Code of Conduct

Thread: Grown to Love

CologneFan85

Default Grown to Love

What fragrance at first have you disliked, but now enjoy? I'm sure there are a few like this for everyone...As for me it would be L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent. At first I felt that it was to feminine with it's Violet dry down. But this last few weeks I have been wearing it and I am enjoying it. I still get a Violet dry down, but now with almost a pear juice sweetness. Its a very smooth fragrance IMO. And I have received a few compliments from my G/F. She had asked why I haven't worn this and telling me how much she enjoys it on me. This is starting to become a favorite of mine. Btw for those who haven't smelt this fragrance It can def labeled as a unisex fragrance. I will be continuing to wear this for the next week as see how it holds up.

I am getting a full 8 hours of longevity, and Its projection is high on my skin. " Based on cold Weather"

Default Re: Grown to Love

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange. When I first smelled it, I didn't have much experience with the leather genre, and so I found it impossibly bitter. Later I learned to enjoy the bitterness, but I also came to appreciate other facets of the scent that I'd missed before.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange. When I first smelled it, I didn't have much experience with the leather genre, and so I found it impossibly bitter. Later I learned to enjoy the bitterness, but I also came to appreciate other facets of the scent that I'd missed before.
    I felt the same abut leather notes also

Van Cleef & Arples pour Homme. Blind bought a bottle of the new stuff about a year ago. At first, the deep, dark woods, moss and florals were quite a bit to digest. I wore this for about a week straight when I went to bed to give myself a chance to figure this out. After this week, I felt I understood what was going on a little better but still wasn't completely sold. When I revisited it a couple months later I was hooked. So much so that I sought out and bought a bottle of the vintage juice, which, to my great pleasure, I found to be even deeper and darker. Don't dispair if you don't get this one at first, it is somewhat of an acquired taste. Once you have acquired that taste though, there's no turning back.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Up to a certain point: Joop! Homme. Also, CK One Shock (didn't dislike this one, but was reluctant about it at first).

Sound Scents

Like is more accurate in my case, but Habit Rouge is one of only a couple it has ever happened for me. I disliked it at first, but it grows on you.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Have never disliked a fragrance I've purchased for my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    Van Cleef & Arples pour Homme. Blind bought a bottle of the new stuff about a year ago. At first, the deep, dark woods, moss and florals were quite a bit to digest. I wore this for about a week straight when I went to bed to give myself a chance to figure this out. After this week, I felt I understood what was going on a little better but still wasn't completely sold. When I revisited it a couple months later I was hooked. So much so that I sought out and bought a bottle of the vintage juice, which, to my great pleasure, I found to be even deeper and darker. Don't dispair if you don't get this one at first, it is somewhat of an acquired taste. Once you have acquired that taste though, there's no turning back.
    This is a fabulous one. The only difference with me is that I liked it from the start..
    More recently, I picked up Azzaro PH for $20 at TJ Maxx. At first I was disappointed with the scent and longevity. Now I think the scent is pretty good so I'll continue to give it a chance as far as longevity. Maybe just spray more. I'm not sure this latest formulation is a "powerhouse" as apparently it once was, but I think I'll keep it around.

I didn't "dislike" it as such, but I bought New Haarlem blind, and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a coffee fragrance, and I got syrup. To this day I don't smell coffee in it. But I do love it now.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Like is more accurate in my case, but Habit Rouge is one of only a couple it has ever happened for me. I disliked it at first, but it grows on you.
    Yes! I hated Habit Rouge when I was first exploring perfumes. What I was looking for was a sort of stylized natural aroma, and so I headed straight into the niche world of compositions in which a single note is dominant and the natural world is the touchstone of success. I liked relatively few traditional French compositions, although a handful of Guerlains were too good not to like immediately as smells even before I cared about them as compositions. Habit Rouge in particular seemed gaudy, too heady, too too. Like the fantasy of pirates of someone I didn't like.
    Then about two months ago I went back to a decant of the EdT that Roberto (thanks, friends!) made for me some years ago. And found it to be really marvelous. The orange blossom I now recognize from New York and other frags, and the opopanax feels rich and soft and refers to many other orientals. Just marvelous stuff. Glad that life is, contrary to popular opinion, long.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I didn't "dislike" it as such, but I bought New Haarlem blind, and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a coffee fragrance, and I got syrup. To this day I don't smell coffee in it. But I do love it now.
    Yeah its almost like pancakes or French Toast.

Frapin - 1697 (absolu concentration)

At first I wasn't really wowed by it, but after I got through my 2 ml I really wanted to grab a full bottle. Since then it's probably become my favorite out of everything that I own.

Bulgari Black is one I didn't like at first. The rubber smell was not my thing, but after a couple of wears, the rubber wasn't bad and the lovely vanilla kicked in for a good frag.

Fahrenheit

Banned
    Blog Entries

1 Million

Hated it when I first tried it, purchased it hesistantly, liked a little bit, and now I love it.

Chanel No.22

The notorious aldehydes were too intense to deal with at first, but now my nose is glued to my wrist every time I wear it.

I wouldn't call it love but happy to have it around, Breath of God. Funny top notes then it dries down and is pretty neat. I do enjoy it sometimes.