Code of Conduct

Question Versace Dreamer - Worth a Look?

After reading many comments on this fragrance (it smells like unsmoked cigarettes!) I'm wondering if this is a safe blind buy for me.

I currently like: Grey Flannel, Quorum, Polo Green, Azzaro PH, Aramis, Eau Sauvage EDP, and Jovan SA. Any input is appreciated!

Default Re: Versace Dreamer - Worth a Look?

Yes it is, Versace's best fragrance period.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Versace's best fragrance period.
    True, but that's not saying much. I'd pass on this one.

I sampled it and loved it. I bought a bottle, wore it a few times grew to dislike it, after three months I wore it and was surprised how good it was. There is something appealing about it but I would never wear it more than a few times a year.

The smell itself is very good but it lacks depth, which is something I've noticed with a lot of reformulations and new releases. It works better as a room spray, IMO, and gets irritating after a while as a "personal fragrance."

Based on your likes listed, it doesn't seem like a good match, but you will never know unless you sample it

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I'd pass on this one.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    True, but that's not saying much. I'd pass on this one.
    True lol, but compared to the recent releases its pretty good.

This one gets a bad rap around here on BN. I have the original formulation of the juice and I like it quite a bit. Yes the tobacco note in this does smell like a fresh pack of cigs which I have always loved the smell of but its also combined with a nice combination of florals and tonka bean. Its definitely not something I am always reaching for but I get a ton of compliments from women when I do. Not that the attention matters much to me but this seems to be a crowd pleaser, which is why I always scratch my head when it gets bashed here on BN. The price isnt too dangerous for a blind buy so I would say go for it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Dreamer is beautiful but volatile. It's not safe, but it is interesting.

I love it, it's unique and slightly daring.

The opening isn't as bad as many say, but the drydown isn't as good as many say.

Overall, not bad, but not worth a place in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I sampled it and loved it. I bought a bottle, wore it a few times grew to dislike it, after three months I wore it and was surprised how good it was. There is something appealing about it but I would never wear it more than a few times a year.
    Exactly the same experience with me! Sometime I loved it and bought another tester bottle for backup.
    But now I've sold my backup bottle and there's almost 15-20ml left in the first bottle which is enough for the rest of my life!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Well I really appreciate all the responses here. I picked up a 100ml bottle from TJ Maxx for $34.99 and put some on tonight - definitely interesting and does bring to mind Le Male a bit (which I like). I especially like the tobacco notes in this one so far - I am picking up on the "smell of a good pipe tobacco" vibe but also very fresh and clean. Seems pretty powerful too.

In my belated opinion: you made a good choice, enjoy your fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    The opening isn't as bad as many say, but the drydown isn't as good as many say.
    yea

One of two fragrances I'd consider as my signatures. I absolutely adore Dreamer and that fresh cigarette note of tobacco blossom/flower. Wish I could find something else with that type of tobacco note. (orig. formulation of D&G Pour Homme is about the closest I've found. Most tobacco fragrances are more focused on sweet pipe or spicy cigar notes. They're ok, but that fresh, floral, cigarette type of tobacco in Dreamer, is my favorite).

The more I have this on the more I like it. I could easily see this as an everyday scent.

I don't think it's a safe blind buy, but it is excellent and can be had for around $25 at discounters like Ross & TJ Maxx.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    The more I have this on the more I like it. I could easily see this as an everyday scent.
    I love the smell but its too strong from me. I get headaches upon application. If i could skip the opening and jump to the base it would be perfect for me.

very strong so ease up on the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    After reading many comments on this fragrance (it smells like unsmoked cigarettes!) I'm wondering if this is a safe blind buy for me.

I currently like: Grey Flannel, Quorum, Polo Green, Azzaro PH, Aramis, Eau Sauvage EDP, and Jovan SA. Any input is appreciated!
    The opening is a confusing mix of herbal, floral and some tobacco. The drydown however is excellent cigar tobacco with hints of floral and tonka. Definitely check it out if you like the scent of sweet cigars.