you like it, I love it!!"
    I hope you got what you wanted, aside from the opinion of the sales clerk (who was clearly narrow-minded and her paycheck doubtless reflects that).
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

  15. #15

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Wait, so she thinks perfumes "react" differently on males vs. females?

    Where do they come up with these ideas? SAs have such active imaginations.

  16. #16

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Whenever an SA asks, "Are you buying this for yourself or someone else?" I know I'm in trouble. That's when I remember something someone once said about being interrogated by Soviet officials -- the best thing to do is to say nothing at all, ever. Nothing good ever comes out of engaging people like that in any sort of discussion or argument. The best thing to do is smile and walk away. After all, you're the one with the money.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,759

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Galizure,Are you happy with your Pure havane? Hope so.
    In your post you mention several times the SA "looked really annoyed". I assure you- it had nothing to do with you. The only thing she was really annoyed at was that she might actually have to do some work at her minimum wage job.

    Say this to yourself: I know more about scents than the SAs at the Bay. The only opinion that matters about what I like is my own.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  18. #18

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Man on man. I would have had a hay-day. lol. I would have given her a history lesson ahah.. Which Bay were you at? If it's on in Vancouver, I wanna go ask about women's scents haha

  19. #19

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    My rule is never ask a sales clerk for an opinion. Never show an interest in what they are pushing unless you are genuinely interested.

    YOU are the customer and you will pay for what you want.

    I don't care if I smell like a young woman; I don't care if I smell like an old man; all I care about is if *I* alone like the scent. I am not interested in the scent of such-and-such celebrity; I don't care if everyone is wearing it; I don't care if I get bag of samples with the purchase of such-and-such.

    Simply look at the clerk and say, "My mind is quite made up on what I like. I will take a bottle of this, please." Hand the clerk the bottle and pay for your purchase. If you must, smile pleasantly and act like you are happy to receive their help. Thank them for their input.

    Say, "I know this scent is for women, but it's so silly to have a gender label for scent, don't you agree?" Smile. "It's a pure sensation. No one gives various wines a gender, so why is it so for fragrances? Can you see white wines for men, and rose for women--because it's pink?" Be pleasant all the way through the transaction, even if the SA gets peeved. Last resort: ask for another SA. "Is there someone else who can help me with this?" Again, be gracious and pleasant.

    There is no cure for being stupid and/or misguided.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  20. #20
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    She sounds like she may be related to some Basenoters.

    I think if you like the Midnight Poison, you should buy it from another SA - but make sure she is there to see you doing it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  21. #21
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,286

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Ignore and let her talk. That way you would doing her a favour, for you will make her feel more self-confident.

  22. #22

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by cformosa4 View Post
    Man on man. I would have had a hay-day. lol. I would have given her a history lesson ahah.. Which Bay were you at? If it's on in Vancouver, I wanna go ask about women's scents haha
    Somewhere in Ontario. Don't wanna name the city in case somebody high-up that works for The Bay decides to exact some sort of punishment on those SAs.

    @knit at nite

    There were 2 reasons why I went to The Bay that day. One was to look for a present for a coworker (at the mall connected to The Bay), and the other was to buy Pure Havane (cuz it was a limited edition, from what I read here and other sites). Since I missed out on Pure Coffee (I'm a caffeine junkie btw lol), I'll just buy PH instead.
    I've tested Pure Havane twice before this event - first time was in downtown Toronto when I was checking out Prada Homme Intense, and the second was at this store while checking if they have PHI in stock also - and actually liked how the cigar/tobacco notes doesn't stay as long on me, and the remainder of the whole fragrance is pure honey/sugar sweetness.
    Last edited by Galizur; 17th April 2011 at 06:48 PM.

  23. #23

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Very interesting post and can feel myself totally identified with your situation. I live in a latin american country where there´s still a lot of "machismo" attitude. You have no idea the "looks" women sales executive give me when I´m at the boutique checking the femenine scents. It´s like I´m some kind of alien... LOL
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

  24. #24

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Praise her pants, then ask her if 50 years ago, the pants were not strictly male

  25. #25
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,897

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My rule is never ask a sales clerk for an opinion.
    Good rule.

  26. #26

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My rule is never ask a sales clerk for an opinion.
    Ditto. You are more likely to get an uneducated guess, the answer they believe you are looking for, or a purely sales driven response. There are some salespeople out there that are genuine and honest, but they are few and far between with no way of sorting through the bullshit.

  27. #27

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    You should have looked upset at her, claiming that you are a woman. Perhaps also demanding to speak to her manager to squeeze some more samples out of her. Worth a try, maybe.

  28. #28
    Dependent Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bend Oregon USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    You would think that SA's would be able to get with the idea that perfume should be an adventure.


    .

  29. #29

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by birdboy48 View Post
    you would think that sa's would be able to get with the idea that perfume should be an adventure.

    .
    yes!
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

    My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

    Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

    "Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

  30. #30
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I buy online to avoid those sort of things. My "people skills" leave something to be desired. You did much better than I would have.

  31. #31

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    There's thisSA who is convinced that the whole Serge Lutens line is feminine and always, cheerfully & naively , reminds me of this "fact". I chuckle and ask to smell MKK. Lol

    for swap/sale:





  32. #32
    Basenotes Junkie Xqizit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Cool story bro!

  33. #33

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    As long as I am gracious and smiling, I can get away with discounting any silly opinion made by an SA.

    I have bought fragrance only to be told, "Oh, but this is for men!" I smile cheerfully and say, "Oh, yes, I know. That is what 'homme' means." I proceed to open my wallet and pay as they are dumb-founded.

    I don't let SAs ruin my hobby.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  34. #34
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,897

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I smile cheerfully and say, "Oh, yes, I know. That is what 'homme' means." I proceed to open my wallet and pay as they are dumb-founded.
    Priceless!

  35. #35

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I hope that Sales Clerk wasn't from DIOR. In the boutique we get men trying on MP as well as DA and even the Mitzah from the La Collection. Majority of fragrance aren't so black and white as far as the sex who should wear them. A lot of men's fragrance have flowers including that Dior Homme which consists of Iris.

  36. #36

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Lord have mercy!!! I am glad I am not you.... I would have told her where to get off! MP is my signature fragrance & I am a man. I recommend it to guys all the time because despite the marketing, it is actually masculine!! Men ♥ it!! Never let someone steer you away from something YOU like!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

  37. #37
    Ursula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flushing,NY/USA
    Posts
    724
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    I cannot understand what kind of clerk you have found!!!

    Maybe not too much experienced so it would be easy to have found at least once a man who intended to buy a femenine fragrance for him!!!

    Do not why but I know any men who like roses & jasmine as notes on their perfumes to wear, so why not if forind at femenine scents????...also cannot understand these labels that conditions our elections & decisions.
    Never do feel ashamed if you laike any femenine scent, or lie about who is for. I use to wear masculine (very supossed male scents) and I do not feel bad or worried about anyone thinks about!!!

    enjoy your perfumes and do not let anyone to label them and 'label' you because of wearing them !!!
    Why do you care ? YOU are the customer. You don't have to answer.

    It is bad sales behavior to contradict a customer. She broke that rule. Like, Trump would say: "You're fired."
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

  38. #38

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Besides, like it has often been credibly and well-documented proven here on Basenotes, gender divides between scents are a relatively new invention (few centuries of age at most) in the millennial tradition of fragrance making

  39. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I feel like the entire retail method for fragrance needs to be revamped. Companies should dispose of SAs altogether and simply employ "cashiers." They say nothing except "Is this all for today?" and "Cash, or credit?"

  40. #40
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Although I love fragrance shopping I admit that when an SA approaches , my heart sinks because it's pressure, pressure, pressure to buy .
    I normally walk in with a good idea of what I want and then 1, 2, 3 SAs in succession interrupt my thinking process . It's like being stalked.
    In Neiman's I got fed up and said ' You know you're the third person to approach me in 5 minutes . '
    I understand they have a job to do but it's highly uncomfortable to be descended upon by these ' eager beavers ' ( especially those with their preconceived ideas ! )
    Hence I love the quiet and silence of shopping online !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  41. #41

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    That's why I love samples! Try them out at your leisure, enjoy the joy of trying whatever takes your fancy, whether it be male or female scent...who cares!! Then buy what your heart desires, online, where nobody is pressuring you. Or making ignorant comments!

  42. #42

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I think the important thing to remember is that it’s your money and you do spend it how you see fit. You’ve earned it (I hope)!

    Once I passed a clothes store, whilst wearing a blue t-shirt with that store’s logo on it. A couple of the SAs in there gawped as I walked on by. I simply smiled and raised my eyebrows at them (I was tempted to hang around, out of curiosity, but was in a hurry). Why did they gawp? Because all the men’s t-shirts are as baggy as f*** and I was wearing a tight-fitting one, so they automatically knew that I was wearing a women’s t-shirt from their company.

    Btw, that t-shirt in question I’ve dubbed as my ‘Superman top’…

    Your body, your life… do what you want and screw social constructs.

  43. #43

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Some of you need to learn the art of rejecting others with class and dignitiy. It's much easier, based on inertia, to quietly stew and put up with a SA. It's also easy to go off on an SA. Better IMO to say "thanks but I'm good...I'll let you know if I need you" in a manner that is firm, direct, and dignfied and conveys the point that you want to be left alone.

    Rudeness goes both ways! Keep it classy basenotes!

  44. #44

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Some of you need to learn the art of rejecting others with class and dignitiy. It's much easier, based on inertia, to quietly stew and put up with a SA. It's also easy to go off on an SA. Better IMO to say "thanks but I'm good...I'll let you know if I need you" in a manner that is firm, direct, and dignfied and conveys the point that you want to be left alone.

    Rudeness goes both ways! Keep it classy basenotes!
    I disagree with the tone of this but the underlying idea of just politely saying "I am good for now" works 100% of the time.

  45. #45
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Any affordable, purchasable art will not be well represented by salespeople, since knowledge and experience are difficult to come by, and there is no budget to hire such rare individuals. Instead, vapid wage slaves fill the role. It was the same in record stores -- only the rarest salesperson, generally at a niche specialty shop, could actually point you toward accurate recommendations.

  46. #46

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Department stores are the worst offenders. I've gradually gotten better at making them work for me or telling them that what I want is to sniff some things on my own. I find I do much better however in stores that are dedicated entirely (or nearly so) to scents. In NYC, MiN is an outstanding example of a place that you can just sit around and smell the flerjoffs, if if you will. Aedes de Venustas, for all its peculiarities and claustrophobia, is similarity relaxed. I imagine that Scentbar is a good shopping experience as well.

    Today I am also going to Henri Bendel for the first time!

    I will say that I have never, ever had anyone give me shit about fragrance genders. At Bergdorf Goodman, at least, they don't miss a beat in telling you how many men like a particular scent that may not be marketed to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Although I love fragrance shopping I admit that when an SA approaches , my heart sinks because it's pressure, pressure, pressure to buy .
    I normally walk in with a good idea of what I want and then 1, 2, 3 SAs in succession interrupt my thinking process . It's like being stalked.
    In Neiman's I got fed up and said ' You know you're the third person to approach me in 5 minutes . '
    I understand they have a job to do but it's highly uncomfortable to be descended upon by these ' eager beavers ' ( especially those with their preconceived ideas ! )
    Hence I love the quiet and silence of shopping online !

  47. #47
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I imagine that Scentbar is a good shopping experience as well.
    Best staff ever. They're into what they do but will completely stay out of your way if needed.

  48. #48

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Sounds like you had some fun playing with that SA!

  49. #49
    Super Member meowmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    _________________________
    Will perform unspeakable acts for Fracas, Chanel 19, and Agent Provocateur. And MAC, but the fragrance + cosmetics comorbidity club is pretty dang lonely.

    Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

  50. #50

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Unfortunately, Some of the SAs are high pressure car salesmen or women. LOL

    - - - Updated - - -

    This sums it up! Really? Really? This is what most SAs are thinking when you take too long to make up your mind. LOL

  51. #51

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Alls I can say is that I have come across more dumb salespeople at perfume counters than I care to remember. In fact, I don't think I've EVER come across one who seemed to be interested in perfume--that is, one who did not turn out to be visiting the store from the parent company. When I do come across someone who seems to know something--an example being the girl at the Byredo counter who knew, from her training, that Adoxal figured prominently in M/MInk--I'm astounded.

    I'm sure there are people at perfume counters who have a deep interest in and knowledge of fragrance. But I haven't found them.

  52. #52
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by Galizur View Post
    ...and how female perfumes react much more better on women instead on men....
    I knew it. I'm broken. Sample group of one: no, they don't.

    Me, I had a fantastic experience in MY local Bay; I was wandering around testing men's perfumes, and this tall blonde SA with a European accent asked me if I was looking for a gift. "No," I said, "I'm looking for me. I don't like most women's perfumes."

    "Ah!" she said, with the delight of someone finding a fellow. "Me too! I wear men's perfumes all the time, I don't tell anyone!" Then she sprayed some of her favourites for me... then she sprayed something on a strip and said, "This! Chanel No. 5! Isn't this awful! Everyone still wants it, everyone wears it! I am so tired of it!"

    She was great. I didn't buy anything that day, but I think we both had a good time.

  53. #53

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I've met some good SAs and some terrible ones. The girls at the Chanel, YSL, Dior and Sisley counters at my local department store seem to have a little more training but that doesn't mean the experience is always good. For example I was looking to buy Egoiste as my bottle is almost empty, and it went like this:

    'Ah, hi. Do you have Egoiste in stock?'
    'Oh, yes!' she pointed to Platinum Egoiste
    'Hmm, that's Platinum Egoiste.'
    'They're the same.'
    'Mm, well... see, they're not and I don't like Platinum Egoiste.' I realized there was no point pushing this, and they didn't seem to have it anyway so I changed the subject 'Do you have Cristalle?'
    She holds up Cristalle eau the Verte 'Is this a gift?' I shake my head 'Oh-' she puts it back down. 'There's no men's version of this one.'
    'I don't mind, as long as it smells nice.'

    I'll give the girl some credit at this point it obviously clicked in her head that I was happy to buy women's fragrance, and she seemed happy to sell it to me.

    The older lady at the YSL counter is much better. Admittedly she gets me to try La Nuit every single time I talk to her (three times in three days, at one point!) and has obviously been told to push anything new. Despite that she hardly batted an eyelid when I told her I wanted to buy Cinema for myself, and that I prefer Opium to Opium Pour Homme. In fact she even gave me a sample of the new Opium flanker, which I'm quite fond of.

    The lady at my local perfume shop is also very laid back about the gender thing. The younger girl who works there, less so. Maybe I'm prejudiced but I find older women tend to be much more accomodating and knowledgable. One thing I can't stand, and it happens a lot with younger SAs, is when I'm trying something and they turn around and tell me that X is better. Usually if you simply ask, 'why is it better?' they can't give any cogent response.

  54. #54

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Whenever an SA asks, "Are you buying this for yourself or someone else?" I know I'm in trouble.
    It’s a sales technique. She is presenting you with an alternate of choice question. The subliminal command is that you are “buying this”. By answering "for yourself or someone else?" you’re left feeling in control.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Galizur View Post
    when I told the cashier/sales clerk that I sprayed MP on myself (I had already purchased Pure Havane by this time), she gave me the "look" (shocked, weird, dumbfounded look, you know what I mean) and gave me a lecture about MP being marketed for women only and how female perfumes react much more better on women instead on men.
    The last time this happened to me, I gave her petruccijc’s awesome line. I asked her “Will my pee pee fall off?” You should have seen the look on her face. She stood there in shock for a good 5 seconds before replying “no, I don’t think that will happen” and then … AND THEN do you know what she did? She turned and walked away…YES!!!
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

  55. #55
    Basenotes Junkie Nosebud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    ^ lol that is awesome!

    To the OP: sorry you had that experience. It happens to us all!

  56. #56

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    Just tell her it's for your boyfriend/husband.

  57. #57

    Default Re: An argument with a Sales Clerk ~ A guy testing Midnight Poison EDP for himself

    I try to find an open-minded SA and then work with him/her. Too many people are geared to think according to marketing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Similar Threads

  1. Midnight Poison by Christian Dior
    By lune85 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 8th July 2012, 09:54 PM
  2. Midnight Poison.
    By N_Tesla in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 18th September 2011, 08:27 PM
  3. Is there anything similar to Midnight Poison?
    By Vullishoop in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st September 2011, 03:22 AM
  4. midnight poison
    By 911opr in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th January 2009, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •