Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Recommendation

Hey everyone, so I'm not super new to this hobby anymore, and I've been starting to want to collect bottles from different houses, and now that I've gotten a few Creeds, I'd like to purchase myself a Chanel fragrance, at least potentially. The thing is, I have no idea what to test or what is good from the house. I hear Egoiste is nice, but it's hard to find, let alone sample. I also hear mixed reviews for its flanker (platinum) and for Bleu which I tried a few years ago and thought was just okay. It's also probably worth noting that I am not a fan of aquatics.

So, any suggestions? Feel free to look at my wardrobe and offer me things that may work well in there.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Recommendation

You may want to give Antaeus and Sycomore a try if you have not already sniffed them...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

CologneFan85

I agree Bleu is mediocre

Post Thanks / Like

In the mainstream line, I'd also vote for Egoiste and Antaeus (yes, the regular Egoiste, not the Platinum version, which is a little simpler and sharper). Egoiste is warm, rich, sandalwoody, with a touch of candied fruits, Antaeus spicy and bolder. They should be available at Bloomingdale, some Saks, Neimans, and Nordstroms, and the Chanel boutiques. The other mainstream masculine tend to be a touch too commercial (and fresh sporty) for my tastes.

In the exclusif line, Sycomore (vetiver) and Cuir de Russie (supersmooth leather). If you like patch, also Coromandel (rich patch). And other as well. Unfortunately, they are available only from Chanel boutiques or online. But they are actually much cheaper than Creeds.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

The official Basenotes answer is to stay away from Bleu de Chanel and anything from the Allure line and go with Antaeus or Pour Monsieur instead. However, I personally think Allure Homme, Edition Blanche, Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Egoiste, and Egoiste are great. I also like Sycamore, Cuir de Russie, and Coromandel from their Exclusif line.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Sycomore

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore
    Coromandel

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste and Antaeus to start with, both are available online from Chanel website.

Then from the exclusive collection, Sycomore, Bois des Iles and Coromandel are worth looking at.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

No. 19

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Antaeus and/or Pour Monsieur.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentree are completely different fragrances with the latter being much more available in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Be aware that Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentree are completely different fragrances with the latter being much more available in the US.
    Agreed. Pour Monsieur is fantastic. The Concentree is meh.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore. Coromandel. An Egoiste of your choice. I think Platinum is still really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Imho, all the Chanel masculines are great for what they are. So Bleu and Allure being a little more generic may not please many lovers of the abstruse, but they're still very well made and they have a good deal more depth than most scents in the same style. That said beyond exclusives Anteus and Egoiste are Chanel's best (imho) Egoiste is possibly the best non-vintage designer fragrance around.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus is one of the best I've found. The rest of the masculines have not impressed me. No. 5 is really good but I don't have the courage to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Edition blanche

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Antaeus is great especially if you like leather and masculine scent, sample it if you can find it. The same thing for Egoiste (regular), although I think it is not liked by everyone. I was at Nordstrom once with a non-BN friend and asked him to test Egoiste, and the top notes turned him off almost immediately.

I like Bleu de Chanel -- it is clean, versatile, and pleasant. I don't like Allure Homme Sport though, but the AHS Extreme can stand on its own. It is sweet and balmy, with a really good projection and longevity.

As for the Exclusif line, Coromandel is the one that I really like. My skin and nose do not go well together with Sycomore despite its popularity here. Try it if you like a Vetiver-dominant fragrance.

Good luck to you, and please do update us after your Chanel purchase!

I won't add anymore recommendations, as they're all already covered...but, as far as ordering, why not just order direct off the Chanel Website? Since they're rarely discounted anyway, you know you're getting a fresh, authentic product from Chanel, and I hear you get nice packaging from them as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Edition Blanche
    Sport
    Egoist
    Sycomore

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    No. 19
    I agree with Sycomore, Antaeus, Egoiste, and especially Coromandel - and to a degree Cuir de Russie (although there are better leathers in my opinion; there are better vetivers than Sycomore while I'm at it), but thought No. 19 needed to be included. There are few chypres of this quality. I primarily wear it in the summer when it really shines and save Coromandel for cooler weather. No. 19 is likely my favorite chypre ever.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Post Thanks / Like

Bois des Iles is a wonderful sandalwood scent. A lot of people describe it as a cousin of Egoiste, and I can definitely see that, but BdI is a far better fragrance IMO. (Full disclosure: I'm one of those rare Basenoters who actually dislike Egoiste. The sandalwood is strong and headache-inducing for me.)

If you're adventurous and want to try something that leans a bit more feminine, Chanel No. 22 is very, very good. One of my colleagues at work recently complimented me on this. Interestingly, he described it as "very gentlemanly."

And as many others have already said, Coromandel is an amazing patchouli scent.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked Allure Homme Sport over Bleu de Chanel but went with Bleu for 2 reasons: It was more appropriate for this time of the year and I needed a true "lady killer" fragrance to my collection since I felt like I didn't have one. The only other fragrance I've tried was Allure Homme and didn't really care too much for it.

Final vote would be for Sport though.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I liked Allure Homme Sport over Bleu de Chanel but went with Bleu for 2 reasons: It was more appropriate for this time of the year and I needed a true "lady killer" fragrance to my collection since I felt like I didn't have one. The only other fragrance I've tried was Allure Homme and didn't really care too much for it.

Final vote would be for Sport though.
    Excellent choice. Bleu is extremely versatile and my experience has been that most women enjoy the fragrance a great deal.

Not a big fan of the Chanel house. I can just say that their fragrances are quality in a bottle. I would recommend trying Egoist and Antaeus because those are the only once i would buy from the Chanel house.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently just bought Bleu de Chanel Myself. The only thing about it is that it's pretty common (at least 4 people bought it when I bought it that day). Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere is really nice layered with it, and if you're comfortable wearing a fragrance originally marketed for women, you could wear just No.5 Premiere by itself. Oh, and since you have creeds, have you tried layering Silver Mountain Water with Bleu? its not too bad =)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleu and Blanche smell great

The exclusif line is great, but overpriced in my opinion.

I would only recommand Antaeus and Egoiste.

Egoiste is much better than most niche fragrances IMO.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste is rather unique to me. The allure flankers are rather good too, Blanche stands out imo