Code of Conduct

Default Kenzo Homme Sport? Any fans?

I'm kind of in the mood for some fresh informal scents and was having a look at this because I like the Kenzo House fragrances generally and Francois Demachy has done such a great job with the Dior Homme line. The notes sound great: grapefruit, mint, lemon, ginger, cedar, geranium, vetiver. All good...however there are virtually no reviews of this online. I know it only came out this year, so not sure if it was lost amongst the Olympic summer deluge of designer Sport fragrances or if the label Sport is just kryptonite to serious fragrance fans (for the record I think Dior Homme Sport is fantastic).

Anyway, any fans of this? Ignoring the Sport label, is it a good fresh casual scent? Did Demachy do it again?

Default Re: Kenzo Homme Sport? Any fans?

It did get lost amongst the deluge. It also got ignored by a lot of people on BN because of the ridiculous "its so sport" advert tagline. But I like it. I just wish it lasted a bit longer, I get about 3 hours out of 4 sprays.

Anton likes it too. And I believe Neil AKA The Redneck Perfumisto is partial to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    It did get lost amongst the deluge. It also got ignored by a lot of people on BN because of the ridiculous "its so sport" advert tagline. But I like it. I just wish it lasted a bit longer, I get about 3 hours out of 4 sprays.

Anton likes it too. And I believe Neil AKA The Redneck Perfumisto is partial to it too.
    Thanks for replying. Was beginning to think it was hated by all! Good to hear it's got something to offer. I just thought with that list of notes and Demachy's craftmanship it must be worth a sniff. I may even blind buy it and keep it until the weather allows an airing!

I have this and like it too.

It was ok on the card, but I'm pretty sure after the enjoyable opening it devolves to a lower tier version of the standard sport fragrance in the style of Dior Homme Sport. With that said, I'd have to recommend DHS if you're going to go this route at all. Just my two cents.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

About to pull the trigger and blind buy this, just thought I would check before I do if anyone who owns or has tested it could name me a similar scent as a reference point or, for those who don't rate it (probably the majority), tell me what it is about the scent you don't like.

I like the mint in it from what I sampled at the department store

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I like the mint in it from what I sampled at the department store
    Thanks for letting me know. Have ordered it - my first blind buy. I like mint, as long as it's offset by some other notes that take thee sharpness down a little. Can you tell me, did you get anything else other than mint from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro78 View Post
    About to pull the trigger and blind buy this, just thought I would check before I do if anyone who owns or has tested it could name me a similar scent as a reference point or, for those who don't rate it (probably the majority), tell me what it is about the scent you don't like.
    I suppose the very closest other fragrance is the original Dior Homme Sport (not the altered version that came out this year and has iris added). Hardly surprising when they are both by Francois Demachy. I find old DHS is drier than KHS (I dont mean as in opposite of wet, I mean the use of the word in "dry white wine"). And even though I have complained about the longevity of the Kenzo, on me the longevity of DHS is appalling (doesn't even make it to 2 hours). And then there is the mint plus ginger accord in KHS. Dont ask me why, but I'm a real sucker for these 2 notes in combination. There are only 3 other fragrances I have smelt that have it.

One is Creed Green Valley. I blame this great scent for my mint plus ginger addiction. Otherwise, Green Valley is nothing like KHS or DHS.

One is Armani Code Sport. Anton has mentioned he smells a similarity between the Kenzo and Code Sport. For me, it's only there with the top notes, after that Code Sport descends into Cool Water nastiness, and thankfully Kenzo Homme Sport doesn't go that way.

The last is Big Pony 3. The trouble with BP3 is it is just that mint plus ginger accord, and nothing else. OK for shower gel, but not for a fragrance at the prices Ralph Lauren are charging.

You've already said you like Dior Homme Sport. If you have the chance to try Big Pony 3, do. Its whole smell is a large component of Kenzo Homme Sport. If you dont like BP3, you wont like the Kenzo. Maybe try layering DHS and BP3, you might get more of an idea of how the Kenzo smells (I've not tried this so I dont know if these 2 will combine correctly).

Thanks for that Andy. Your thoughts are much appreciated. I, unfortunately, have the reformulated DHS and have never smelled the lemon/ginger freshness of the original. I reckon I would love it and this is one of the reasons I've bought KHS. The reformulated DHS is not really a sport fragrance at all (no bad thing) but the iris note means I don't get the fresh zingy-ness from it that I wanted. This lipsticky note seems slightly at odds with the fresh lemon and ginger notes. I still like it a lot it must be said.
    The only mint fragrance I have tested is Cartier's Roadster and, while I found it nice and fresh, I wish there was something else going on inn there. Maybe a little too straightforward.
    Anyway, really looking forward to receiving KHS through the mail, even more so now after reading your thoughts.

I used to own it but sold it. It is a great scent but on my skin very similar to Bleu De Chanel. The dry down is pretty much identical. Good for summer/spring.
    Arent you a little short for a stormtrooper?

Thanks everyone. If the reference points are DHS, BdC and Creed Green Valley then I'll be a very happy chappy indeed!

Nope doesn't smell like Green Valley, it just has a nice Mint & Ginger accord, and I got hooked on that accord from sampling Green Valley. But KHS doesn't smell anything like GV, apart from that accord.

This is really good stuff. I am on the verge of buying a bottle for myself

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Solid stuff! Please do not be out off by the "Sport" label.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!