Code of Conduct

Default Favorite fall & winter scents? (25 years old)

I'm new to the forum, sampled a few from luckyscents, and I have to say this is going to be a fun hobby!

As per the thread title, any recommendations are much appreciated!

Default Re: Favorite fall & winter scents? (25 years old)

For a 25 year old? Perhaps Burberry London
    For me, anything will work for any season. No favorites.

Scents don't really have an age or a gender, but some are favored by young or older people. Some may have an older "feel," but that's entirely subjective.

I'd be curious, of what you've tested, what are the notes you like? Any standout fragrances?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Scents don't really have an age or a gender, but some are favored by young or older people. Some may have an older "feel," but that's entirely subjective.

I'd be curious, of what you've tested, what are the notes you like? Any standout fragrances?

I ordered a few samples of things, here are a few words on each:

Bois Blond - I love the idea, I can't agree with it's description. A "tobaccoy" smell.
    Passage d'Enfer - Cold, but Avignon hits the nail better, and for cheaper.
    Black Auod - Way, way too "old lady rose" smelling
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme - I bought a bottle, LOVE IT. Perfect Spring/Summer for me. Love the floral.
    Acqua di Gio - Wanted one "water" scent, and it was one of the few that didn't smell too "frat/guido" to me.
    L'AIR DU DESERT MAROCAIN - Precisely as described, but far too "eastern" for me - doesn't fit me as a person.
    Avignon - Absolutely love it, spooky, dark, and a great winter smell but it would offend too many.
    Zagorsk - Same incense line as Avignon, but it was horrible to me.
    Eau d'Italie - Didn't smell strong at all, too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I ordered a few samples of things, here are a few words on each:

Bois Blond - I love the idea, I can't agree with it's description. A "tobaccoy" smell.
    Passage d'Enfer - Cold, but Avignon hits the nail better, and for cheaper.
    Black Auod - Way, way too "old lady rose" smelling
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme - I bought a bottle, LOVE IT. Perfect Spring/Summer for me. Love the floral.
    Acqua di Gio - Wanted one "water" scent, and it was one of the few that didn't smell too "frat/guido" to me.
    L'AIR DU DESERT MAROCAIN - Precisely as described, but far too "eastern" for me - doesn't fit me as a person.
    Avignon - Absolutely love it, spooky, dark, and a great winter smell but it would offend too many.
    Zagorsk - Same incense line as Avignon, but it was horrible to me.
    Eau d'Italie - Didn't smell strong at all, too weak.
    Hm, interesting to read your reactions to these. You definitely tried some things that I wouldn't have when I was new. I have to agree with hednic that Burberry London would be a great option. Along a different line, I'd suggest you check out some Creeds, even though it's not necessarily Wintery, I love Himalaya.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Hm, interesting to read your reactions to these. You definitely tried some things that I wouldn't have when I was new. I have to agree with hednic that Burberry London would be a great option. Along a different line, I'd suggest you check out some Creeds, even though it's not necessarily Wintery, I love Himalaya.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a sample of Sergui Lutens Chergui coming in, No. 88, and Creed's Green Irish coming in. I suppose I went for the more "risky" ones there, but I'm trying to get a unique smell.

Ideally, I love floral scents for the Spring, citrusy for the Summer, harvesty/Earthy, and spicy/wooden for the winter. I hate leather and tobacco, and musk is far too "old person" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a sample of Sergui Lutens Chergui coming in, No. 88, and Creed's Green Irish coming in. I suppose I went for the more "risky" ones there, but I'm trying to get a unique smell.

Ideally, I love floral scents for the Spring, citrusy for the Summer, harvesty/Earthy, and spicy/wooden for the winter. I hate leather and tobacco, and musk is far too "old person" for me.
    Maybe not Burberry London then. It will be interesting to find mens fragrances that don't have tobacco or leather, since those are used in a lot of scents. I mean, there are plenty that don't, but I just tend to love tobacco.

If you like scents with incense as the note, you might as well go in that direction for the winter. Avignon is a good one, but I prefer Kyoto personally. I also love Memoir Man and a few others, but those are pricy. By the way, Chergui has tobacco in it, so you may or may not like it. I personally enjoy it.

You'll have a good time picking out stuff for spring and summer though. I love a lot of spring and summer scents, but I tend to gravitate toward niche, which isn't the usual path newcomers take (I know I didn't at first, but then I got a few Creeds and I was off to the races). Really, Creed does spring and summer better than most, and Green Irish Tweed/Millesime Imperial are standouts.

Maybe not Burberry London then. It will be interesting to find mens fragrances that don't have tobacco or leather, since those are used in a lot of scents. I mean, there are plenty that don't, but I just tend to love tobacco.
    This will sound quite feminine, so pardon me. Ever go to Yankee Candle and smell their fall smells? In particular, this and this? Those smells are amazingly delicious. Anything which can replicate those?

Kantara for Men by Albin du Roy which is close to the first candle.

It gets a lot of hype, but I have to say Pure Malt is just too good to pass up.

Banned
    Blog Entries

original santal
    desert marocaine

+ 1 Pure Malt
    +1 Creed Original Santal
    +1 Memoir Man

Some others you may want to look into:
    Diptyque - Tam Dao
    Creed - Spice & Wood sounds like it just might be up your alley (one of my absolute favorites)
    Gucci Pour Homme I
    Tom Ford for Men
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    desert marocaine
    This is, without trying to sound rude, far too ethnic for my taste.

Its going to be 40 degrees Celsius today and I'm wearing Diaghilev.

But I won't feel the 40 degrees because I don't work in the fields and my car is parked in a parking garage.

for swap/sale:

start sampling Niche right away.. most spend hundreds on designer then discover niche only to sell off designer they don't wear... their are many great designer but once you discover the niche it is a whole different ball game...

Bond #9 New Haarlem is a absolute must at your age...
    for designer another must have is Pure Malt.. you have to order straight from Mugler USA
    when you are ready to step up your game check out amouge jubilation XXV

Dior Homme Intense, Boss Bottled #6, TM Pure Malt, TM Pure Havane, Chanel Allure