Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations Please

Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm currently searching for a new signature fragrance. I'm looking for a scent that isn't too sweet, as I've grown out of super sugary perfumes. My ideal scent would be light and fresh, subtly fruity and floral notes, and have a comforting warmness to it (I've long loved the warmth of vanilla scents).

Hope this isn't too difficult--of course I'm going to go on a testing spree this next week to figure things out with my own chemistry, but I would love your experienced suggestions.

Default Re: Recommendations Please

Welcome!

I assume you're looking for a female frag. As usual, it depends a lot on the budget and on what you have available.

The style you describe is in line with that of Annick Goutal, whose scents are however a little on the expensive side. (Examples could be Heure Exquise, Grand Amour, Songes, and many others).

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 28th December 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Montale Fruits of the Musk

Overcome By Fumes

Obviously, you should get what you like. We might be able to provide useful suggestions to you if you give us a little more background about yourself. There are 100s of fragrances that would meet your description.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Obviously, you should get what you like. We might be able to provide useful suggestions to you if you give us a little more background about yourself. There are 100s of fragrances that would meet your description.
    Yes, of course. I just thought that, in addition to my own research, it would be a good idea to get suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of or come across on my own. I fully plan on testing the fragrances I narrow it down to in person before buying or deciding on anything. As for more information about me--I'm a 20 year old girl going to university in California (major in French and Creative Writing). Personality wise, I guess I would say that I'm pretty down to earth--though true to being a pisces, I can get a little dreamy and out of it from time to time.

I like sandalwood, vanilla, and watery notes. I love the smell of fresh peaches and apple cider as well, if that tells you anything. Ideally, I'd like something that's warm and dreamy. I really hate powdery scents.

Blog Entries

lt's hard to think of fragrances that are both light & fresh, but also warm & comforting. l think you may enjoy these, though;

Hermessence Ambre Narguile, with it's transparent blend of spiced apples & vanilla pastry.

Samsara; my favourite sandalwood fragrance, but you need to also like jasmine to love this one.

Annick Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage; the beautiful scent of a garden after rain.

Welcome to basenotes, & happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lt's hard to think of fragrances that are both light & fresh, but also warm & comforting. l think you may enjoy these, though;

Hermessence Ambre Narguile, with it's transparent blend of spiced apples & vanilla pastry.

Samsara; my favourite sandalwood fragrance, but you need to also like jasmine to love this one.

Annick Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage; the beautiful scent of a garden after rain.

Welcome to basenotes, & happy sniffing!
    I have to say that out of the suggestions so far, I'm really intrigued by Hermessence Ambre Narguile and Annick Goutal's fragrances. It looks like I'm going to have to venture into Dallas to check these out in person. In addition, I took a trip to my nearby Ulta and tested a few designer fragrances. Liked CK Euphoria on and am going to try it out for a day. Also, despite the negative reviews on the forum here, I actually like D&G 3 L'Imperatrice. It lasted surprisingly long on me (in context of the forum comments), about 4-6 hours.

Still very open to more suggestions though!

Etat Libre d’Orange: Fils de Dieu, du Riz et des Agrumes. (meaning "Son of God, rice and citrus")

Notes of ginger, lime, coriander leaves, shiso, coconut, cardamom, rice, jasmine, cinnamon, French May rose, tonka bean, vetiver, musk, vanilla, amber, leather.

What is all adds up to is a citrusy, green opening, then you get jasmine, toasty rice, mild spices and a warm amber drydown. Unlike others in the ELDO-line this one does not have an avant garde bone in its body, and it's all the better because of it! Very sunny and happy fragrance, done in an oriental-light style.

Overcome By Fumes

May I suggest you try Dior Dolce Vita or Piguet Visa? Also Dior Hypnotic Poison for that fine apple cinnamon that's not quite too sweet.

My wife loved chanel chance, or dior addict

- - - Updated - - -

My wife loved chanel chance, or dior addict

Just ordered samples of 5 of your suggestions via The Perfumed Court. Ended up with Hermessence Ambre Narguile (very intrigued by this one, especially with the amazing reviews out there), Annick Goutal Songes & Eau de Charlotte, Dior Dolce, and Dior Hypnotic Poison. Will let you know what I end up thinking when they get here! Any thoughts on the above?

It seems a very good cross-section given your stated preferences for light and subtle. It goes from warmest and ambery (Ambre narguile) to most floral (Songes) to semi-sweet (hypnotic poison).

cacio