Code of Conduct

Default Unknown niche vanillas

I'm looking for not so known vanilla based fragrances. Don't mention SVD, Tonka Imperiale, Eau Duelle, Havana Vanille, Tobacco Vanille etc, they are widely known. I want more "under the radar" stuff that can compare to the ones listed. Have you smelt Lira by Xerjoff or Orchidee Vanille by VCA? That's kind of what I'm looking for. I need something similar to those. Big + for huge projection and longevity frags. Name everyone you know of. Exclude the ouds and the leathers/woods!

Default Re: Unknown niche vanillas

Vanille Absolu by La Maison de La Vanille

Profumum Dulcis in Fundo

I've sniffed Dulcis In Fundo, love at first sniff! I need to order a sample of Vanille Absolu tho. Thank you guys!

Micallef's Note Vanille is a scrumptious, boozy, toasty vanilla that will rock you.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Micallef's Note Vanille is a scrumptious, boozy, toasty vanilla that will rock you.
    Can you give me a mini review including which notes stands out the most? Longevity and projection as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Can you give me a mini review including which notes stands out the most? Longevity and projection as well. Thanks!
    Well, it features some citrus notes, but right from the start what you get is vanilla, rum, cognac and amber, a really boozy combination which is more edible than alcoholic. I can't get ahold of my sample now, but the longevity is good, can't really tell you about projection as I don't remember well.

I also recommend Vanille Galante, which also has notes of white flowers (I can smell a lovely lily note).

Well, it features some citrus notes, but right from the start what you get is vanilla, rum, cognac and amber, a really boozy combination which is more edible than alcoholic. I can't get ahold of my sample now, but the longevity is good, can't really tell you about projection as I don't remember well.

I also recommend Vanille Galante, which also has notes of white flowers (I can smell a lovely lily note).
    Thank you for your review!
    I just recently read about Art Collection 102 for Women by M. Micallef which sounds more like my thing, from what I've read and heard. Tried it?

I've tried Vanille Galante but hated it, unfortunately. I smelled no vanilla what so ever. Just a bouquet of flowers, too feminine even for a guy like me who loves sugary sweet scents. The flowers used in Vanille Galante ain't my thing.

Thank you for your review!
    I just recently read about Art Collection 102 for Women by M. Micallef which sounds more like my thing, from what I've read and heard. Tried it?

I've tried Vanille Galante but hated it, unfortunately. I smelled no vanilla what so ever. Just a bouquet of flowers, too feminine even for a guy like me who loves sugary sweet scents. The flowers used in Vanille Galante ain't my thing.
    No, I haven't tried the one you mention. Micallef's perfumes are not the easiest to spot, although more often than not, they are worth it.
    I think you really have to like white flowers in order to enjoy Vanille Galante. I am a sucker for tuberose, jasmine and such, so I am not afraid of the feminine thing, lol!

Eau des baux from L' Occitane.

No, I haven't tried the one you mention. Micallef's perfumes are not the easiest to spot, although more often than not, they are worth it.
    I think you really have to like white flowers in order to enjoy Vanille Galante. I am a sucker for tuberose, jasmine and such, so I am not afraid of the feminine thing, lol!
    Well, this site offers 45 fragrances from the Micallef house, Note Vanillee isn't one of them :/ I need to find a sample of it!
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/catalo..._store=english

Well, this site offers 45 fragrances from the Micallef house, Note Vanillee isn't one of them :/ I need to find a sample of it!
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/catalo..._store=english
    That really sucks, because I got my sample from them, about a year or so ago. I fear it might have been discontinued...

Micallef Cuir Vanilla is good too

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Eau des baux from L' Occitane.
    Without a doubt one of the most underrated scents!
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Molinard Les Orientaux Vanille.

They have several other vanilla scents like Vanille Patchouli, Autour De La Vanille...

I don't know how easy this would be to get in Sweden, but Memoirs of a Trespasser by Invisible Authors is my favorite unknown niche vanilla by a wide margin.

That really sucks, because I got my sample from them, about a year or so ago. I fear it might have been discontinued...
    Im up as all good insomniacs are at 4 am. Yes, it was discontinued a while ago. I thought it was outstanding. I may have sourced a single bottle, but it's yet to reach me so I can't count my chickens yet.

I also hated Vanilla Galante, so we may have similar tastes. My recommendations:

Profumum Acqua e Zucchero
    By Kilian Love
    L'occitane Eau des Baux (absolute bargain)
    Laura Mercier Vanilla Gourmand (straight up vanilla)
    Trish McEvoy blackberry and vanilla
    Indult Tihota (sadly discontinued too)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think any of Micallef's new vanillas are a patch on Note Vanillee, which gives SDV a run for its money IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops forgot to add a few more worth sampling:

CB I hate perfume 7 billion hearts (smoky)
    Le Labo vanille 44
    Mona di Orio Vanille (tobacco)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    Im up as all good insomniacs are at 4 am. Yes, it was discontinued a while ago. I thought it was outstanding. I may have sourced a single bottle, but it's yet to reach me so I can't count my chickens yet.

I also hated Vanilla Galante, so we may have similar tastes. My recommendations:

Profumum Acqua e Zucchero
    By Kilian Love
    L'occitane Eau des Baux (absolute bargain)
    Laura Mercier Vanilla Gourmand (straight up vanilla)
    Trish McEvoy blackberry and vanilla
    Indult Tihota (sadly discontinued too)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think any of Micallef's new vanillas are a patch on Note Vanillee, which gives SDV a run for its money IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops forgot to add a few more worth sampling:

CB I hate perfume 7 billion hearts (smoky)
    Le Labo vanille 44
    Mona di Orio Vanille (tobacco)
    Thank you for those recommendations!
    Aqua e Zucchero is the only one I own a full bottle of, from the ones you listed. Vanitas from the same house will be my next purchase.

Eau des Baux is good to some extend. I don't like the incensy feeling it gives, but the vanilla is to die for!
    Vanille Gourmande from LM is one hell of a vanilla fragrances, sooo delicious! The only downfall with it is it's longevity which is minimal. Same thing for the projection.
    The other ones has been transferred to my sample list!
    Thank you.

Santa Maria Novella's Vaniglia is great: slightly spicy vanilla of the highest quality. It could be perceived as slightly smoky, but the vanilla is always the center piece of this fragrance. Very wearable also, the only pure vanilla I enjoy wearing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I don't know how easy this would be to get in Sweden, but Memoirs of a Trespasser by Invisible Authors is my favorite unknown niche vanilla by a wide margin.
    lt's by lmaginary Authors, actually, but l agree; a gorgeous, not-too-sweet, smoky, boozy vanilla.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Figue et Vanille by Planter's. Not sure who they are but ingredient quality seems quite high.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th February 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lt's by lmaginary Authors, actually, but l agree; a gorgeous, not-too-sweet, smoky, boozy vanilla.
    Oops! Sorry about that! I always make that mistake for some strange reason.

Pure Virgin by The Different Company. I sniffed it for the first time on Friday and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Without a doubt one of the most underrated scents!
    +1 One of my favorites.

Basenotes Institution

The above recommendation for Tihota by Indult is good, however in your OP you said no leathers and this one has leather so you know.

Try Montale's Vanille Absolu. Like many of the fragrances in this line, it is bananas strong. Too much for me. But if strong vanilla is what you're looking for I say go for it.

My personal go-to over-the-radar-strong-vanilla is SDV by Guerlain. One is enough, IMO, for my wardrobe. Besides this, I guess I would have to say I'm much more drawn to scents where vanilla is a 'part' of an overall scent and doesn't stand out so strongly...like Shalimar by Guerlain (vintage Eau de Cologne or Parfum)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The above recommendation for Tihota by Indult is good, however in your OP you said no leathers and this one has leather so you know.

Try Montale's Vanille Absolu. Like many of the fragrances in this line, it is bananas strong. Too much for me. But if strong vanilla is what you're looking for I say go for it.

My personal go-to over-the-radar-strong-vanilla is SDV by Guerlain. One is enough, IMO, for my wardrobe. Besides this, I guess I would have to say I'm much more drawn to scents where vanilla is a 'part' of an overall scent and doesn't stand out so strongly...like Shalimar by Guerlain (vintage Eau de Cologne or Parfum)
    Vanille Absolu is one fragrance I have to sample as soon as possible! Can't wait.
    I haven't tried SDV yet, but would love to sample that one out too. (haven't seen samples anywhere)

As far as vanilla mixed with other notes, I love that as well. But it's kind of hard for me to find a good one since I don't like the incense-y, leathery and musky scents, which these is a lot of these days. I don't mind the boozy vanillas tho, especially the boozy quality of Havana Vanille/Vanille Absolument. Delicious!

Thanks for the comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Vanille Absolu is one fragrance I have to sample as soon as possible! Can't wait.
    I haven't tried SDV yet, but would love to sample that one out too. (haven't seen samples anywhere)

As far as vanilla mixed with other notes, I love that as well. But it's kind of hard for me to find a good one since I don't like the incense-y, leathery and musky scents, which these is a lot of these days. I don't mind the boozy vanillas tho, especially the boozy quality of Havana Vanille/Vanille Absolument. Delicious!

Thanks for the comment.

Vaniglia del Madagascar by Farmacia SS. Annunziata- a lemony opening and a lovely deep vanilla.

Sarah Horowitz Perfect Vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    Vaniglia del Madagascar by Farmacia SS. Annunziata- a lemony opening and a lovely deep vanilla.
    Ooh yes, that is a nice one!

Not niche, but have you tried Alien Essence Absolue? Forget what you think you know about Alien; this one is all about the heliotrope, & the wonderfully smoky vanilla drydown.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Not niche, but have you tried Alien Essence Absolue? Forget what you think you know about Alien; this one is all about the heliotrope, & the wonderfully smoky vanilla drydown.
    Is heliotrope that note that smells like vanilla? Will deff check that one out!

Blog Entries

Is heliotrope that note that smells like vanilla? Will deff check that one out!
    More like almonds, but it pairs very well with vanilla.

More like almonds, but it pairs very well with vanilla.
    I love almonds! Need to sample it

You did try Mandorlo di Sicilia right?

Aftelier Vanille Insensee is worth trying just to understand how strangely disgusting it is, Its a very weird scent.

Mmm how could I forget the Farmacia? Lovely stuff.

Teardrop, thanks for the tip, will check out your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrem View Post
    You did try Mandorlo di Sicilia right?
    Yes, and I loved it. However, I won't be getting a bottle since the longevity was terrible. Same thing goes for projection as well. Shame, I really liked it

My favourite straight forward vanilla hasn't been mentioned: Agonist Vanilla Marble - a beautiful cake-y vanilla, light and sweet as icing sugar with a touch of coconut and other things. Beautifully simplistic but a perfect vanilla representation for me. For something with a little more complexity up top but with the same vanilla drydown - Agonist Arctic Jade (my favourite of the two) but not just a vanilla.

Yes, and I loved it. However, I won't be getting a bottle since the longevity was terrible. Same thing goes for projection as well. Shame, I really liked it
    Yeah, longevity is not good. But I just reapply a zillion times!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    My favourite straight forward vanilla hasn't been mentioned: Agonist Vanilla Marble - a beautiful cake-y vanilla, light and sweet as icing sugar with a touch of coconut and other things. Beautifully simplistic but a perfect vanilla representation for me. For something with a little more complexity up top but with the same vanilla drydown - Agonist Arctic Jade (my favourite of the two) but not just a vanilla.
    Consider me intrigued. I will sample both the Agonists.

Basenotes Institution

...I haven't tried SDV yet, but would love to sample that one out too. (haven't seen samples anywhere)...
    SDV smells like a niche vanilla scent (whatever that means...LOL). Really, you need to try it. It's very boozy-esqe. Nice stuff. Guerlain never made manufacturer samples of it, so you'd need to get a sample from an online decanting site that ships to your country.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    Yeah, longevity is not good. But I just reapply a zillion times!

- - - Updated - - -

Consider me intrigued. I will sample both the Agonists.
    That's a lovely idea. I've only sampled Vanilla Marble, and it's an awesome scent. I can recommend you trying Black Amber if you like your amber scents animalistic, extremely dark and evil!