Code of Conduct

Default Cologne recommendation? ( very detailed because i'm looking for one that "fits" me )

Well i'm hoping on here can help me out and recommend a decent cologne for me, that as well with obviously wanting to smell good it also... i guess goes with who i am, if that makes sense. Or put a better way is a cologne that further compliments or goes along with my existing "style".
    Any input is welcomed, I am mostly seeking a casual cologne but wouldn't mind hearing cologne suggestions for more formal occasions. Thanks

About Me:

Im nineteen years old and have somewhat a "blue-collar" kind of look, but not as in trailer park. More as in i wear allot of button downs consisting of just one solid color or flannel's for the most part and (being winter) darker denim or even brown denim/cords worn with typically casual boots. I guess i have a seemingly inexpensive look even tho i nearly everyday wear something from Jcrew (similar to my style cause its not a obviously "hey im better cause i cost more" type brand)
    I live in the NW where the temp at the moment averages 35-40 degrees, i add this cause pry the most important factor in choosing a cologne is the fact that i smoke... but never inside so being the temperature is somewhat cold the smell tends to stick a bit, comparing to summer where as long as i dont light up right in front of whomever i could easily hide it from one (typically girls haha).

QUICK FACTS

Im 19, blue coller-ish look but with nice clothes not resembling at all a possibly poor/redneck look.
    AND I smoke, its cold so the smoke smell lingers (one can always smell it on my clothes if really tried)

I know this is more than needed but i feel a fitting cologne is the one thing missing, i'm told i carry myself verry well and think it could only help and.. yada yada I think you got it.

THANKS

Default Re: Cologne recommendation? ( very detailed because i'm looking for one that "fits" me )

Welcome!

I'm thinking the Aramis line. The Aramis brand (which is part of the Estee Lauder brand) makes solid, classic American scents, and not too expensive either. Perhaps my favorite is Aramis 900, resinous and somewhat spicy. Aramis (the original one) is very leathery, great, but you need to like musky leathers. It is definitely very butch (the new Aramis Gentleman is completely different, fresh synthetic, and unworthy of the classics in my opinion). Tuscany per uomo is instead green-vegetal, almost like a forest, and more relaxed. The other ones in the line (JHL, Havana, Devin) are also worth considering.

Even though there's not much of a problem with smoking in general, older perfumes (ie those done in the 70s and 80s) were designed with smokers in mind, so perhaps they're a better fit. Easy to find examples, in addition to the Aramis line, would be Azzaro pour homme (fresher), Drakkar (similar to Azzaro, but a little heavier and darker), Kouros (very butch animalic); a little more difficult to find, but equally great, are Yatagan (vegetal woody) and Troisieme homme (citrusy musky).

cacio

Default Re: Cologne recommendation? ( very detailed because i'm looking for one that "fits" me )

Aventus maybe. I do not usually recommend it due to its price, and I am not in love with it. But a lot of people do love it. I seem to get a little bit of pineapple and then I get mostly ash after that. The fact that you smoke made me think of Aventus, due to the ash that I get from it. If you do decide on Aventus, definitely check batches. Some are ashier, and others have more pineapple.

Sound Scents

Definitely the Aramis line recommendation is a good one. My own recommendation is Costume National Homme. It is reasonably priced at around $60 or less at discounters and its warm spices should complement the tobacco while having enough strength to cut through the smoke, so to speak...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

If you want something to compliment your style, I'd look, as cacio said, at the 70s and 80s released colognes which tend to be more masculine smelling than what it's released these days.

Azzaro pour Homme
    Cartier Santos
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Antaeus
    Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories (a niche one that I think would fit you well but you need balls to wear as a daily scent)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

Even though there's not much of a problem with smoking in general, older perfumes (ie those done in the 70s and 80s) were designed with smokers in mind, so perhaps they're a better fit. Easy to find examples, in addition to the Aramis line, would be Azzaro pour homme (fresher), Drakkar (similar to Azzaro, but a little heavier and darker), Kouros (very butch animalic); a little more difficult to find, but equally great, are Yatagan (vegetal woody) and Troisieme homme (citrusy musky).

cacio
    Welcome Powderhound! I was thinking the same frags, adding YSL's Rive Gauche Pour Homme (lovely barber shop scent), as Cacio as they are all more or less powerhouses and maybe Givenchy Gentlemen (classic style, but slightly heavy) or Ungaro III for the evening or going out to combat any smoke odor and just right for the cold weather.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Welcome! Perhaps Carbone de Balmain or Graphite by Montana

huh.... I'm going in a different direction here. Try Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. simple citrus with a little ashy/tobacco/vetiver thing. It's casual but classy, never out of place for any season or occasion and not too expensive. Check it out at Sephora or something.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Overcome By Fumes

Mugler AMen Pure Leather

Bleu de Chanel is nice and very versatile. Might work for ya.
    But if you want a cheaper, real masculine, "powerhouse" type frag, try VanCleef & Arpels pour homme, Sung Homme, Bogart pour homme, or Quorum. The last 2 would work well with cig smoke... the Bogart is a cherry pipe tobacco scent, and Quorum is pretty heavy on the patchouli.

CologneFan85

The downside is you smoking...But hmmm I say YSL Libre

I don't know any fragrance that works particularly well with cigarette smoke, so I'll my recommendation is based on your location, look, and climate:

Terre D'Hermes

Thierry Mugler - pure havane

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    If you want something to compliment your style, I'd look, as cacio said, at the 70s and 80s released colognes which tend to be more masculine smelling than what it's released these days.

Azzaro pour Homme
    Cartier Santos
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Antaeus
    Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories (a niche one that I think would fit you well but you need balls to wear as a daily scent)
    I would say Bel Ami by Hermes. Equipage by Herme with slight ashtray note would fit also

- - - Updated - - -

Tuscan leather would also be perfect