Code of Conduct

Default Celebrity Perfume blind item reveal

I actually thought this one was kind of cute. I definitely would have done the same if I were in her position.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/20...aled_3647.html
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Default Re: Celebrity Perfume blind item reveal

Seems silly to me. Unless I'm confused about the fragrance, but assuming the ingrediants to make it or something like it still exist then I can't see the point. Now when it's an older scent, butchered by reformulation or discontinued because the ingrediants simply don't exist, I can appreciate stocking up in a big way. I'm still working on obtaining life-time supplies of Worth Pour Homme, PH HC, Monsiuer Worth, Houbigants Musk, and vintage Givenchy Gentleman, and getting quite close but I challenge anyone to find a modern fragrance with the same character. I will admit that I woud have considered doing this for Tea for Two, had I the money. Simply because I can't envision anything like it hitting the shelves again, but vanilla is a hugely popular note. Almost every niche/designer company has one or more vanilla scents. In some cases each house has a good number.

If I had movie-star money though? Maybe. Props to her, all the same, for being able to do this.

Gotta wonder about the girl saying only strippers wear vanilla fragrances. How many strippers have l'Artisan on their radar? To be honest a big part of why I've never bought a l'Artisan vanilla is because they're not vanillic enough. My limited experience has been with beautiful, complex fragrances that have a vanilla presence. We're not talking Victoria's Secret here.

I guess that makes me a stripper though because Goutal's Vanille Exquise, Molinard's Vanille (vintage) Tonka Imperiale, and a host of others are all on my list of love. I guess that's another stereotype, though? Old ladies wear this, old men wear that, sorority girls wear this, gym junkies wear that, and so on. I wonder if the poster has even smelled the fragrance in question. Is sandalwood any less cliche a perfume note?

What about Tonka though? Is this only for stippers or does it get little more leeway?

I think we all have our scent-prejudices. In the same way certain notes please us. I for one can't think of a better way to ruin a vanilla or gourmand than putting coconut in it. Anything coconut just puts me in mind of tanning oils and the like, and for that reason has an aura of cheapness. No one is doing anything wrong by enjoying it though, and honestly I couldn't care less what people find sophisticated.

I still consider Love's Baby soft one of the most enchanting scents a woman can wear. It may be over done, sophomoric, cliche, etc. But it smells good. There's room enough in my wardrobe to buy things for myself, and things for other people. It's not a zero sum game.

I found it amusing.

While the ingredients may still exist, the perfume doesn't. There are a lot of vanillas out there, just as there are a lot of tuberoses, jasmines, etc., but we all know that once we fixate on a particular blend of something, that's it. The nose wants what the nose wants. So I found it amusing, too. And also rather charming.