Code of Conduct

Default Rate my collection, and help me pick my next buy

Hi. I am new (just made an account), but have been lurking for quite a while. I started experimenting with fragrance a few years back, and really love it. It is just as satisfying as chocolate, but doesn't have any calories!

I made it through my 20s clinging to the safe, predictable fragrances. Now I am starting to refine my tastes,and would love some feedback on things I should try. Fortunately for me, I live close to NYC and have access to a lot of great stores and boutiques.

This is what I started out with, and have evolved through:

Clinique Happy (this was my signature scent of my teens and early 20s)
    Clinique Happy Heart
    Burberry Brit
    Still own:
    YSL Parisienne (EdP)
    DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom (EdP)
    Coach (EdP the original fragrance)
    Victorias Secret Noir Tease (EdP this is my scent I would wear if I was in need of a quick trip to the store)
    Michael Kors Very Hollywood (EdP)
    Jimmy Choo (EdP)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible (EdT)
    Gucci Flora (EdP)
    Bvlgari pour femme (EdP)
    Chanel Chance Eau Tendre (EdT)
    Chanel Coco Madamoiselle (EdP, why do men love this one so much?)
    Gucci Flora Generous Violet (EdT)
    Chanel Coco (EdP)
    Agent Provocateur (EdP)
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (EdP)
    Chanel No 19 (Parfum)

I have a bag full of samples, and like some of the Jo Malones. I love florals, especially rose. As of late, I like things that seem like more traditional fragrances instead of sticky sweet (though that Jimmy Choo seems to draw a lot of compliments from men). I am think my next purchase will be Chanel No. 22. Anything I should seek out?

Default Re: Rate my collection, and help me pick my next buy

Welcome!

You've probably tried already some of the Chanel exclusives (like No 22), but if not, you could explore more (eg Cuir de Russie, Bois des Isles).

$$$, you could also try some Amouages (at Bergdorf Goodman or some niche boutiques like Aedes de Venustas or Min), like Ubar, Gold, Dia, etc.

cacio

I think your collection is interesting: florals, fruity-florals, orientals, chypres. It is quite varied and shows your wide spectrum of fragrant interests.

To answer your question about Mademoiselle, I think it is because the fragrance is sweet but with an unexpected intrusion of patchouli, quite smooth altogether.

Overall, you seem to like the classical French floral trio of rose, violet and jasmine. Please explore some niche scents with these notes. Cacio's Amouage line suggestion as well Chanel Exclusiffs is excellent (especially Coromandel and La Pausa, No.22 -- I am not sure what you are expecting from it -- is a white floral, quite penetrating at the start and drying down to powdery grown-up insence, very nice). Also try Histoires de Parfums, Frederic Malle, Parfums d'Empire, Les Parfums de Rosine. A person needs at least one Serge Lutens in their life and at least one L'Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I think your collection is interesting: florals, fruity-florals, orientals, chypres. It is quite varied and shows your wide spectrum of fragrant interests.

To answer your question about Mademoiselle, I think it is because the fragrance is sweet but with an unexpected intrusion of patchouli, quite smooth altogether.

Overall, you seem to like the classical French floral trio of rose, violet and jasmine. Please explore some niche scents with these notes. Cacio's Amouage line suggestion as well Chanel Exclusiffs is excellent (especially Coromandel and La Pausa, No.22 -- I am not sure what you are expecting from it -- is a white floral, quite penetrating at the start and drying down to powdery grown-up insence, very nice). Also try Histoires de Parfums, Frederic Malle, Parfums d'Empire, Les Parfums de Rosine. A person needs at least one Serge Lutens in their life and at least one L'Artisan.
    Thank you for the suggestions. At risk of sounding silly, where is the best place to go to smell your recommendations?

As far as No. 22, I am looking for something different. I am an emotional fragrance person. I want something different for every mood, setting, weather condition!

As for where to smell, Histoire de Parfums is at Henri Bendel on Fifth. Malle at Barney's on 59 and I believe they also have, or used to have, a standalone store on Madison. Serge Lutens at Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys, and Aedes de Venustas, and Rosine at Barney's and some niche stores. Parfums d'empire, if I remember correctly, at MiN New York in Soho.

cacio

Hi, and welcome!
    I think you have a very nice collection, hard to tell what you should seek out next, unless you know what type of fragrance you are looking for. You are lucky, living close to NYC, but randomly smelling lots of stuff could lead to more confusion, at least that s my experience.
    Why don t you start with your samples; read about the notes, write down your impressions, etc, etc. Maybe you ll find special notes you like/dislike? If, for instance, you find you absolutely adore iris, you could order sample packs with iris scents as a start.
    Or, you could explore the houses/lines one by one...
    Best of luck!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I'd rec Drole de Rose by L'artisan, Lipstick Rose and Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle.

You can get samples through Luckyscent, Surrender To Chance, Perfumed Court, or a good deal is that Aedes Sample Service, you can get seven samples for 15 dollars(not affiliated with any of these, of course)

http://www.aedes.com/Aedes-Sample-Service_p_908.html

Or, you could get like a rose sample set from a place like Surrender to Chance to explore different rose scents and see which ones you like.

Welcome to BN!
    Last edited by kalli; 26th December 2012 at 08:36 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thank you, cacio, for NYC addresses. I would've been clueless, you know....

6/10

When you like roses and Chanel N19 you should try Rive Gauche by YSL. Roses are not for me but from time to time I love to wear this deep mossy, metal rosy fragrance. I don't know If I should feel kind of a relief when it comes to the very dry down which is pretty cosy. Or if I should take another spritz of excitement (I own the EdP version).
    They – N19 and RG – were both launched in 1971. And you can smell it. Maybe it needs the vintage versions to comprehend nose-wise their relationship.
    Last edited by Graphite; 27th December 2012 at 07:39 PM.