Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you store you scents?

I know there would've been threads like this before but I just wanted to know if you guys store your scents in their boxes or out of them?

I ask because I've been storing mine on a pedestal in my room, in their boxes even though my room never gets any direct sunlight. I've decided now to keep my collection private and have moved all the bottles into a cupboard. The bottles are gorgeous and the only time I get to see them is when I'm about to wear the particular scent.

Have any of you had scents go bad when stored out of box?

Also, I know that when in the box a scent should easily last 5 years, would it last for significantly less time if not stored in the box?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you store you scents?

I keep mine in plastic storage boxes, but i'm always looking for better ways to store them. Gets more and more difficult the more bottles I buy!

I used to have all of mine on a dresser. I changed that when my collection exceeded ten bottles. Now I keep about eight bottles on my dresser (my current "rotation") and the rest are in a box in an otherwise little used closet, away from heat and light.

Every month or so I switch a few out based on my mood.

I'd love to have a cabinet or some such thing to store them in near my bathroom where I get dressed, but space and money prevent that option.

And I don't think storing in or out of the box makes any difference as long as the bottles themselves are kept away from heat and light. The box protects from light, but if the bottles are in a dark closet anyway, it shouldn't really matter.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

In their original boxes, these in turn stored in dark, cool yet not refrigerated, aired, dry cabinets and/or shelves, away from any sunlight and even most of the artificial light.

I have mine stored in their boxes on shelves away from direct sunlight and heat sources.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine in their boxes. That said, if you keep them in the dark, even without a box, there should be no problem. In addition, 5 years isn't a long time for frags, they can last decades. Likely, they will survive 5 years even if stored outside of their boxes and in the open, as long as of course you avoid direct sunlight. Stored in the dark and in a relatively cold place, they will last for decades.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently picked up a nice wine/beverage cooler which I keep them in. I have the temp set at 55*. So far, very satisfied with this arrangement.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep them out of their boxes in a dedicated cabinet. Backups and vintage stash are stored in boxes in a closet. Here's the cabinet:

[
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

In a cupboard that has a door. Dark and cool.
    I throw away boxes. Except that damn beautiful Idole de Lubin one.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a small collection, so I just use a clear plastic storage box. I keep the original box of some of my fragrances in the closet.

In their boxes in my walk in closet which has artificial light. I figure they will get the least light exposure if I open each box as and when needed. My collection is small though.

I love your cabinet rubegon. Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep mine outside the box because I like to look at them. I keep the original boxes, if I have it, in the closet. I keep my collection on a large silver serving tray on my chest of drawers in a cool room away from direct sunlight and this seems to work just fine for my purposes.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

In a walk-in temperature and light controlled basement vault.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Now that is a SERIOUS collection!

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

What temp do you set it to?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    In their boxes in my walk in closet which has artificial light. I figure they will get the least light exposure if I open each box as and when needed. My collection is small though.

I love your cabinet rubegon. Wow!
    Thanks. It's all Ikea flat pack and LED strip lights. I did reinforce the wall mounting to make sure it would take the weight though.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

In a good sized mini-fridge on the minimum (least cold) setting.

I store most of my spray botles out of the boxes, in tilt-top breadboxes that are on shelves out of direct sunlight but exposed to artificial light and indirect sunlight, in a room that's kept at pretty normal room temperature. I don't know how much light leaks into the breadboxes when the lids are closed.

Most of my splash/dabber bottles and larger decants are out of their boxes, in a closed drawer in the same room.

Samples and sample-sized decants are stored in lidded boxes in the same room.

I'm not willing to store my perfumes where I can't see them fairly easily, but I do occasionally consider getting a fridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always kept my frags In my dresser chest. I have some frags that I bought 20 years ago and they still smell as fresh as they ever were.

That being said, I have bought some vintage stuff that's not even that old, that seems to be less than fresh.
    Probably stored poorly. So it seems that some care and at least minor precautions must be taken.

Complete with voice recognition and retinal scan?

I store mine in an old dresser in my basement, it's always dark and cool down there. I keep the boxes, but don't store my fragrances in them. Don't want to be messing around with boxes every morning.

How come you don't want to post a photo of your collection in the collection photo thread?

Sounds like it could be something that would get jaws dropping...