• Creed - Royal Oud

10 20.83%
  • Fredederic Malle - Musc Ravageur

9 18.75%
  • Xerjoff - Uden

1 2.08%
  • Etro - Messe de Minuit

3 6.25%

Default Curious about your input, as it's time to waste more money.

I'm in the market to pick up one more bottle (or maybe two) while I'm visiting the States.

These are the ones that I've been considering, though some considerably more than others.

What I'm curious about is your opinion on how any of these bottles have held up in your collection. If you feel like just putting in which one you'd get that's great, but if you want, tell me why you'd go for it, and also feel free to list which ones you think to be rubbish, and why you personally wouldn't find them worth owning.

I'm interested in any owners experience with any of these, as a few I've heard rather others relate rather mixed experiences (i.e. the Creed having poor longevity/batch variations and the usual Creed gripes, the Le Labo bottles losing quality, projection and longevity after you've owned them for a bit, the Amouages being beautiful but difficult to find situations to wear them in etc. etc.).

I've worn all save one, but have smelled all of them, so feel free to relate any experience with any of these or to give suggestions of similar fragrances you like better (and why if you have in inclination).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Partario; 27th December 2012 at 06:25 PM.

Default Re: Curious about your input, as it's time to waste more money.

I will comment on the Creeds. I have 29 full large bottles in my collection and they have held up very well over the years. I don't consider any I have to be rubbish. Also I don't pay attention to batch variations and I never have had problems personally with longevity. There are a few I really love like: Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather, and Royal Scottish Lavender.

Good deal.

Have any experience with Royal Oud?

Your first three are the only ones I'd consider - out of that list, anyway. But I think Homage really stands out. It's a potent rose and incense attar that will surely impress you. However, Le Labo Rose 31 and Tauer's Incense Rose are also very special fragrances in my collection. Still, Homage will blow your mind with the longevity, sillage, and quality of ingredients.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    Your first three are the only ones I'd consider - out of that list, anyway. But I think Homage really stands out. It's a potent rose and incense attar that will surely impress you. However, Le Labo Rose 31 and Tauer's Incense Rose are also very special fragrances in my collection. Still, Homage will blow your mind with the longevity, sillage, and quality of ingredients.
    For sure man. I was completely wowed by it the time I tried it. Lasted and projected forever. The main thing I've been a little nervous about though, is that several have said that there are HEAVY variations on the attars, and the tester bottle I tried out, I loved so much, that I'd hate to get anything but what I smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Good deal.

Have any experience with Royal Oud?
    Yes - I own it and think it's wonderful. Other people don't seem to care for it though.

I also own and love Royal Oud. That would be my choice from your list. However, it is not a true "oud" fragrance if that is what you are looking for. To me, it smells a little more like Tea for Two. It is perfect for the cooler months.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I also own and love Royal Oud. That would be my choice from your list. However, it is not a true "oud" fragrance if that is what you are looking for. To me, it smells a little more like Tea for Two. It is perfect for the cooler months.
    Yeah, I kind of chuckled at it the first time I smelled it, because the oud is REALLY buried (to the point that it's almost non-existent), but there is something rather pleasant about it as it begins to dry down. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but just extremely smooth and pleasant smelling IMO.

I voted for Incense Rose (which I own), but probably none of those in your list would be my first choice of the respective houses.

Homage is very problematic. In part, I'm not a fan of orange blossom. But I also think recent batches are inferior - they smell like a plain orange blossom, extremely potent and long lasting, and very bright. But still, nothing like the descriptions you see, say, in Turin and Sanchez. But smell for yourself and see what you think. Rather, in the attars, I think Tribute has held up better, still dark, potent, full of tobacco.

In HdP, I love 1969 also because it's my birth year. Very good if you like gourmand. The house has many other perfumes to offer, such as 1740 etc. I assume you're going to NYC, because Henri Bendel in NYC is the only place where I've seen the whole HdP line here in the US. Note that HdP also has a cheap line called Scents of departure. While most are forgettable, some are ok, such as Dubai (Petroleum lite) or Milan (big spicy cuminy).

Not a particular fan of Creed here. A big fan of several Le Labo. In general, my le labo are still good and I didn't notice any variation in quality. My favorites are potent Patch, dirty Oud, and intense Iris. I also especially like their creams (very creamy and thick, and intensely perfumed) and their bath oils (ditto). Like Malle too, my fave being not MR (I prefer Lutens MKK), but Vetiver extraordinaire.

Oh, and if you go to NYC, remember that now the exclusive Lutens are available at Barneys. Though they cost much, much more than in Paris. Still, an occasion to smell. Especially Sarrasins, and also La Myrrhe etc etc

cacio

Basenotes Plus

If NYC is where you are going, then go with a clean slate, and try as much as you can. Both Barney's and Bergdorf Goodmans should have enough betweenen those two stores to keep your head spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Homage is very problematic. In part, I'm not a fan of orange blossom. But I also think recent batches are inferior - they smell like a plain orange blossom, extremely potent and long lasting, and very bright. But still, nothing like the descriptions you see, say, in Turin and Sanchez. But smell for yourself and see what you think. Rather, in the attars, I think Tribute has held up better, still dark, potent, full of tobacco.
    This has been my concern. The Homage that I smelled was tons of bright clean rose, citrus, and orange blossom, but it makes me wonder if I was smelling maybe an older batch of it.

In HdP, I love 1969 also because it's my birth year. Very good if you like gourmand. The house has many other perfumes to offer, such as 1740 etc. I assume you're going to NYC, because Henri Bendel in NYC is the only place where I've seen the whole HdP line here in the US. Note that HdP also has a cheap line called Scents of departure. While most are forgettable, some are ok, such as Dubai (Petroleum lite) or Milan (big spicy cuminy).
    Unfortunately I won't be making it out to New York while I'm here, but I can grab most of them online, or at Lucky Scent (which isn't too far from where I'm at now). I've smelled the whole mens' line, however I haven't smelled the reformulated 1740. I have a vial of the vintage stuff at home, but I've heard the new stuff is rather tame compared to the original. I was bouncing around the idea of 1725 a bit too, however, although I like it, I just get bored with it after a while, and I find the anise and vanilla a tad bit too dominant in the heart for my taste at the moment.

Not a particular fan of Creed here. A big fan of several Le Labo. In general, my le labo are still good and I didn't notice any variation in quality. My favorites are potent Patch, dirty Oud, and intense Iris. I also especially like their creams (very creamy and thick, and intensely perfumed) and their bath oils (ditto). Like Malle too, my fave being not MR (I prefer Lutens MKK), but Vetiver extraordinaire.
    I'm not very huge on Creed either, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Royal Oud. I haven't worn many of the Le Labo's but the Rose 31 jumped out from what I wore. Of the Malle though I've only smelled the MR, which I liked, but if I can find somewhere around the LA area to try some more of the line, there are a few others I'd like to smell.

Thanks for the input!

From your list, I have only sampled HdP 1969.

However, from that sample I would happily buy a small bottle.

It smelled of rhubarb (others say peach?) and lipstick to me. Just unusual enough for me.

Barney's (the regular one, not the coop) carries both Malle and Le Labo, so you should be able to smell and purchase those two lines in their LA store. Le Labo also has $$$ Le Labo city specials, LA is a semi-white musk. Barney's should carry also Lutens export, Artisan, Diptyque, Byredo, Rosine, CDG, and a few other brands.

Bright clean rose, citrus, and orange blossom is indeed what the current batch of Homage smells like (though the rose isn't very prominent or green, and it is very clean) - so perhaps that's what you like. But there is no jasmine, deep florals, or anything other than bright clean.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    From your list, I have only sampled HdP 1969.

However, from that sample I would happily buy a small bottle.

It smelled of rhubarb (others say peach?) and lipstick to me. Just unusual enough for me.
    Yeah, it's a pretty unique scent for sure. 1969 and Ambre 114 are my favorites from the line so far, but I already own Ambre Sultan and Amber Absolute, so 114 would probably be overkill.

- - - Updated - - -

Bright clean rose, citrus, and orange blossom is indeed what the current batch of Homage smells like (though the rose isn't very prominent or green, and it is very clean) - so perhaps that's what you like. But there is no jasmine, deep florals, or anything other than bright clean.

cacio
    How much different was the older version? And do you think there's anywhere it could still be located (though if its the new one I tried, I still enjoy it quite a bit)?

Unfortunately, I only smelled the older version of Homage once, and I was smelling other powerhouses, so it was hard to know what was what. But it did feel much richer, floral, with jasmine. Now it doesn't, it just feels bright and white. But this could also be due to the fact that I'm not a fan of orange blossom and this style. If the objective is bright and clean, though, I think it's hard to find anything better.

cacio

I have a few samples of Royal Oud. Think it's a great scent as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes - I own it and think it's wonderful. Other people don't seem to care for it though.

To comment on those I have worn.
    --Rose 31- I own 50ml and find it to be a great fragrance, but for whatever reason I don't find myself reaching for it very often.
    --Memoir Man- A recent acquisition, but I blew through multiple decants and see myself wearing this one a lot. It's easy to wear for an Amouage (great for work) but is still complex and unique with it's notes of wormwood/absinthe and mint. Great performance as well.
    --Royal Oud- quality fragrance, seems to be a bit light on projection/longevity but I do see myself picking up a bottle at some point.
    -- MR - I've owned a 100ml of this bottle for sometime and for good reason. I do wear it fairly often for going out to restaurants, shopping, etc. and it gets compliments galore. From your list this would be my first choice followed closely by Memoir Man.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Thanks for the input so far guys. Gives me some factors to think about for sure.

The only one I haven't sniffed is Uden so I went with Royal Oud, just such wonderful radiance from this one and I just don't really get the oud. Definitely one of my favorite Creeds.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Rose 31 and Royal Oud.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Andy Tauer - Incense Rose
    Amouage - Homage Attar (12 ml)
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    Histoires de Parfums - 1969
    Fredederic Malle - Musc Ravageur

I'd go for one (or two) of the above. I own only the last three but have good familiarity with Incense Rose which used to be a good girlfriend of mine signature for quite a while. It' a compliment getter, very easy to like despite being a tad simple. Homage, after the reformulation, is now a clean and sparkling floral but it's still well worth owning if you like humongous florals.

Of the ones I own, my favorite is Memoir Man. A great all-rounder, dark, mysterious yet very wearable. Musc Ravageur turned into a sort of guilty pleasure in my book. I still like to give it a go every once in a while though...1969 I don't wear it very much because it's too rose prominent to my taste but it's a great fragrance nonetheless.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm actually kind of surprised at how the poll is turning out. Didn't expect Memoir to jump so far up the list. Keep the opinions coming. You guys are giving me the exact feedback I was hoping far.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to jump on Memoir Man since I was able to pick it up for a really great price. I'm still heavily considering Musc Ravageur, Incense Rose, and the Creed Royal Oud though, as well.

Thanks for your advice guys!

^^^ great choice!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here