Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Thoughts about reformulation

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Recently purchased Paco Rabanne pour Homme and Givenchy Gentleman. Both were so vilely re formulated I was really unhappy. E mailed Puig and LMVH expressing my dissatisfaction and did not receive a reply. Went so far as to tell them it was unfair to consumers not to advise a " try before you buy" since it is not the same fragrance purchased the last time. They really don't want to admit to any reformulations and differences in previous vintages. Sad.
    I feel your frustration. I emailed Dior and asked them if they thought fahrenheit had been reformulated and they said it hasn't. Who are they kidding? Do these big companies actually believe they can fool us?

I think I have penetrated the linguistic subtleties of all this.

Reformulation means changing the formula. The recipe. This might be changing rose for lavender, or apples for oranges.

However, getting rid of the Taif Rose essence and replacing it with a nice new synthetic rose, or . . . when it comes to making a good Screwdriver, switching the pure juice squeezed from fresh oranges just off the plane from Italy for O.J from the supermarket fridge at the mall is not reformulation . . . the recipe has not changed, just the quality of the ingredients. And we decided to 'hold the vodka' a bit, so the quantity has changed a bit, too.

Same formula, though

Basenotes Plus

Can we get a list of the 'best' - or most important - fragrances which are most at risk for reformulation, so we can stock them up?
    Please, please!
    Last edited by farang; 30th December 2012 at 03:20 AM.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Quote Originally Posted by farang View Post
    Can we get a list of the 'best' - or most important - fragrances which are most at risk for reformulation, so we can stock them up?
    Please, please!
    That is subjective! Obviously, the ones that are on the hypothetical list include Chanel No. 5, Shalimar, Mitsouko, etc., but when it comes to "men's" scents it's much less clear. Kouros might be one but probably most guys today would not even consider wearing it. Chanel Pour Monsieur might be as well, and a lot of people seem to think so because the prices are shooting through the roof on that one on ebay (likely due to oakmoss restrictions).

The ones I have been backing up which will take a hit if oakmoss is restricted further (or banned outright) include:

Sous le Vent (Guerlain)
    Granville (Dior)
    Tiffany for Men

I don't know about the Aramis line. These are such classic masculines and seem to still be pretty robust - but if you have a particular favourite it might not hurt to play safe. Dunno why these are still so good (relatively speaking). The Brasil Dream for Men from Lauder (same company as Aramis) is also excellent - where the hell did that come from? Slipped thru from the early 80's somehow . . .

I am less familiar with the restrictions on key citrus elements which will affect bergamot etc. but I suspect stuff like Eau de Guerlain, Bigarade Concentree and other seriously good citrus numbers would be worth watching - this is pure speculation on my part, though.