Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Spraying or daubing, there IS a difference

I have seen a lot of complaints from people about not liking fragrances based on small samples. I have found in my experience that some (especially Montale and other niche) cannot be appreciated with a glob of pure fragrance applied with a finger or wand. I have gotten in the habit of only getting samples in atomizers, or at least transferring them to an atomizer before applying. Some smell COMPLETELY different when aerosolized. Any one else agree?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Spraying or daubing, there IS a difference

Agree that spraying is preferable to daubing.

Basenotes Plus

This is why I keep a stock of 1.5-2ml atomizers handy. Unless it is something with a high concentration of oils, then yes, the way I find it best to make a real informed decision is to spray, not dab.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    This is why I keep a stock of 1.5-2ml atomizers handy. Unless it is something with a high concentration of oils, then yes, the way I find it best to make a real informed decision is to spray, not dab.
    True, I would NEVER spray Amouage Tribute or Homage Attar!!! They are definitely tip of the wand fragrances.

I notice a LOT less longevity/sillage when daubing vs spraying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    I notice a LOT less longevity/sillage when daubing vs spraying.
    It also smells completely different. First time I smelled Aventus, I hated it b/c daubed on it smelled like an ashtray. First time I smelled Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille it smelled like pure vanilla extract daubed on. Once I tried them sprayed, the nuances of each came out much better.

For low concentration things like edc, I prefer spraying too. Spraying gives an initial oomph that's lost with daubing. But for regular frags, I don't mind daubing. While you loose the iniitial strength, the drydown isn't much different. Of course, one also has to remember that when daubing one tends to use less perfume than with spraying - so it is true that spraying is more convenient, daubing requires several movements back and forth with cap and bottle.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

hednic, my friend.

Happy Holidays! While I agree with most compositions this is the case - for note separation, equal amounts being applied to spots on your skin, etc. - there are examples where dabbing (for me) is preferred.

Case in point, my SOTE last night that has carried into today - Drakkar Noir. I am in a layered wearing of Current formulation (sprayed on) with Vintage DN (potent juice!), dabbed-on...as I prefer it. I apply 5-6 dabs to my pulse points on my neck and 2-3 to the back of each of my hands. The current formulation typically sprayed on over the top. However, when I 'touch-up' the wearing, I literally do so by putting a couple dabs right back where they were and it just radiates wonderfully!

There are only a handful of scents that I prefer to "dab". Splash - different story.

I love Vintage Musks - Monsieur Musk, Jovan for Men, Jovan Sex Appeal and Royal Copenhagen Musk...all splashed on.

Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons is another - a measured pour from the 500ml jug into the cap and then cup my hand and give 3 splashes - 1 to my chest, 1 to my neck and 1 more to backs of my hands and arms. As my shirt absorbs the scent...it, too, shows wonderfully (but still a close-in scent, and an excellent one at that).

So, it depends on the juice...Vintage Caron Pour un Homme is one that I enjoy both splashed on and sprayed on (but closely sprayed, ie. concentrated).

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree that spraying is preferable to daubing.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Me too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    It also smells completely different. First time I smelled Aventus, I hated it b/c daubed on it smelled like an ashtray. First time I smelled Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille it smelled like pure vanilla extract daubed on. Once I tried them sprayed, the nuances of each came out much better.
    Absolutely. It had me trying to figure out whether I still wanted a FB of Vanille Galante (as I thought I did all this while) or not.

Tried VG at several Hermes shops, on both card and skin, and loved it. Now I'm aware that some folks smell banana and melon (which I hate) in VG but neither seemed like a problem for me, and I thought this review summed up my sentiments exactly: "It sounds just like something I’d hate — melon and banana! — but it’s simply gorgeous."

And then I daubed it on from the (wonderfully generous) sample, only to get thwacked over the head by a huge melon that stayed way past the early stages.

Finally tried VG again at a (different) Hermes, and it was more like how I'd remembered it, though by now I simply couldn't get the melon out of my mind anymore.

I'm waiting for a new batch of atomizers to arrive in the mail so I can try my sample sprayed. But do you reckon that it could be put down to the effect of daubing rather than spraying? Or could it simply be a dodgy sample? (but really? From Hermes?)

P.S.: Been lurking (and learning) on BN for some time, but this was something I finally thought I could reply to.

CologneFan85

I don't see it smelling different, but I noticed the longevity is way less.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have to swim against the stream here.

In my experience using vial rollers v vial/bottle sprayers v splash bottles the only difference I noted is that the spritzed juice seems spread thinner and over what is often a larger area. On the molecular level each droplet of either spray or rolled on (splashed/applied) contains the exact same concentration of different molecules, tens of millions or more of them, of the various components of the frag. These molecules of fragrance do not know if they have been sprayed or splashed or rolled on and therefore act through pure physics as though they don't. Lighter/more volatile molecules (read Top Notes) will perform according to the physical laws the same way that mid-weight/mid-range volatility molecules (read Middle Notes) and heavier/less volatile molecules (read Basenotes) no matter what the application method, as they are totally mixed prior to, during and after application. Gravitional forces, Van der Waals Force, Molecular/atomic actions, diffusion, sillage, evaporation etc. are unconcerned with the application methods described. They follow the laws of physics, not those of personal bias.

In all situations, involving the same surfaces and the same external conditions, when applying various application methods for the same frags, I have experienced similar Opening Notes/Mid Notes/Basenotes in just about every frag I can recall using any of the various methods of application.

If someone can provide me with a reasonable physics explanation that there should be a marked difference in frags using various applications other than anecdotal incidents I would love to think about that explanation. For the present I am thinking any differences noted through the various application methods involve a personal bias. And my own personal experience reinforces that mode of thinking, the idea that any particular application method makes no tangible difference to the user other than a preconceived notion as to what it might.

In other words, excluding personal bias, the experience should be virtually the same no matter how the frag is applied--within reason of course).
    Last edited by kbe; 30th December 2012 at 08:23 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I think a big part of the reason that spraying gives better longevity/sillage/projection is that you use more, spread over a larger area. Most sprayers I've encountered actually shoot out a pretty large amount.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

In my experience using vial rollers v vial/bottle sprayers v splash bottles the only difference I noted is that the spritzed juice seems spread thinner and over what is often a larger area. On the molecular level each droplet of either spray or rolled on (splashed/applied) contains the exact same concentration of different molecules, tens of millions or more of them, of the various components of the frag. These molecules of fragrance do not know if they have been sprayed or splashed or rolled on and therefore act through pure physics as though they don't. Lighter/more volatile molecules (read Top Notes) will perform according to the physical laws the same way that mid-weight/mid-range volatility molecules (read Middle Notes) and heavier/less volatile molecules (read Basenotes) no matter what the application method, as they are totally mixed prior to, during and after application. Gravitional forces, Van der Waals Force, Molecular/atomic actions, diffusion, sillage, evaporation etc. are unconcerned with the application methods described. They follow the laws of physics, not those of personal bias.

In all situations, involving the same surfaces and the same external conditions, when applying various application methods for the same frags, I have experienced similar Opening Notes/Mid Notes/Basenotes in just about every frag I can recall using any of the various methods of application.

If someone can provide me with a reasonable physics explanation that there should be a marked difference in frags using various applications other than anecdotal incidents I would love to think about that explanation. For the present I am thinking any differences noted through the various application methods involve a personal bias. And my own personal experience reinforces that mode of thinking, the idea that any particular application method makes no tangible difference to the user other than a preconceived notion as to what it might.

In other words, excluding personal bias, the experience should be virtually the same no matter how the frag is applied--within reason of course).
    Very well said. My one direct comparison is vintage Third Man. I have a 50ml splash bottle and a 30ml spray bottle currently open. The only difference I've noticed is that the top notes fade a little more quickly with the spray, I attribute this to the fact that the spray bottle has been open for almost 20 years whereas the splash has been open for about 5 years.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Your logic is flawed for one reason. Let's assume we started with the exact same amount of molocules of fragrance in a daub and in a spray. Now, the surface area of application in square inches is vastly different. Let's pretend that the daub/roll was 4 daubs each 2 square inches for a total of 8 square inches of surface area. NOW the spray went on in a 6 inch by 6 inch area which is 36 square inches. THe transfer of heat via radiation from 36 square inch area is exponentially higher than from the radiation from 8 square inch area. So the molecules are lifted, then moved by convection around the body moving into the room at a much more efficient way. Think of it this way, take a thimble full of gasoline and dump it in the corner of your garage, note the strength. Now take a thimble of gasoline, and atomize it in a garage, over as large an area as you can...Which will smell more?

Think of it this way, take a thimble full of gasoline and dump it in the corner of your garage, note the strength. Now take a thimble of gasoline, and atomize it in a garage, over as large an area as you can...Which will smell more?
    When you spray a fragrance on you, you don't carry all of the air around you with you when you walk away. A garage is pretty much going to maintain the same air in it. I'm not saying there wouldn't be any difference otherwise, but if you atomize gasoline in a garage as compared to dumping in one spot, the biggest difference will be that the atomized gasoline will be noticed before it hits the floor.

Also, one can touch one's wrists together or wrist to neck and spread the juice around a bit which wouldn't contrast with spraying as much as atomized gasoline in a garage contrasts with gasoline dumped in the corner.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Your logic is flawed for one reason. Let's assume we started with the exact same amount of molocules of fragrance in a daub and in a spray. Now, the surface area of application in square inches is vastly different. Let's pretend that the daub/roll was 4 daubs each 2 square inches for a total of 8 square inches of surface area. NOW the spray went on in a 6 inch by 6 inch area which is 36 square inches. THe transfer of heat via radiation from 36 square inch area is exponentially higher than from the radiation from 8 square inch area. So the molecules are lifted, then moved by convection around the body moving into the room at a much more efficient way. Think of it this way, take a thimble full of gasoline and dump it in the corner of your garage, note the strength. Now take a thimble of gasoline, and atomize it in a garage, over as large an area as you can...Which will smell more?

I probably wasn't clear enough (see the underlined/bold below) in indicating that when I apply via roller or splash I tend to apply fragrance over what I consider to be a similar area as when I spritz and also apply what I consider to be a similar volume of fragrance. Others may use less in either volume or area when using roll on application and if so they are then comparing apples and oranges. With the nature of splash application of frags however I think most would apply a far larger volume of fragrance to a larger area of skin than with spritzing and by your logic (which I do not disagree with) should project more than spritzing and not the other way.

The point I was trying to make is that in my experience applying similar amounts of fragrance over similar amounts of skin area by spritz, roller or splash produces similar sillage/projection/noticeability and if it is noted by the wearer there is a marked difference with one of the methods of application then perhaps a personal bias or failure to use similar application amounts/total area covered has prevented a valid comparison.

"In all situations, involving the same surfaces and the same external conditions, when applying various application methods for the same frags, I have experienced similar Opening Notes/Mid Notes/Basenotes in just about every frag I can recall using any of the various methods of application."
    Last edited by kbe; 31st December 2012 at 03:42 PM.

As an Ex-chemistry major with an interest in physics, I can't see a convincing reason why there would be any difference if both methods ended up spreading the same amount of fluid over the same total surface area.

The only difference I can possibly see is if somehow there was some kind of oxidation effect that took place during the brief time that the tiny spray droplets were passing through the air on their way to the skin, and at this point in time, I've yet to hear anyone contend that this effect forms the basis of the apparently perceived differences.

If you were to ask me, I could probably go with the idea that a sprayer does indeed tend to pump out more overall juice than one gets when they daub...particularly when it comes to those small wand samples.

I've heard others say this, which is why I always transfer samples to atomizers before applying. Plus, samples are easier to apply for a daily wear that way.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post

If you were to ask me, I could probably go with the idea that a sprayer does indeed tend to pump out more overall juice than one gets when they daub...particularly when it comes to those small wand samples.
    That is a reasonable explanation as to why the many wearers claim a better 'experience' with spritzing--more juice.

For me there is a little bit of a difference, but it's never super big for me.

Basenotes Plus

Good insight, Birdboy48 -

A fragrance with a lot of depth and/or breadth in notes will show itself differently upon application when sprayed versus being daubing. It is the effect of the oxidation (or exposure to oxygen) and how the notes "separate" when they are misted onto our skin versus direct transfer to the skin. Over time, the effect is less, but depending on the fragrance...I personally find a different vibe and presentation of the composition.

Two good cases in point - Caron Pour Un Homme. A timeless classic that I adore. I prefer to splash it on or spray at a very close distance to 'stack' the scent. The way this 3-part composition unveils itself is totally different when sprayed from a bit of distance. The vanilla comes to the fore (a base note) and can dominate the scent. The methods I prefer (splash or very close spray and then lightly rubbing it in allows the lavender to sit on top of the musk and vanilla) - which is the beauty of the scent. This is especially true with current formulation, which has more vanilla and less musk. It can get a bit 'doughy'-smelling with the vanilla being dominant. However, the lavender is there, you just have to give it proper application to let it sit-up and announce itself. The lavender is deeper in Vintage formulation and displays itself beautifully. The herbal (green/sharp) tonality of the lavender connects with the musk while the floral quality finds a connection to the vanilla. A soliflore of lavender - but only if applied by this method. Once you spray from a distance, the composition separates too much and one does not achieve the brilliance and depth in the scent (especially true with current). I still apply Vintage closely to get the best desired effect, but a bit of distance doesn't reveal the same level of vanilla (and, therefore, no 'doughy'-vibe). A brilliant composition of scent, but for me, a textbook case of "how" one applies it is essential to your understanding and perspective of it.

2nd case in point is actually opposite - Vintage Jacques Bogart Pour Homme Witness. I got a couple of 1.6oz splash bottles a while back. There is a lot going on in this fragrance. I initially applied by splash and the notes were rather muddled. It still dried down rather nicely, but the top and heart notes were not able to 'breathe'. I decanted into a nice glass atomizer and now only apply the scent by spray. The top notes are vibrant and the heart notes separate. Truly a very intricate composition that now is able to display itself...the key, being note separation. Still the great dry down.

So, opposite of what the desired effect is with Caron Pour Un Homme (for me), where focusing the scent provides the desired 'effect' or presentation.

It is not about "more" necessarily...but "how" the scent is able to separate. Complexity, richness and depth of a composition do have something to do with it, as well as how far away one should spray.

Saturated, close-in spraying of Vintage Kouros smells and wears different than sprayed from a bit of distance (6"-12" away provides a different wearing). Same composition, obviously, but how it interacts with one's body chemistry in a daub "blob" or close-in spray is actually rather different.

Personally, if I want to project and get a very rich/strong and full wearing but also a complete olfactory experience that is not too overbearing - a couple close-in shots to the neck and back of my hands, with a couple from a bit of distance to my neck and chest is my preferred way to wear it...brilliant, actually.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    As an Ex-chemistry major with an interest in physics, I can't see a convincing reason why there would be any difference if both methods ended up spreading the same amount of fluid over the same total surface area.

The only difference I can possibly see is if somehow there was some kind of oxidation effect that took place during the brief time that the tiny spray droplets were passing through the air on their way to the skin, and at this point in time, I've yet to hear anyone contend that this effect forms the basis of the apparently perceived differences.

Last edited by ericrico; 2nd January 2013 at 05:46 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

If it comes in a bottle with a spray mechanism I spray. If it doesn't then I either dab (Extraits, Attars) or just pour the bottle over my head (Eaux de Colognes and Mandon). Someone should report companies that send out stupid little sample tubes with stupid little plastic caps that cause you to spill half the damn thing when you do finally get it open to the IFRA - they are there to protect us from this sort of thing, you know.

I feel I usually get better sillage and longevity when sprayed. I have noticed some of my fragrances smell differently when sprayed/splashed, but also that spraying doesn't always better. I do have to say I prefer spraying, though.

I buy the smallest roll-on bottles I can find. Recently i have had a good lot of 1/2 dram glass roll-ons that are just great. One typical sample vial will fill the roll-on bottle approx 3/4 and it will last FAR longer than if I were to spray or even daub the sample.

For me, I will stick with my roll-ons. Easy to pocket. and easy to stretch the samples from 1-2 days to 1-2 weeks if done correctly.

I feel frags react differently when sprayed. I feel daubing does not reveal how the fragrance was intended to perform.