Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - December 2012

Very late start to the thread this month, it seems that, like me, everyone is busy preparing for the festive season!

But l found some time in my busy schedule today to test L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris. This was one of many "skanky" scents recommended to me by L'Aventurier in his "Personality Questions" thread.

From the outset, this is a soft, sweet, musky, animalic, very slightly floral, intimate skin scent. As it develops, l get powder along with just a touch of smoke or incense, & later on a little ambery vanilla. l don't detect the neroli at all. lt's still wafting nicely four hours in, & l suspect it will last a while longer.

ln comparing this with other animalic fragrances l've tried, l'd say it's closest to Bal a Versailles, more so than Musc Ravageur. lt's also *far* less dirty than MKK. l find L'Air de Rien to be much more wearable in public than any of these, the animalic notes being much more subtle, & only really detectable when sniffed up close. Softly sexy, & rather comforting, l like this a lot!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - December 2012

teardrop, I was noticing that we had not mustered up a thread this month But I have been doing some sampling also and will get some thoughts up within the next day or two.

Nice write up teardrop - I completely agree, it's a very softly animalic fragrance, ever so slightly "soiled" and the rest is sweet powder and amber.
    I'll be sure to post some thoughts on here too soon

Blog Entries

Thanks cello & freddie, l look forward to reading more thoughts from you both!

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Tuesday 18th) l tried Lumiere Noire pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

l find this to be quite a fresh, cool, soapy but elegant rose; a much "cleaner" scent than l was expecting. More of a pale pink or white rose than a dark, ruby red. There's a hint of sweet fruit in the heart, along with a narcissus which is beautiful but devoid of any dirtiness. ln the base, the patchouli is barely detectable & again, very clean, not earthy at all. The projection is low, & four hours in it's barely there.

l think l need to try this one in warmer weather, as l suspect a little heat may bring out more of the darkness & dirt that l craved from it. And for me this is definitely more of a spring/summer fragrance than a winter one.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Today l tried Absolue pour le Soir by MFK.

This is serious skank; urinous honey, sweaty cumin, dirty civet, the lot! After 30 minutes or so it all begins to sweeten, & the heart is a rich, animalic blend of incense, powder, woods & benzoin. The floral notes are very much in the background, & from here it slowly settles in linear fashion, with a touch of salty-sweet ambergris in the base. The projection is moderate, & five hours in it's still going nicely.

The overall feel of this one is thick, dense & golden, as wonderfully warm & comforting as snuggling by the fire while wrapped in furs, as the winter rages outside. l find the opening a little challenging, but the drydown is fabulously opulent, like Bal a Versailles on steroids. l'm not sure l'd wear this often, but l do think it's a bit special.

l've also worked out how to get around the "update" feature, people! You just click on "Reply" in the grey box at the bottom of the previous post, instead of going to the "Reply to Thread" box, yay!
    Last edited by teardrop; 27th December 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi all! Today I went shopping around the city and tried on the new Jour d'Hermes, which seems to be exclusive to the Hermes boutiques as of now, but I'm just guessing because I didn't see it anywhere else.

On paper, it was a realistic juicy orange - simple but incredibly nice. On my skin, it had more of a plasticky undertone, a pleasant but unusual artificiality that didn't turn me away, but that definitely wasn't as nice as it had smelled on paper. Given time to settle, it ended up as a sweet mandarin orange smell, like the smell of those little "Cuties" mandarins they sell by the box. Once the citrus burned off, it ended up as an aquatic floral, a mix of melon and cucumber and apple mixing with subtle lilies.

Like many Hermes perfumes now, it had elements of other Hermes scents in it to give it a certain familiarity. The cucmber/melon mix reminded me of Un Jardin Apres La Mousson (but without the masculinizing pepper) and the aquatic apple reminded me of Un Jardin Sur La Toit. All told, I enjoyed Jour d'Hermes, but didn't find it compelling enough to imagine myself wanting to wear it repeatedly. That being said, for fans of the Jardin line, it will likely be a new favorite.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??