Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 108
  1. #1

    Default uh oh Duchaufour

    I suppose he is only following the money, like most others:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8210902.html

  2. #2

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    So his other perfumes were made for free then?

    for swap/sale:





  3. #3

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So his other perfumes were made for free then?
    Not suggesting that at all. He is in a position to choose whom he works for though, being one of the brightest stars of the current perfumers' firmament.
    Also, thought this article may have been of some interest to some on this forum...

  4. #4
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    All perfumers follow the money I assume. So do I in my work. It seems Duchaufour is willing to work for tyrants' spoiled daughters to get it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  5. #5

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quite a stomach-turning read. Thanks for posting.

  6. #6
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,354
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Strange and incomprehensible. Not an association I would want.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Strange and incomprehensible. Not an association I would want.
    Same here.

  8. #8

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I've just finished reading the Italian version of this article, on the homepage of most known daily newspaper in Italy Corriere della Sera. I wish I'd found a perfumer's name in a better circumstance!

    I find it, at the very least, sad and vulgar.
    Sad, because BD is acting just like one of those "talented" young girls, very popular in my country during Berlusconi's regime, selling himself to the best offerer, no matter how compromised and publicly evil .
    Vulgar, because the choices of the lady in question seems to convey all the cheapness and squalor of a certain way of being a woman, and the idea of BD thinking that this is "femininity and sensuality"...

    PS: there seem to be also a man fragrance...

    http://www.uznews.net/news_single.ph...d=33&nid=20981
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

  9. #9

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    That was disturbing. Also disturbing: the report that Sting for a seven figure fee agreed to sit beside the daughter at a fashion show. I wonder whether this is true?

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    dusttdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Same here.
    +1 Wonder if maybe he didn't have so much of a choice....

  11. #11

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Certainly in poor taste, the money must have been very, very good. Duchaufour is the darling of so many of the perfeume blogs that this story will not get much mention; they don't want to miss out of future interviews or exclusive pre-launch samples.
    Last edited by furrypine; 15th October 2012 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Assuming that Sting did indeed get seven figures for an evening of his time, one can only imagine what Mr. Duchaufuor was paid to create something more than a lasting memory. I imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find a perfumer who wouldn't undertake such an assignment for a million dollars or more!

  13. #13

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    All perfumers follow the money I assume. So do I in my work. It seems Duchaufour is willing to work for tyrants' spoiled daughters to get it.
    I agree. I don't think it's much different from any other luxury company dealing with custom orders coming from the same clientele, the only difference being that they're discreet about it.

    Might be slightly OT, but it reminds me of all the pop stars getting six figures pay for singing a couple of songs at a random dictator's event. Not that far back, Britney Spears got a $1 mil paycheck for a wedding gig of a corrupt government official in neighbouring Kazakhstan. Not surprisingly, any kind of photography was strictly forbidden.

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,024

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

  15. #15

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    The more important question: would you hit it?

    Seriously, though, Duchaufour is making money in the same way Hermes, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc have over the decades when kleptocrats from Africa and all over the world have arrived in Paris and paid massive amounts of blood money for services and goods rendered.

  16. #16

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    The more important question: would you hit it?
    For a million bucks? Sure would!

  17. #17

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    If this is true, it is certainly disappointing. He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents. Perhaps I am displaying my complete naivete, but I believe that even in business, there is room for ethics and personal responsibility.

  18. #18

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Honestly, Eau d'Italie scents like Baume Au Doge, Sienna L'Hiver, and and Bois d'Ombrie already smell like they belong to a prisoner-boiling dictator, I'm just sorry reality caught up with the portraiture.

  19. #19

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Profoundly disappointing. If this were the 1930's, I guess Duchaufour wouldn't have had a problem concocting something for Eva Braun or Leni Riefenstahl. How else to afford your third vacation home!?

    We'd like to think that success affords us to live our principles to the fullest and without any compromise.

    And sadly, perhaps he is.

    Love his work but no company should touch this man with a 10 foot pole. There are some things more important than perfume.

  20. #20

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Not suggesting that at all. He is in a position to choose whom he works for though, being one of the brightest stars of the current perfumers' firmament.
    Exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I've just finished reading the Italian version of this article, on the homepage of most known daily newspaper in Italy Corriere della Sera. I wish I'd found a perfumer's name in a better circumstance!

    I find it, at the very least, sad and vulgar.
    Sad, because BD is acting just like one of those "talented" young girls, very popular in my country during Berlusconi's regime, selling himself to the best offerer, no matter how compromised and publicly evil .
    Vulgar, because the choices of the lady in question seems to convey all the cheapness and squalor of a certain way of being a woman, and the idea of BD thinking that this is "femininity and sensuality"...

    PS: there seem to be also a man fragrance...

    http://www.uznews.net/news_single.ph...d=33&nid=20981
    Exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Strange and incomprehensible. Not an association I would want.
    Exactly. Bad move Mr. Duchaufour.

    Exactly!


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  21. #21
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,859

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    .........He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents..........
    Not necessarily.

    He's connected to a lot of entities in the perfume industry and most likely has obligations to some of them.

  22. #22

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    This is really appalling. L'Artisan Parfumeur should dress him down, because this reflects on their brand as well. I can't imagine that BD would do this if his own son had to labor as a slave in Googoosha's cotton fields each summer.... Artists have to, above all people, care about who their clients and patrons are. If they don't care, we really are doomed as a civilization.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    dusttdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Yes, I really believe if this guy is as bad as everyone is saying, I'm fairly certain Duchaufour wouldn't be allowed to refuse him, nor say anything bad about him. It sounds like he's possibly "enslaved" Duchaufour because he IS such an artistic master. That only makes me think even more that Duchaufour shouldn't be judged for what's happening, but rather, maybe we should have compassion and concern for him.

  24. #24

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    If this is true, it is certainly disappointing. He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents. Perhaps I am displaying my complete naivete, but I believe that even in business, there is room for ethics and personal responsibility.
    Agreed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Certainly in poor taste, the money must have been very, very good. Duchaufour is the darling of so many of the perfeume blogs that this story will not get much mention; they don't want to miss out of future interviews or exclusive pre-launch samples.
    That's the world of fragrance blogs for you...

  25. #25

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by dusttdust View Post
    Yes, I really believe if this guy is as bad as everyone is saying, I'm fairly certain Duchaufour wouldn't be allowed to refuse him, nor say anything bad about him. It sounds like he's possibly "enslaved" Duchaufour because he IS such an artistic master. That only makes me think even more that Duchaufour shouldn't be judged for what's happening, but rather, maybe we should have compassion and concern for him.
    Nonsense. Do you have any facts at all to back up that fantasy scenario? I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but my guess is he did it for the money.

  26. #26

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Quite a stomach-turning read. Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Strange and incomprehensible. Not an association I would want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    If this is true, it is certainly disappointing. He is certainly in a position to choose whom and what values he represents. Perhaps I am displaying my complete naivete, but I believe that even in business, there is room for ethics and personal responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Exactly



    Exactly



    Exactly. Bad move Mr. Duchaufour.

    Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This is really appalling. L'Artisan Parfumeur should dress him down, because this reflects on their brand as well. I can't imagine that BD would do this if his own son had to labor as a slave in Googoosha's cotton fields each summer.... Artists have to, above all people, care about who their clients and patrons are. If they don't care, we really are doomed as a civilization.
    So then, is it all talk or are you going to put your mouth where your principles are?

    I'm assuming you're going to boycott Duchafour, and by association, L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes.


    Good news everyone else, the For Sale section is going to be flowing with Duchafour bottles.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 16th October 2012 at 03:33 PM.

    for swap/sale:





  27. #27
    Basenotes Plus
    dusttdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Nonsense. Do you have any facts at all to back up that fantasy scenario? I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but my guess is he did it for the money.
    I have just as many facts to back up the things that are speculated in this article. I am trying not to judge people based on such little information. I'm not defending his decision, I'm just saying I'm sure the issue isn't so black and white and people shouldn't be so quick to judge.

    Would you consider that nonsense, Kagey?

  28. #28

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So then, is it all talk or are you going to put your mouth where your principles are?

    I'm assuming you're going to boycott Duchafour, and by association, L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes.


    Good news everyone else, the For Sale section is going to be flowing with Duchafour bottles.
    LOL! spot on. so he did it for the money, so he's prostituted himself, soooo what??.. it's not the first time and won't be the last. the last time i've checked, we live in a pretty materialistic, cynical world, why do all of you find this so surprising or shocking? sorry, but i haven't batted an eyelid when reading this article. sad, maybe. but that's about it.
    there are a lot more pressing, urgent and tragic matters in this world that need and should be addressed and this is not one of them. rich guy doing something for another rich guy, my heart cries rivers.
    Last edited by danny1967; 16th October 2012 at 04:06 PM.

  29. #29

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I saw my post cited above

    (BTW, I opened my sentence with "If this is true," because the short article is all I see right now. It would be interesting if the information could be verified.)

    I realize that we live in a selfish and materialistic world, but we are not merely consumers or social puppets. We do have some limited agency. I don't wear, for example, fur coats. I avoid companies that have been implicated in the exploitation of child labor. I don't eat meat, and if I must, I buy cage-free eggs because I don't like cruelty to animals. I am not responsible for other people's actions, and I cannot control other people's actions but just because there is selfishness out there, it doesn't mean that we should all accept it as something we shouldn't even question. In the end of the day, we decide what's important and what not to us.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 16th October 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp

  30. #30

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I saw my post cited above

    (BTW, I opened my sentence with "If this is true," because the short article is all I see right now. It would be interesting if the information could be verified.)

    I realize that we live in a selfish and materialistic world, but we are not merely consumers or social puppets. We do have some limited agency. I don't wear, for example, fur coats. I avoid companies that have been implicated in the exploitation of child labor. I don't eat meat, and if I must, I buy cage-free egs because I don't like cruelty to animals. I am not responsible for other people's actions, and I cannot control other people's actions but just because there is selfishness out there, it doesn't mean that we should all accept it as something we shouldn't even question. In the end of the day, we decide what's important and what not to us.

    agreed.

    i get first cherry picking of your Duchafour bottles though, right.

    for swap/sale:





  31. #31

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I'll have to double-check, but I don't think I have Duchaufour bottles. I like his perfumes as concepts, but I find them difficult to wear (a completely unrelated detail to the discussion above).

  32. #32

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So then, is it all talk or are you going to put your mouth where your principles are?

    I'm assuming you're going to boycott Duchafour, and by association, L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes.


    Good news everyone else, the For Sale section is going to be flowing with Duchafour bottles.
    No, I don't think I'll boycott Duchaufour fragrances- his are the most consistent in my collection- nor the houses that are working with him, as I won't stop listening to Wagner because of his racist ideas.
    I'm just sad to see his venality, and every time I'll be admiring his ability to produce a mood or an exotic scenario, I couldn't help feeling a bit uneasy, thinking of how easily he interpreted the dreams of a dictator's daughter!!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

  33. #33

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I would like to see this verified or refuted - I am skeptical of what I read. There is always so much more to a story than is reported. In the meantime...I for one will think twice about Duchafour, and Sting.

  34. #34
    Basenotes Member muskymoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Luckily for BD, he presumably lives in a free country and has the choice of saying no, as we all do in free societies. This isn't some sort of Bourne movie where the banana republic dictator kidnapped BD and forced him to perfume his trampy daughter in some sort of 3rd world perfume lab guarded by toothless grunts with AK47s.

    And, for what it's worth, I'm ultra happy that my mother had the courage to take me out of the Soviet Union in 1979 so that I wouldn't have had to grow up in such an environment of fear and oppression.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”


    ― C. JoyBell C.

  35. #35
    Basenotes Plus
    dusttdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by muskymoi View Post
    Luckily for BD, he presumably lives in a free country and has the choice of saying no, as we all do in free societies. This isn't some sort of Bourne movie where the banana republic dictator kidnapped BD and forced him to perfume his trampy daughter in some sort of 3rd world perfume lab guarded by toothless grunts with AK47s.
    Haha, I wonder if you are referencing what I proposed above? Seriously though, I wasn't saying that, but that was an excellent movie adaption of it! I'm just saying that if someone that skummy and sketchy asked you to do something specifically for his daughter, I would think twice about refusing him because of his power and craziness. And it looks like from the article below that it was his daughter that hired Duchaufour.

    I am very very grateful that I live in a free country where I can even type such things on the internet and I in no way support Duchaufour working for this guy's daughter, but I do feel like someone would be in an awful spot if they were approached by some of Gulnara Karimova's goons.

    Here's the other article I was referencing:
    http://www.thenonblonde.com/2012/10/...uchaufour.html

  36. #36
    Basenotes Member muskymoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by dusttdust View Post
    Haha, I wonder if you are referencing what I proposed above? Seriously though, I wasn't saying that, but that was an excellent movie adaption of it! I'm just saying that if someone that skummy and sketchy asked you to do something specifically for his daughter, I would think twice about refusing him because of his power and craziness. And it looks like from the article below that it was his daughter that hired Duchaufour.

    I am very very grateful that I live in a free country where I can even type such things on the internet and I in no way support Duchaufour working for this guy's daughter, but I do feel like someone would be in an awful spot if they were approached by some of Gulnara Karimova's goons.

    Here's the other article I was referencing:
    http://www.thenonblonde.com/2012/10/...uchaufour.html
    Sorry Dusttdust, i didn't read all the posts, just skimmed. I was being jokey before, but, I think that he could have made the "hero" decision and said NO in the face of potential danger and fear for his own safety. How many people in history have done so, said NO, and are admired for it now as opposed to those who have buckled to pressure and then admired for it? the numbers would be in favor of the former.

    Admittedly, this is all conjecture and we may just have really good imaginations or have seen too many action films.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”


    ― C. JoyBell C.

  37. #37

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Hedonist 222, I don't know if you were being facetious or not when you asked us if we'd take any concrete actions, but it's a very good question. I don't have any BD or LaP perfumes on my wish list, so I had to ask myself if my favorite perfumer, Calice Becker, did something like BD did, would I no longer buy her work? I would be very sad, but the answer is yes, I would no longer buy those perfumes. I can spend my hard-earned perfume money on any number of other perfumers' works whose values are more allied with mine. It does matter to me what an artist does, and who they do it for, and this is just awful. I've done as much fact-checking as possible and this story seems to be true. It's in the press all over Europe, Eurasia, and India.

  38. #38

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Mr. Duchaufour probably won't get my business anymore either. I grew up in an oppressive country and the description of Uzbekistan under Islam Karimov gives me uncomfortable flashbacks.

  39. #39

    Default

    It may not be the crime of the century but it is certainly highly morally-questionable. Cynical blind-eye turning and fantastical excuses are not for me, so I look forward to Duchaufour exercising his right of reply, which he has declined to do so far.

  40. #40
    Basenotes Member muskymoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It may not be the crime of the century but it is certainly highly morally-questionable. Cynical blind-eye turning and fantastical excuses are not for me, so I look forward to Duchaufour exercising his right of reply, which he has declined to do so far.
    I'm hitting the virtual "like" button.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”


    ― C. JoyBell C.

  41. #41

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    LOL! spot on. so he did it for the money, so he's prostituted himself, soooo what??.. it's not the first time and won't be the last. the last time i've checked, we live in a pretty materialistic, cynical world, why do all of you find this so surprising or shocking? sorry, but i haven't batted an eyelid when reading this article. sad, maybe. but that's about it.
    there are a lot more pressing, urgent and tragic matters in this world that need and should be addressed and this is not one of them. rich guy doing something for another rich guy, my heart cries rivers.
    It's not the world that's cynical, it's people, but only when they choose to let things like this slide, usually because it's the easier thing to do. I personally don't think any perfume is worth the ethical dilemma of supporting a supporter of tyranny ...which is actually an urgent and tragic matter, imo. Unfortunately, life is fraught with such moral and ethical considerations, some bigger than others, but ignoring them by simply stating "that's the way the world is" just so you can buy a bottle of perfume without feeling guilty does nothing to stop the cynicism, or the tyranny - it perpetuates it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

  42. #42

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Very well stated, Evangeline. The world is what we collectively make of it, and even our small choices mean something.

  43. #43

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Thanks Elf. I actually meant to give you the thumbs-up for this -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This is really appalling. L'Artisan Parfumeur should dress him down, because this reflects on their brand as well. I can't imagine that BD would do this if his own son had to labor as a slave in Googoosha's cotton fields each summer.... Artists have to, above all people, care about who their clients and patrons are. If they don't care, we really are doomed as a civilization.
    Back when I had clients as part of my livelihood, I refused a certain prominent member of the KKK, one who happened to have very deep pockets. Had I worked with him, I would have earned some money and a certain bit of notoriety, but I would have lost peace of mind. My peace of mind is eminently more valuable, and I still have it ...which is a lot more than I can say for the money I would have earned. Money comes and goes, but we have to live with our personal choices for the rest of our lives.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

  44. #44
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,354
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    This has spoiled Avignon for me. My bottle is in the doghouse...on my "used to own" list-- while I decide whether to throw it away or give it to my husband. But then I would have to smell it on him. I'm seriously leaning toward tossing it.

    L'Artisan is not to blame for Duchafour's decision.


  45. #45

    Default

    I actually wore a Duchaufour creation today as I didn't make the connection until later: I was in a hurry when I read this post and am bad with names. Now I feel uncomfortable about wearing it again and don't see myself doing so.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 16th October 2012 at 09:22 PM.

  46. #46

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I would like to see this verified or refuted - I am skeptical of what I read. There is always so much more to a story than is reported. In the meantime...I for one will think twice about Duchafour, and Sting.
    Wow, this article hit home...hard...literally...and figuratively.

    I am from Uzbekistan: born and raised. My most favorite artist: Sting. My most favorite perfumer: Douchaufour.

    I don't know what to say, as I am bit overrun with emotions. I was growing up without any hopes for bright future and I saw the fall of Soviet Union, the first celebration of "independence" day. I was just a little girl and remember the atmosphere of festivity, horses with colorful bows and flowers woven in their manes and tails. People all dressed up and happy flooding the streets, hoping for a brighter future...that never came. No jobs, no economy to speak of, the rumored $13 billions on president's Swiss bank accounts. People are more afraid of police than criminals. It took me years to shake off elevated heart bit when seeing sheriffs cars on a road when I done nothing wrong. It was Mr. Sting's music and lyrics that gave me hope, that showed me the light, that gave me strength in times of darkness. I was his avid fan for many years. That what hurts the most, not what Mr. Duchaufour did, though I can't believe he would create a perfume for Gulnara. I heard much about her through a friend of mine, she used to suffocate everyone around her with a generous application of Coco M. I guess she went niche now...

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    L'Artisan is not to blame for Duchafour's decision.
    I agree. Though I am very happy that Iris Pallida wasn't created by Mr. Duchaufour, I would have been heartbroken.

    As for whether Mr. Duchafour was afraid for his safety, I seriously doubt that. Mr. Karimov has reach, but not that far. I think besides money Mr. Duchafour was attracted by perceived "exotique" of little known to Westerners place with Middle Eastern culture with which both Sting and Duchafour are so enamored with. And on top of it all Uzbek people have very smooth tounges and know how to perfectly flatter artist's fragile ego. If I was in Tashkent and knew Mr. Duchafour was in town and there was a possibility that I could meet him, you bet I would go. My love for perfume is stronger than my judgment of his questionable choices. However, I would avoid Mr. Sting...When I went to his concert here in the states I tasted the tears of freedom - that I broke away from the darkness, that life is good, and my future is bright. But I guess, Mr . Sting is only a man who professes his love for sex and rainforests, but can be corrupted just like many Uzbek men I knew.

    But I wanted to add that we shouldn't judge them both, especially Duchaufour harshly. Uzbek government have a wonderful way of presenting only beautiful side of things and impressing the foreigners when it suits them. I can't imagine Duchaufour reading up on any bit of news that can and sometimes is distorted in order to decide whether to make a perfume for a remote and intriguing celebrity.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 16th October 2012 at 09:50 PM.

  47. #47

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Hear, hear, Elf and Evangeline.

    Whitefluffy, thank you for sharing your experience/views.

    This is very interesting. I'd love to hear/read what Mr. Duchafour and Sting have to say on ethical choices for artists, especially Sting as he is supposed to be such a philanthropist and activist for human rights.

  48. #48
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,354
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I'm sorry for the way this impacts you, whitefluffy. Whatever feelings I may have about the whole thing can only be a mere shadow of yours.


  49. #49

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Whitefluffy, I've been waiting to read a post here from you. What a bunch of whammies all at once. I'm sorry Sting is ruined for you; I think maybe Coco M. is for me. Thank you for sharing your experience here, it illustrates why our little choices do indeed matter. Glad to hear your perfumes are not ruined for you!

    Sorry about Avignon, 30R. I remember how happy you were to get your bottle.

    Duchaufour's style is not really me, I am off the hook for deciding whether to buy. Will say this makes me uninterested in trying any more of his works; association with tyranny is a big deal to me. At the same time, even though I love my Chanel fragrances, I hate that the woman herself was an anti-Semitic homophobe. I know she did not create these perfumes and was dead before I was born but it still bugs me. I console myself with reminders that 2 Jewish men made much more money from her perfumes than she did. Therefore, no judgment from me toward those who still love BD's perfumes. And I do admire those of you who are willing to give them up.
    The nose wants what it wants!

  50. #50
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,354
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    ...
    But I wanted to add that we shouldn't judge them both, especially Duchaufour harshly. Uzbek government have a wonderful way of presenting only beautiful side of things and impressing the foreigners when it suits them. I can't imagine Duchaufour reading up on any bit of news that can and sometimes is distorted in order to decide whether to make a perfume for a remote and intriguing celebrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    ...
    This is very interesting. I'd love to hear/read what Mr. Duchafour and Sting have to say on ethical choices for artists, especially Sting as he is supposed to be such a philanthropist and activist for human rights.

    If you can say this, whitefluffy, having grown up there, then I will also try to wait and see what he has to say about it.


  51. #51

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I'd love to hear/read what Mr. Duchafour and Sting have to say on ethical choices for artists, especially Sting as he is supposed to be such a philanthropist and activist for human rights.
    Exactly, lilybelle! Sting inspired me, not just by his music but his views as well. He should have known better! Yes, he is ruined for me...

    PerfumedLady Please, do not give up Coco M! It wasn't specifically created by the house of Chanel for her, and they have no control over who buys it. You love it so much, and it's a great scent! While in Tashkent I used to douse myself with it too, about the same time frame she did, and I enjoyed it very much!!!

    30 Roses thank you for understanding. I might come across as a bit softhearted, but I really want to give Mr. Duchaufour the benefit of the doubt.

  52. #52

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    The world would be bereft of much art - much that is beautiful, inspiring, uplifting, transcendent, mysterious - if the artist's work was judged by the artist's failings as a human being. We are all human, and we all err. It is a fine line, a delicate balance. We all walk that line. I would still like to know more of the story here.

  53. #53
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,354
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I have no guilty conscience about a scent I bought 2 years ago.

    I just don't wish to be reminded of people being boiled alive each time I spray on Avignon.

    Just because we can't fix everything in the world that is amiss doesn't mean we aren't entitled to our feelings, without being called hypocrites.


  54. #54

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    danny1967,
    Please do not use profanity and imply that other people responding to this thread are hypocrites. You don't know our practices and choices. You can't make that determination. For example, my family actually avoid all the products you listed, for the reasons stated (except Disney, I disagree on that one). Keep it civil, my friend! You opinion is welcome, but insults are not.

  55. #55
    Ursula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flushing,NY/USA
    Posts
    727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    I would try the scent for examining the "juice". If it agrees with my skin, get a small decant, and put it into my own glamorous bottle.
    Forget all associations and conscience, just enjoy the product.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

  56. #56

    Default

    Numerous wrongs do not make a right but do serve to obfuscate the argument and deflect the spotlight from M. Duchaufour. J-P Guerlain has been tried, convicted, fined; he apologised and links with LVMH were severed 2 years ago. No remotely comparable fate has yet befallen the subject of this discussion. Now I am interested in what, if anything, he has to say on this unedifying episode. Others may not care; so be it.
    As for giving away perfumes previously-purchased, it is difficult to see who will benefit from this other than the recipient; truly an empty gesture, based on a specious argument. But future purchases are a different matter!

  57. #57

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    No remotely comparable fate has yet befallen the subject of this discussion. Now I am interested in what, if anything, he has to say on this unedifying episode. Others may not care; so be it.
    As for giving away perfumes previously-purchased, it is difficult to see who will benefit from this other than the recipient; truly an empty gesture, based on a specious argument. But future purchases are a different matter!
    Hear! Hear! My thoughts exactly.
    It would be good for Duchaufour to address this storm directly. So far we only have the guff promoting his creations for Ms Karimova.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    No remotely comparable fate has yet befallen the subject of this discussion. Now I am interested in what, if anything, he has to say on this unedifying episode. Others may not care; so be it.
    As for giving away perfumes previously-purchased, it is difficult to see who will benefit from this other than the recipient; truly an empty gesture, based on a specious argument. But future purchases are a different matter!
    Hear! Hear! My thoughts exactly.
    It would be good for Duchaufour to address this storm directly. So far we only have the guff promoting his creations for Ms Karimova.

  58. #58
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    in taiwan they are getting paid 50 cents an hour. nike are aware of this but they are and will not do anything about it (see articles in dailymail, metro, guardian, educatingforjustice.org, etc, etc,etc).
    Wages are not great in Taiwan by any means, but it's not this bad. We have a minimum wage which is the equivalent of just over $3/US per hour. I believe what you are referring to are factories operating in Indonesia, privately owned by rich (and unethical) Taiwanese businessmen.

    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ion/?mobile=nc
    Last edited by morrison74; 17th October 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  59. #59

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    ...
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 29th October 2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: no longer relevant

  60. #60

    Default Re: uh oh Duchaufour

    Don't feed the trolling comments...
    Last edited by Ascella; 17th October 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Why I love Bertrand Duchaufour.
    By kewart in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th October 2011, 02:20 AM
  2. Yet another from Duchaufour
    By chaplain in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th April 2011, 04:22 PM
  3. Buxton v. Duchaufour. Bring it On!!!
    By the_good_life in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th December 2008, 01:55 PM
  4. An Interview with Bertrand Duchaufour
    By Grant in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th August 2008, 04:22 AM
  5. Questions for Bertrand Duchaufour?
    By mikeperez23 in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st July 2008, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •