Code of Conduct

Default The grapefruit note in Terre d'Hermes

I know there is grapefruit in the top notes of Terre d'Hermes, but I can't smell it at all. All I smell is a mineral note and cedar. I was surprised to learn recently that it had grapefruit in it. In the edp version I can detect the sweet orange at the beginning most distinctly. I'm wondering if my eau de toilette is old or deteriorating. Can everyone else detect the grapefruit note or is my nose a bit off. Or is that top notes so fleeting that I miss them all together.

Default Re: The grapefruit note in Terre d'Hermes

I smelled it when I bought my first bottle when it was released.. I've been in search for a similar version ever since and haven't had any luck... 1.6oz - 6.7oz, edt - edp... nothing seems to have the same smell as the original release... really disappointing!

The grapefruit note is at the very, very top. It recedes into the background pretty quickly, but you can still pick it out if you know what you're looking for. Try spraying some on your arm and then put your nose right up to it. I think you'll pick it up.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I don't smell it, but if its there, then it's there.

All I smell is a sour orange note underneath the flinty earthtones, but it would not surprise me if someone described it as slightly grapefruity.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

The bottle of parfum I have has a distinct grapefruit note. My original decant was more bitter orange. I also found a floral aspect to shine through in the drydown of my original decant which my bottle lacks. There's another thread discussing the possibility of reformulation.

I've tried an older sample of TdH edt & a newer tester of it & found them to be quite different, actually. The older EDT had a nice grapefruit opening with only a little bit of pepper (barely detectable to me), while the newer one had very little of the grapefruit opening & a very strong pepper opening. I own a bottle of the parfum and find the orange/grapefruit opening on it quite strong and lasting.

My bottle is from '08. I don't really notice grapefruit, but do get a wide ranging citrus opening along with the pepper blast, so it could be hidden in there somewhere

There is definitely evidence to suggest a reformulation. The newer bottles definitely have less of a grapefruit note and more orange. The pepper has also been turned up. The parfum is probably the best representation of the original EdT.

I've also noticed that the longer you leave the EdT open, the more prominent that orange note becomes. In fact it gets so strong that as a scent it becomes unwearable. I'm not sure if I'll be using the EdT except in summer, but it is my signature fragrance after all.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    I know there is grapefruit in the top notes of Terre d'Hermes, but I can't smell it at all. All I smell is a mineral note and cedar. I was surprised to learn recently that it had grapefruit in it. In the edp version I can detect the sweet orange at the beginning most distinctly. I'm wondering if my eau de toilette is old or deteriorating. Can everyone else detect the grapefruit note or is my nose a bit off. Or is that top notes so fleeting that I miss them all together.
    I also cannot sniff out the grapefruit note. All I get is an overwhelming dose of Iso e super. Way too much for me.

^that

I do feel a pronounced mineral note in TDH, but unsure whether it's grapefruit or even grapefruit-like to my nose, whenever I sense it.